• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Appreciation/ Club Thread
12 12

1,166 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, SonOfWolF said:

I've seen many 9.8 asm 300's with multiple color breaking spine ticks. I think cgc is light on it. What appears to be color rub on the outside edge is the real issue with that copy imo.

Not with the ones on that copy IMO

(thumbsu From Bleeding cool

During a recent interview, Amy Pascal, the former Chairperson of Sony and producer on Spider-Man: Homecoming said that the planned Venom and Black Cat movies will exist in the same universe as Tom Holland’s Spider-Man that was introduced in Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War. She went on to say that Spider-Man could even make appearances in the films. She praises Kevin Feige for making the MCU films seem like chapters in an overall book and admits it’s something that Sony wants to emulate…

And all of this seems to be news to Feige who is sitting right next to her. He doesn’t say anything, but the look on his face is somewhere between “deer in the headlights” and “What you talking about, Willis?”. I wonder if Feige is home today re-reading the Marvel / Sony agreement.

2 hours ago, Sly Shadow said:

I don't know how active this thread is, but I just happened to stumble upon it.
I got this baby as a 9.6 early spring of 2016. I sent it out last September to NY Comics to get signed by Stan Lee and Todd Mcfarlane, then pressed and resubmitted for grading. I was beyond ecstatic when I opened the box this past March (when I received it back).

ASM300.PNG.b22aed68e7d50c97b97075aa8982f33f.PNG

:whatthe: 

Very nice.  

-J.

18 hours ago, Sly Shadow said:

I don't know how active this thread is...

It's active.  A lot more active recently:bigsmile:

Congrats on the up-grade.  Great placement on the McFarlane signature.  Stan Lee will be Stan Lee...always knows where to put his signature to mess up a good coverlol

11 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

It's active.  A lot more active recently:bigsmile:

Congrats on the up-grade.  Great placement on the McFarlane signature.  Stan Lee will be Stan Lee...always knows where to put his signature to mess up a good coverlol

Thanks man! I was really doubtful when I sent it out that it would come back as a 9.2 or 9.4. Idk why I thought that, but I just figured my luck.

This is my first Stan Lee sig, and probably last. I would really like to get a nice high grade Silver Surfer #4 signed by him though.

But anyways, I actually send a printout like this along with my book to show where I wanted it signed. They actually came pretty close to it and I think they are nice and visible.

asmmmmm.png.a1132be18669e02ecc1139ffb25e8abb.png

11 hours ago, clarkkentdds said:

Predictions as to the going price of ASM 300 9.8 w ...

In one year: $1750

In two years:$1350

Three years: $1200

I think we are seeing "irrational exuberance"

FWIW...

hm So in three years, after at least one Venom-verse movie, and who knows how much more growth in popularity, not to mention the book turning 30 years old by then, the book will be selling for what it was selling for up to 11 years in the past ?

Gotcha.  Better hold off on picking up a copy till then.  FWIW (thumbsu

-J.

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Does anyone have an opinion on the ASM 300 mini-promo comic? I notice not a lot for sale, yet raws have sold more frequently......

It was included free in a DVD set.  So, it's not the kind of thing people would slab very often... since it would cost $25+ to submit something that was free.  My opinion is that it's a fun item to add to a collection of "all things ASM #300" (including foreign editions, the chromium reprint, homage covers, etc.), but there was only one ASM #300 that mattered for at least 10 years... the real one.

I don't agree with the idea that Spidey #300 was a speculated on issue from the get-go.

Here's why:

1. McFarlane's art wasn't OMGWTFBBQMCFARLANE!!!!! until Hulk #340. Prior to that, he had been inked by others, notably Sanders III, and his linework was buried. Hulk #340 is really the first issue where the Todd art we all know and love was really showcased. Yes, Tec #578 several months earlier, but no one was reading Tec at the time. Readers only had about 3 months to notice before ASM #300 came out.

