• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Appreciation/ Club Thread
12 12

1,166 posts in this topic

lol Joe Namath, Reggie Jackson, Clyde Frazier, and Mo Rivera might beg to differ with you. I'll give Jeter his credit where its due hell of a career and no brainer HOFer.

But I must tell you as a lifelong Redsox fan when Nomar was healthy Jeter could not hold his jock strap.

Really? Not to get off topic here, but it was obvious. Pretty sure Nomar was linked to the ol' Roid Family.

U can pull up several links and sites, but here's a cool read for ya...

http://heartbeatofthebronx.mlblogs.com/2009/02/10/one-down-103-to-go-the-boston-steroid-story-left-untold/

I don't think Jeters name has EVER been mentioned which is why (other than stats) he gets the praise he gets...and yes, I'm a Yankee fan.

The most over-hyped, over paid, ridiculously and undeservingly deified, baseball player of all time. Like in comics, the Walking De.... I'd better stop. I see pitchforks.

Regardless, he's still the most popular, most successful, and dare I say, most important NY sports figure of the last 50 years.

With that said, I understand your point and agree to some extent. And, that's coming from a lifelong Yankees fan. Dave Winfield was my hero and I endured hours of Mantle highlights as my dad reminisced on his childhood.

Mantle was playing 50 years ago. Even Mattingly was a far better player. There's no doubt Jeter is a HoF player, I'll give him that. It's just that his game, while consistent, doesn't warrant the praise he gets. I can name 10 yanks that had more talent, just not as long a career for a variety of reasons. Players I'd pick before god Jeter.

Mattingly (pre-injury)

Mantle- I won't even waste words

Rivera

Munson (pre death)

Reggie

Ruth

Gehrig

Winfield

DiMaggio

Lefty

You're right. I got the years mixed up. Last 20-30 years would be fair. Also, I agree he isn't and wasn't the most talented of the players on the list. I was merely pointing out his importance in the NY sports world. Sure, Seaver, Mattingly, Reggie and Ewing all had their moments, but nothing like Jeter's career in NY. "Yeah, Jeets" bonus points if you get that reference.

Now, back to the regular scheduled ASM 300 thread.

The most over-hyped, over paid, ridiculously and undeservingly deified, baseball player of all time. Like in comics, the Walking De.... I'd better stop. I see pitchforks.

Regardless, he's still the most popular, most successful, and dare I say, most important NY sports figure of the last 50 years.

With that said, I understand your point and agree to some extent. And, that's coming from a lifelong Yankees fan. Dave Winfield was my hero and I endured hours of Mantle highlights as my dad reminisced on his childhood.

Mantle was playing 50 years ago. Even Mattingly was a far better player. There's no doubt Jeter is a HoF player, I'll give him that. It's just that his game, while consistent, doesn't warrant the praise he gets. I can name 10 yanks that had more talent, just not as long a career for a variety of reasons. Players I'd pick before god Jeter.

Mattingly (pre-injury)

Mantle- I won't even waste words

Rivera

Munson (pre death)

Reggie

Ruth

Gehrig

Winfield

DiMaggio

Lefty

You're right. I got the years mixed up. Last 20-30 years would be fair. Also, I agree he isn't and wasn't the most talented of the players on the list. I was merely pointing out his importance in the NY sports world. Sure, Seaver, Mattingly, Reggie and Ewing all had their moments, but nothing like Jeter's career in NY. "Yeah, Jeets" bonus points if you get that reference.

Now, back to the regular scheduled ASM 300 thread.

+1 Good Sir...Jeter's importance to the franchise is as important as ASM 300 is to its run.

Popularity

Sales

History

Importance

Etc...

Guys no talking about the Yankees in a Spider-man thread, he is a Mets fan after all. ;)

Used to me a Yankees fan.... im actually more of a hometown fan... Miami Marlins !!! yes i know they suck. lol

New to this forum and started buying graded stuff just out of sheer frustration from garbage sellers on ebay.

Anyway, I was getting back into comics and trying to put together a mcfarlane run, but with my luck, this stupid venom movie gets announced. Any chance these early venom issues will come back down to "normal" prices or am I just screwed now?

Please update the list. Mine shipped from CGC:

9.6 WHITE PAGES!

:applause:

Thanks. It's especially satisfying since I bought it raw at my LCS for $200. They had it graded as a 9.2 sitting on the rack, and it had already been pressed by their pressing guru. Sent it on a trip to Joeypost and CGC and it came back 9.6WP.

New to this forum and started buying graded stuff just out of sheer frustration from garbage sellers on ebay.

Anyway, I was getting back into comics and trying to put together a mcfarlane run, but with my luck, this stupid venom movie gets announced. Any chance these early venom issues will come back down to "normal" prices or am I just screwed now?

Not anytime soon. And if the movie is good, forget it. If you really want a nice copy, buy now, or in 5 years.

My question is, who pays to grade and slab a 4.5 and who the hell sent in a 2.0 to be graded? Strange times.

Either people who had books with hidden interior defects they were unaware of, or people who can't grade and therefore thought that their 4.5 was a 9.0. Or, sometimes people slab their OO copies for sentimental reasons that have nothing to do with value.

My question is, who pays to grade and slab a 4.5 and who the hell sent in a 2.0 to be graded? Strange times.

Either people who had books with hidden interior defects they were unaware of, or people who can't grade and therefore thought that their 4.5 was a 9.0. Or, sometimes people slab their OO copies for sentimental reasons that have nothing to do with value.

True. I slabbed a 5.5 American Air Forces #1 because of sentimental reasons.

The same ones who think a 4.5 is Near Mint on ebay >_<

Not anytime soon. And if the movie is good, forget it. If you really want a nice copy, buy now, or in 5 years.

I was afraid of that. I hate speculators argh

Edited by Godparticle

I received my ASM # 300 graded 9.6 last wednesday.. im glad to have gotten it now. the prices are for sure to increase as days go by.

If 9.8 grades are selling in the $1000 dollar range im sure eventually the 9.6 grades will eventually hit it sooner or later as well.