• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Appreciation/ Club Thread
12 12

1,166 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Drbearsec said:

ASM 300 or TMNT #1 (which wasn't really readily available)... fair points

I was specifically referencing TMNT 1 although not by name. But it's true about Albedo 2 and the Gobbledygooks too...they're desirable and expensive but so rare...ASM 300 has maintained and even grown despite them being all over the place.

23 hours ago, Supraman16 said:

Prelim movie reviews for Venom don't look good.  I wonder how much of a hit ASM 300 will take if these reviews are accurate.

Any dark movie like that usually turns out pretty terrible  

On 10/2/2018 at 5:51 PM, Supraman16 said:

Prelim movie reviews for Venom don't look good.  I wonder how much of a hit ASM 300 will take if these reviews are accurate.

Reviews don't matter.  It's all about Box Office.  Only a $100 Million dollar budget, figure $200 Million is break even.   Problem is Venom really needs a cameo or something from Spidey... if that had been there, it would probably do $300-350 mill domestic and another 2-300 International.

Edited by Drbearsec

When Todd took over as pencilled on ASM 298, it was a revelation, a dramatic change in artistic license of the character, and I was utterly gobsmacked by Todd’s art.  So much, in fact, that I went back to my LCS and purchased 10 more copies.

i struck up a friendly conversation with the store owner and he told me that ASM 300 was going to be double sized, and the story will introduce a new villain, too.  Well, since I was already hooked on Todd’s art, I was totally excited about seeing twice as much of his art, and I didn’t really care too much about the intro of a new villain.LOL! ?

So I told him that I had $100 and was wondering if he could make me a deal on the price, and he did.  I ended up with 80 copies (bags and boards included) in part, I think, because the Store owner may have had second thoughts about the large quantity he ordered.

Well, the comic arrived and I cherry picked my copies and read one as soon as I got home.  And it was awesome of course. 

Fast forward a few years and I had to sell several dozen copies to offset school fees, text books, yadda yadda yadda.  Once I graduated and got a job, I found myself drifting away from comics and moving towards Original Comic Art.  I started slowly at first, dipping my toes into the water with a sketch here and a cheap page there and before I knew it, I was spending like a drunken sailor.  Original comic art was my crack!

Not too long ago, I had realized that I nearly fulfilled my OA collecting goals, with one notable exception... I wanted the cover to ASM 300.  I had engaged in a discussion with its owner approximately a year ago and made an offer,  it it was rejected so when I contacted the owner again, I was more determined (read: willing to spend more than before), but unbeknownst to me, the owner was engaged in discussion with another interested party, one who recently came into a lot of money and is the new owner of the cover.  Yeah, I was sad, and it hurt like a ton of bricks came crashing down upon me, but then I remembered how much I enjoyed the comic back in the day and upon meeting Todd again at the ACE comicon in Arizona, a wave of nostalgia hit me and I started picking up a few copies here and there and I have no intention of slowing down, regardless of whether the movie is good or bad.

I’m just waiting on a few more copies to come back from CGC, and I’ll post a group photo as soon as I can ??

I think reviews do matter to some and a lot of people who were going to see venom in theatres will not now. Less people seeing the movie and less people who do like it (last I checked it has a paltry 33 on rotten tomatoes) means this book will likely take a hit especially because it is common and this is what has happened to other books that rose because of movie hype.

On 10/4/2018 at 10:58 AM, jason4 said:

I think reviews do matter to some and a lot of people who were going to see venom in theatres will not now. Less people seeing the movie and less people who do like it (last I checked it has a paltry 33 on rotten tomatoes) means this book will likely take a hit especially because it is common and this is what has happened to other books that rose because of movie hype.

I see that you liked it:baiting:lol.

I honestly think we're in a time (social media) where "critics" try to say the most shocking thing to get attention (or click bait).  The person who said it was "Catwoman" bad had his comment spread across the web and referenced in almost all the early reviews.  Did he really think it was "Catwoman" bad?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  But maybe not everybody is qualified to be a critic.

I thought it was good. I read lots of reviews and sides with the few that said it was funny and fun to watch. There is no way this movie should be compared to catwoman of the fantastic 4 atrocities. 

I think other than the missing Spider-Man link it stayed true to the comics version of venom.

Definitely better than any fantastic Four movie!

The reviewers went harsh on this one, I say it’s uncalled for and everyone I’ve spoken to said the movie is entertaining and worked well for most parts.

Regardless, any copy in 9.9 would still Be worth a mint due to its rarity, so if you have one, I want it!

And naturally my sons halloween costume is...

Was sold out in every store in my area and online as well. Had to have a relative who lives an hour away pick one up at her location. Venoms popular with kids now as well as adults. Future looks bright for asm 300 

EC223026-23B9-4E97-BF89-3412F9596947.png

9 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

So, it’s been a few weeks since the movie was released to mixed reviews and I’m just wondering if anyone has seen a general trend up or down in prices?

If you go by GPA, looks like sale prices peak from mid-September to early October before starting to go back down following the release of the movie. Hard to say whether the decrease will continue, but consistent sales in the $2000-$2100 are still a decent bump over the same period last year. 

GPA_for_CGC_Comics_-_Daily_CGC_Comic_Book_Prices_and_Analysis.png

16 hours ago, Bird said:

I have been a bit frustrated with gpa on this book lately as the newsstands seem, to me at least, to have a premium but they are not broken out on gpa. :sumo:

I know of a confirmed October sale for CGC 9.6 ASM #300 Newsstand for $1,100.

17 hours ago, mcgillicutty said:

If you go by GPA, looks like sale prices peak from mid-September to early October before starting to go back down following the release of the movie. Hard to say whether the decrease will continue, but consistent sales in the $2000-$2100 are still a decent bump over the same period last year. 

GPA_for_CGC_Comics_-_Daily_CGC_Comic_Book_Prices_and_Analysis.png

Thanks for this info.  It would appear as though a trend has been forming.  ?