• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Appreciation/ Club Thread
12 12

1,166 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

I've always liked this book, even though when it first came out, I was long out of comics.  Really amazed at the popularity and the going prices considering there were so many copies printed and at a time when so many people were conscious of saving comics as potential investments.  

I think a lot of us comic collectors are stuck with weird views on quantities.  Coin collectors would consider 500,000 of a regular issued coin a low number... and there aren't any billion dollar movies about George Washington's head saving the day.

If you spread 500,000 of something across the 50 states, there are only 10,000 per state... now wait 30 years... how many got trashed?  How many survived in high grade?

How many people are buying current Spider-man books... where there isn't an important first appearance... where nothing happens at all... people who consider themselves serious collectors, readers, run completers... essentially "wasting" $50 per year on regular editions of worthless books of their favorite characters?

Now, how much is that 30 year old classic book in high grade?  Under $1,000... seems low.  People are paying $3,000+ for books from this decade in which... uh... nothing happens... and demand is high because supply is low because demand is high.  Circular logic never fails!

But anyway, back to our regular tunnel of vision. :kidaround:

Sent two copies at New York comic con to Todd for signing through scorpion comics and a cgc press combo. Still waiting almost 6 months later ... can't wait to see them. One I bought as a kid for 50 bux probably a vf and one high grade for 400 hoping for the 9.8 as it looked perfect. 

On 3/23/2018 at 1:26 PM, valiantman said:

I think a lot of us comic collectors are stuck with weird views on quantities.  Coin collectors would consider 500,000 of a regular issued coin a low number... and there aren't any billion dollar movies about George Washington's head saving the day.

If you spread 500,000 of something across the 50 states, there are only 10,000 per state... now wait 30 years... how many got trashed?  How many survived in high grade?

How many people are buying current Spider-man books... where there isn't an important first appearance... where nothing happens at all... people who consider themselves serious collectors, readers, run completers... essentially "wasting" $50 per year on regular editions of worthless books of their favorite characters?

Now, how much is that 30 year old classic book in high grade?  Under $1,000... seems low.  People are paying $3,000+ for books from this decade in which... uh... nothing happens... and demand is high because supply is low because demand is high.  Circular logic never fails!

But anyway, back to our regular tunnel of vision. :kidaround:

Ask that question to some of the people here, they'd say all of them are in 9.8+ condition and they all survived. They just haven't been to CGC...yet.  haha

Edited by Kevin76

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:36 PM, jason4 said:

Sent two copies at New York comic con to Todd for signing through scorpion comics and a cgc press combo. Still waiting almost 6 months later ... can't wait to see them. One I bought as a kid for 50 bux probably a vf and one high grade for 400 hoping for the 9.8 as it looked perfect. 

:sick: that's normal?  Never done the press so I wouldn't know.  But I'm not waiting 6 months for anything.  That's 2/3 of a pregnancylol

On 3/26/2018 at 1:05 PM, Kevin76 said:

Ask that question to some of the people here, they'd say all of them are in 9.8+ condition and they all survived. They just haven't been to CGC...yet.  haha

Just as a data point... 60 copies of ASM #300 graded between the March 20th and March 27th CGC Census.  One copy was 9.8, none higher, and the average universal grade was 8.6.

6 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

:sick: that's normal?  Never done the press so I wouldn't know.  But I'm not waiting 6 months for anything.  That's 2/3 of a pregnancylol

The press takes 1-2 months to happen. Other books I submitted with no press arrived in 1 month.

The problem here they told me was that todds signing wasn't until December which added two months onto the 3 months it would normally take. Add 1 month in a slow turnaround. 

I guess his signature with cgc label is not as easy to get as it used to be or as fast.

He was at New York comic con but only to sign some non cgc books and that had a lottery to get into or you found tickets somewhere and got lucky. For asm 300 I wanted certification from cgc. 

On 3/27/2018 at 5:29 PM, jason4 said:

The press takes 1-2 months to happen. Other books I submitted with no press arrived in 1 month.

The problem here they told me was that todds signing wasn't until December which added two months onto the 3 months it would normally take. Add 1 month in a slow turnaround. 

I guess his signature with cgc label is not as easy to get as it used to be or as fast.

He was at New York comic con but only to sign some non cgc books and that had a lottery to get into or you found tickets somewhere and got lucky. For asm 300 I wanted certification from cgc. 

Easier to just buy it  

2 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Easier to just buy it  

Yea but like most collectors I didn't have 2k laying around for one book.... so i went raw for 400 ...100 for signature and about 100 for grade press was only 600. Called today they said less than 2 weeks I'll post results

God...getting 9.8 is so impossible. My bro’s book looked absolutely perfect. Had it pressed and everything yet STILL comes back 9.6. Still happy but damn it must be microscopic differences. Will post pics later. My copy I bought in 1992 off the wall is coming back 8.5 which I’m happy also since I read it 50x as a kid. Should arrive today ?

On 4/14/2018 at 10:41 AM, jason4 said:

God...getting 9.8 is so impossible. My bro’s book looked absolutely perfect. Had it pressed and everything yet STILL comes back 9.6. Still happy but damn it must be microscopic differences. Will post pics later. My copy I bought in 1992 off the wall is coming back 8.5 which I’m happy also since I read it 50x as a kid. Should arrive today ?

Where these hard to find back in the day ie were people speculating back then too and buying multiple copies ? 

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Where these hard to find back in the day ie were people speculating back then too and buying multiple copies ? 

I was only 8 years old so I don’t know lol. I just remember it was 50 dollars and begged my mom to get it and I was very proud of it. Marvel cards were big among us kids back then too especially marvel masterpieces. Also a wall book uncanny xmen 213. I found out about it in the back of one of those cards so when I saw it on the wall I had to have it. It was 30 dollars and isn’t really worth that now. 

Edited by jason4

On 4/2/2018 at 8:26 AM, jason4 said:

Yea but like most collectors I didn't have 2k laying around for one book.... so i went raw for 400 ...100 for signature and about 100 for grade press was only 600. Called today they said less than 2 weeks I'll post results

What was the grade on the 400 dollar copy you got? NM/M?

31 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

What was the grade on the 400 dollar copy you got? NM/M?

Yea they wouldn’t assign a grade like 9.8 or 9.6, they just said it had no visible defects and “nm or better”. Came back 9.6 so not too disappointed but the price difference between is more than double what a 9.6 is worth and for microscopic difference it’s crazy. Last I checked 9.6 800$ and 9.8 2000$

Edited by jason4

1 hour ago, jason4 said:

Yea they wouldn’t assign a grade like 9.8 or 9.6, they just said it had no visible defects and “nm or better”. Came back 9.6 so not too disappointed but the price difference between is more than double what a 9.6 is worth and for microscopic difference it’s crazy. Last I checked 9.6 800$ and 9.8 2000$

Mostly from what I've seen, the major difference bt a 96 & 98 other than corner or edge defects that are more visible are finite color breaking stress marks on the spine. But thing is that you can only spot these defects with a flash light & only at a certain angle. A magnifying glass would help. Yes it's definitely whacked out!