• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Appreciation/ Club Thread
12 12

1,166 posts in this topic

Finally a member of this club. Was looking for an attractive 9.4 for awhile. This copy is very nice except for the “serrated” right edge (that was discussed earlier in this thread). This defect doesn’t really bother me. In addition, the slab was all scratched up, but I experimented with cleaning it up using plastX, and the results were very good.

59722B66-82DF-4575-8CBD-FABE2AF17E1B.jpeg

Edited by Paul_Maul

5 minutes ago, Insanity said:

Interesting but it is the cover only..... couldn't really be graded as a book, idk kind of weird. Cool though!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

7 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I did not expect to click and see "sold" lol I did expect an extravagant price though ha. Impressive (thumbsu 

I'm thinking this 9.9 set listing had to be sold through a direct offer which is done through ebay messages.  Seems ridiculously high. 

When a book is sold through a direct offer that the seller makes to the buyer (lower than the BIN) via their message correspondence, the completed listing still reflects that the book sold for the BIN price.  eBay sold listings will look like the buyer paid the BIN price and that’s what is reported to GPA.  Just another way GPA gets manipulated...

Edited by DST

On 7/12/2018 at 11:23 AM, Jaydogrules said:

W-O-W. Someone bought them? Just W-O-W.

On 7/12/2018 at 4:19 PM, DST said:

I'm thinking this 9.9 set listing had to be sold through a direct offer which is done through ebay messages.  Seems ridiculously high. 

When a book is sold through a direct offer that the seller makes to the buyer (lower than the BIN) via their message correspondence, the completed listing still reflects that the book sold for the BIN price.  eBay sold listings will look like the buyer paid the BIN price and that’s what is reported to GPA.  Just another way GPA gets manipulated...

GPA can't use that price because all three books was sold as one set.

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

GPA can't use that price because all three books was sold as one set.

I was saying I think the transaction had to go down that way because eBay shows that it sold for the BIN price of $125k (not a best offer) which is a ridiculously high number.

I know that with the listing title and the listing itself being for 3 books that GPA wouldn’t pick it up.  I just meant in general these eBay direct offers through messages are another way that inaccurate sold prices can be reported to GPA, which is why (even though it’s a great resource) it isn’t an exact measure of FMV (thumbsu

1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Press it again and see if you can get a 9.8lol

***Nice books(thumbsu

I'd love to but I don't think it'll get any higher than a 9.6. There are some spine ticks that break a little color. And I'm afraid if I press it any more the staples might come through the cover. xD

I wish I can say thanks to the "Nice Books" comment, but the picture shows the book before the press on the left and the same book after the press on the right.

18 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

This gives me hope.  I've got 2 books currently with them in the process of being pressed.  Praying they come back better and not worse.  :wishluck:

Yeah, as long as your book doesn't have too many color breaking creases, then you should be fine. A buddy of mine sent in his ASM 300 that was a 8.5 to get pressed and it came back a 9.2! that was pretty good jump. But on the downside, I sent in my Macross #1 that was a 9.6, and it came back a 9.4!?!?! I was mad about that. Apparently the press somehow made the paper around the bottom staple tear a little. So that brought down the grade. I should've just left it at a 9.6! :cry:

First bought ASM #300 at a military commissary in Japan back in 1988. I was primarily a DC fan but took a flyer on this issue because I enjoyed McFarlane's runs on Infinity Inc. and the Batman: Year Two storyline. McFarlane didn't disappoint. 

Although I collect mostly Silver & Bronze Age DC these days, I couldn't resist picking this beauty up at a recent Pedigree Comics auction. 

ASM 300.jpg