• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Appreciation/ Club Thread
12 12

1,166 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Hi, ASM 300 aficionados!

While I continue to wait for some additional copies to be returned from CGC, I decided to take some group pics from part of my collection.

here are some details:

1. all are sig series, except for 1 copy that I picked up recently with Todd and Stan’s sigs directly on the CGC case
  2. most are signed by 4 creators who worked on ASM 300 - McFarlane, Salicrup (editor), Sharen (colorist & tough sig to get... he also coloured McHulk 340), Parker (lettered & Beavis & Butthead artist)
  3. a handful of issues also have Stan’s sig
  4. 3 copies in 9.8
  5. 19 copies in 9.6
  6. 7 copies in 9.4
  7. 4 copies in 9.2
  8. 1 copy in 8.5

sooooo, that’s a lot of copies, but I’m always looking for more as I continue my personal quest of obtaining 80 copies (that’s the number of copies I purchased when the comic was published).

hope you enjoy seeing them as much as I do.

image.thumb.jpeg.fca451bed1209d46fbff1d9967acf63e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.178455db62004272b242aa76d0841e67.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.23ee7926f3f70abc48d85e3194754cb1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6683f6e6a57b7abaf960cff17878d2a3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.27679e4e6b8b6eb5de8d03f0bbc8c228.jpeg

:baiting:What no Newsstands? You call that a collection!?... :baiting: I’m kidding of course!!! (worship)

5 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

:baiting:What no Newsstands? You call that a collection!?... :baiting: I’m kidding of course!!! (worship)

😂😂😂

I’m not one of those guys to pursue newsstand vs direct, but your comment made me take a second look at the collection.

Seems like one of the 9.6’s is a newsstand, while everything else is direct.

4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

😂😂😂

I’m not one of those guys to pursue newsstand vs direct, but your comment made me take a second look at the collection.

Seems like one of the 9.6’s is a newsstand, while everything else is direct.

It's interesting that you didn't specifically collect newsstands, and your collection matches what we'd expect to find pretty well:

asm300analysis_slabdata.png

18 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It's interesting that you didn't specifically collect newsstands, and your collection matches what we'd expect to find pretty well:

I suppose it’s because of the significant number of comic shops that existed locally back in 1988, before the boom/bust of sports card stores that sold comics, too.

the options for acquiring Direct copies was nearly limitless, and convenient, and bags and boards were included for free on new releases.

additionally, if you’re concerned about condition (I was), then a spinner rack or newsstand was not the place to go.

9 hours ago, valiantman said:

9.6 for example:

Direct vs Newsstand 

a couple of recent sales for comparison. Seems there isn’t that much of a gap?

8C852880-1896-4DCF-8168-EC89D6CF4FCF.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Crushingame said:

9.6 for example:

Direct vs Newsstand 

a couple of recent sales for comparison. Seems there isn’t that much of a gap?

8C852880-1896-4DCF-8168-EC89D6CF4FCF.jpeg

I agree - there isn't much difference.  The question is whether there will be when people realize the difference.  There's no indication in the CGC Census, so I think very few people are aware of the ratios at this point.

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I agree - there isn't much difference.  The question is whether there will be when people realize the difference.  There's no indication in the CGC Census, so I think very few people are aware of the ratios at this point.

What's your stance on the inverse - direct copies in a time when newsstands were the norm? I'm obviously talking about books before this one hit, say early 80s? Take Thor 337 as an example - key book, first appearance, and direct copies seem to be far more scarce than newsstand. Do you think there's a market advantage for people holding direct copies of that book or others like it from a time when newsstands made up a majority of the copies? Or do you see it as a "relative scarcity" of high grade books that were either mangled on spinner racks or destroyed if unsold?

Edited by Jesse-Lee

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

There are a trillion copies of this book:

I feel if people haven’t noticed the difference by now after 32 years of this book’s existence then it probably won’t really matter that much in the next 30+years.  I don’t know, Direct, Newsstand...I think people just love the comic itself. When you start to get caught up in ratios and specific numbers it’s just not as fun in my opinion. 

I think the Direct looks cooler because of the Spidey pic rather than a bar code lol. 

Edited by Crushingame

27 minutes ago, Crushingame said:

I think the Direct looks cooler because of the Spidey pic rather than a bar code lol. 

That's funny, I posted this in another thread:

My preference on copper books is toward the newsstands, because the closest "comic specialty shop" for me in the 80s was an hour and a half away (and I was still a few years away from being able to drive), so my only option was to buy off the rack at the local drug store and grocery store. So I like buying comics now that represent what I mostly would have had the chance to buy back then.

I think for now it boils down a lot to either personal preference or probably most likely opportunity - best copy for the price. Maybe at some point we'll see a difference in actual cost/value but I don't know if we're there yet.

11 hours ago, Crushingame said:

I feel if people haven’t noticed the difference by now after 32 years of this book’s existence then it probably won’t really matter that much in the next 30+years.  I don’t know, Direct, Newsstand...I think people just love the comic itself. When you start to get caught up in ratios and specific numbers it’s just not as fun in my opinion.