2. McLeod buried Todd's linework in #298 and #299. Just buried it. It was awful.

3. ASM #300 was the first issue of ASM Todd inked himself.

4. Venom? Who's Venom...? Venom didn't become ultra-popular until Carnage came out. Then, it became all about Venom, peaking with Letrhal Protector #1 in 1993. This was long, long, LONGGG before villains became popular in their own right. When #300 came out in Feb of 1988, I don't think a single Silver Age villain outside of Doctor Doom and Green Goblin was broken out in the OPG. 

5. Many, many national retailers advertised copies of #300 for $1.50-$4 or so for several months after it came out. Likewise, the OPG updates had it move up moderately throughout 1988 and 1989. It took two+ years (June of 1990, and McSpidery #1) for those issues to go bonkers...#300 was $7.50 in the big guide that came out in April, and $30 by the June Update (I want to say #12...? #13?) Even still, it was about Todd, not Venom.

6. While the issue would have been ordered more heavily because it was an anniversary issue, again, this was before the era when such things caused substantial notice. 

So...I don't believe the reports that people "bought cases of this issue", especially...ESPECIALLY...since Spidey had been in doldrums for years and years and years prior to this, with the only bright spot after ASM #121-122 being...you guessed it!...#252! But that was all about the new costume, and, of course, #300 did away with that costume for a very, very, very long time (at least on Peter.)

It just wouldn't have made any sense. The hot books of the time frame we're talking about were ASM #129, which was setting the comics world on fire, and Supes' 50th anniversary, and the Punisher Ltd Series, and Longshot, and anything else Art Adams touched, and Hulk #181. 

#300...? That book had to wait until 1993 to really break away from the pack. 

It just doesn't make much sense to have speculated on it, any more than it would have made sense to speculate on, say, Fantastic Four #319, or Cap #344, or Hulk #345, or Iron Man #225, or any of the other double sized issues of that timeframe. 

This book was hot from the start. I was 12 when it came out. I brought two copies to school to try to recreate he cover in art class. Both were stolen by the end of the day.......:cry:

It was also speculated on due to the first full appearance of Venom. I can remember seeing people buying long boxes of them at my file LCS. Fast forward to 1999 or 2000, a small time flea market dealer came up with a long of ASM 300, two longs of McSpidey 1s, and a short box of ASM 252s plus tons of other McSpideys. I grabbed a stack of the best copies of each. Should have held them for longer. All were from the same collector who was liquidating - guess the early retirement from comics did not pay off. lol

12 hours ago, october said:

Considering selling this one, but hard to know how to value it. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery? 

9.8/9.8 white double cover newsstand variant. All the bells and whistles. 

(Picture here)

No reserve, let it ride.  The problem with double covers (in general) is that whenever they pop up for sale they are ridiculously priced.

***Nice book

15 hours ago, kimik said:

This book was hot from the start. I was 12 when it came out. I brought two copies to school to try to recreate he cover in art class. Both were stolen by the end of the day.......:cry:

It was also speculated on due to the first full appearance of Venom. I can remember seeing people buying long boxes of them at my file LCS. Fast forward to 1999 or 2000, a small time flea market dealer came up with a long of ASM 300, two longs of McSpidey 1s, and a short box of ASM 252s plus tons of other McSpideys. I grabbed a stack of the best copies of each. Should have held them for longer. All were from the same collector who was liquidating - guess the early retirement from comics did not pay off. lol

You were 12 when it came out.

That really ought to be the end of that. ;)

And no, you are quite incorrect when you say it was "speculated on." When Spidey #300 came out, "nobody" cared about Venom. Venom didn't appear again...anywhere...for another year (#315-317), and then didn't appear AGAIN for another year after that (#330-333.)

I think it's safe to say that a statistically negligible amount of people speculated on the book because of Venom. They didn't even speculate on it because of the art.

how do I know this...?

Look at the literature of the day. You see no mention of Venom, anywhere, in the trade publications (Overstreet, CPG, CBG) for nearly four years after he first appears. #299 just looks like "muscly Spidey." He doesn't appear anywhere else but ASM for a very long time. The character wasn't a big hit with the general public for quite some time.

Long boxes...? Of a random anniversary issue of ASM, by a relatively unknown artist, in a title which had been in the doldrums for years prior...?

No. 

Juvenile "memories". :cloud9:

I wonder if the guy who was buying hundreds of slabbed ASM 300s on ebay like 13-14 years ago waited until now to slowly sell them?  My recollection is that he would also try to get $10-$15 back on each purchase by claiming the case was cracked.

28 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You were 12 when it came out.

That really ought to be the end of that. ;)

And no, you are quite incorrect when you say it was "speculated on." When Spidey #300 came out, "nobody" cared about Venom. Venom didn't appear again...anywhere...for another year (#315-317), and then didn't appear AGAIN for another year after that (#330-333.)

I think it's safe to say that a statistically negligible amount of people speculated on the book because of Venom. They didn't even speculate on it because of the art.

how do I know this...?

Look at the literature of the day. You see no mention of Venom, anywhere, in the trade publications (Overstreet, CPG, CBG) for nearly four years after he first appears. #299 just looks like "muscly Spidey." He doesn't appear anywhere else but ASM for a very long time. The character wasn't a big hit with the general public for quite some time.

Long boxes...? Of a random anniversary issue of ASM, by a relatively unknown artist, in a title which had been in the doldrums for years prior...?

No. 

Juvenile "memories". :cloud9:

I'm pretty sure people cared about Venom because he was the final form of the alien symbiote suit that had been a plot or sub-plot for years just as the black vs. red/blue suit debate was ongoing.   Anniversary issues also were a very big deal, major storylines always climaxed in anniversary issues and they were important.  Not just because there was continuity at the time but in those days the publisher payday was in double sized anniversary issues because they didn't have today's reboots, line wide cross-overs & number one issues with variants.  I bought multiples of anniversary issues as far back as Marvel Tales 100, FF 200, ASM 200 etc...I don't know where I fall in the collector/hoarder spectrum but I still have those multiples and I haven't sold a comic yet. :whistle: 

Also in general, putting too much faith in the "literature of the day" is something you need to put to a test by pointing to current sources of information that you trust, today you can choose from cbr, bleeding cool, recalledcomics, comichron, comicbookinvest etc..etc..?  Which one will someone be quoting & pointing to years in the future as the "literature of the day" for today?  How about the 90's where Wizard dominated the "day" - were they always correct in identifying trends or did they create the trends?  I know you take the time to source from various places but the literature of the day doesn't always tell the whole story, sure the hardcore fans and dealers read the stuff you're talking about but most fans dabbled in that stuff and back then things like letters pages, editorial boxes & bullpen bulletins were important and had just as much influence over buying habits as those fanzines did when it came to the kids who were buying comics in the late 80's.

18 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I don't agree with the idea that Spidey #300 was a speculated on issue from the get-go.

RMA - I tried to PM you the Capital City order number for ASM #300 (since it's missing from SCCB), but the board says I can't.

So I didn't. lol

19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

RMA - I tried to PM you the Capital City order number for ASM #300 (since it's missing from SCCB), but the board says I can't.

So I didn't. lol

My impression as an 18 year old who was doing 6-8 shows a year is that the book was heavily ordered (because it was an anniversary issue, not because of Todd or Venom) and was very easy to get for months.  I will never forget the sight of big stacks of ASM 300 on multiple dealers' tables.  Purely from memory, 300 dried up before 298 did, because I was able to scrape up a couple of copies of 298 from back issue bins after Todd caught fire.  The real honey pot was Hulk 330. I must have scrounged 15 of those for cover within a day or two of CVM hitting all of his books with up arrows. Lest you guys think I was a savant, I also bought tons of copies of All-Star Squadron 47, and Infinity Inc. 14