You're not as OCD as... umm.... most of us. :foryou:

13 hours ago, Jesse-Lee said:

What's your stance on the inverse - direct copies in a time when newsstands were the norm? I'm obviously talking about books before this one hit, say early 80s? Take Thor 337 as an example - key book, first appearance, and direct copies seem to be far more scarce than newsstand. Do you think there's a market advantage for people holding direct copies of that book or others like it from a time when newsstands made up a majority of the copies? Or do you see it as a "relative scarcity" of high grade books that were either mangled on spinner racks or destroyed if unsold?

So, what I believe happened is specific to certain books.

Both direct editions and newsstands were printed at the same time - but - they were distributed differently.  Generally speaking, the newsstand books arrived in non-comic shops a couple weeks after the direct edition books arrived in comic shops.

Whenever a direct edition book was immediately popular, especially if it sold out in the first week or two, those direct edition collectors (and even retailers) found those extras on the newsstands and added them to their (mostly) direct edition collections.  Very few of the immediately popular direct editions would have had a lot of returns -and- they would have been well-protected in bags and boards in the hands of (more serious) collectors.

Thor #337, Amazing Spider-Man #252, and Amazing Spider-Man #361 are good examples of newsstand books that seem to be very common, even in high grade, because direct edition collectors got them, protected them, and kept them.

The same is not true of Amazing Spider-Man #300.  When direct edition shops ordered enough copies, the newsstand editions generally went to non-collectors (or at least, collectors who didn't bag and board everything).  The survival of high grade ASM #300 newsstand is significantly lower than high grade ASM #300 direct editions.  How much lower?  That's what we're watching.

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

poor ol’ me...

Actually, i am diagnosed with OCD/ADHD (combined type...go figure), 

AND

Bi-Poloar 1 disorder, depression, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder  and high blood pressure.  Lmao 

Comics seem to help with some of this stuff. I think I’ll stay around lol

Edited by Crushingame

1 hour ago, Crushingame said:
5 hours ago, valiantman said:

poor ol’ me...

AND

Bi-Poloar 1 disorder, depression, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder  and high blood pressure.  Lmao 

Were you going somewhere? (shrug)

Here's your quote:  "I feel if people haven’t noticed the difference by now after 32 years of this book’s existence then it probably won’t really matter that much in the next 30+years."

What I find ironic about it is that 32 years after Action Comics #1's existence, we got the first edition of Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide.

I wonder if people would agree that Overstreet made no difference to comic book collecting since it was 32 years before anyone cared? hm

3 hours ago, Crushingame said:

poor ol’ me...

AND

A pitcher of Margaritas should cure all of the above 🍹🍹🍹

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Here's your quote:  "I feel if people haven’t noticed the difference by now after 32 years of this book’s existence then it probably won’t really matter that much in the next 30+years."

What I find ironic about it is that 32 years after Action Comics #1's existence, we got the first edition of Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide.

I wonder if people would agree that Overstreet made no difference to comic book collecting since it was 32 years before anyone cared? hm

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison :baiting:

2 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison :baiting:

32 years later, things can still change - especially based on information becoming available to a large group of people.  Overstreet info.  Newsstand info.  Apples.

56 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Due to my recent separation from the my wife, I’ve had to make arrangements to move into my parents house for the time being, so technically I’m not going anywhere for awhile lol Jokes aside. 

Not sure if any of this will make sense. My opinions will most likely be countered, debated, etc. that’s fine. I won’t really have much else to say about this. 

Just gonna reference  CGC 9.6 WP  (that’s what I have) 

Wasn’t necessarily meaning the books existence. I was talking about the comparison between Direct/Newsstand.  Based on recent sales on freebay,/130.com, the   price difference between the two are similar in value (CGC 9.6 WP). You would think that with the Newsstand version having less copies there would be a bigger price difference between the two. All I’m saying is that for all these years if the price difference between the two are practically the same in 9.6 WP in today’s current market; when will we see a more significant increased price gap between them? 30+ years and counting..

I mean,  when will people realize the difficulty in finding a Newsstand in higher grade (9.6 WP)  and higher obviously “should”  be a lot more than a high grade Direct (9.6WP) if it hasn’t happened already? What are we waiting for, an actual print run of each version to justify why a 9.6 Newsstand “should” be a lot more $$ than the 9.6 Direct? Will that open some eyes and wallets? 

I’m new here and I’m not the best person to debate with  because  I suck at it 

Not a big follower on the numbers, ratios, print runs, etc... I just love the damn book and i try to research and read about it and other comic related topics when I can. I do enjoy having good conversations, voicing my opinions and learning from you guys.

By the way, Overstreet is still being used to this day? I remember my best friend used to use it religiously long ago. That “was” the only source for pricing obviously, but anyway. I’m not even sure what I’m saying makes sense lol