• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Appreciation/ Club Thread
12 12

1,166 posts in this topic

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 11:29 AM, CKinTO said:

I'm finally in the club! Bought for a reasonable price from a boardie - obviously a bit late to the game now that the book has had its price jump for many months, but happy to be in! 9.8 was definitely too rich for my blood at current prices, even though they've come down a bit from the $2500 peak. 

This is likely for the PC, so I'm fine with a 9.6, and as a child of the 80's, loved the Venom Lethal Protector and Funeral Pyre books! 

IMG_8088.JPG

Nice book. Congrats on the awesome pickup. Venom rules.

3 hours ago, Rezin1234 said:

It ain't the prettiest but I'm in lolIMG_6365.thumb.JPG.cad96d4ece9b8eb0fab3d0fc303c04be.JPG

Maybe it's the photo, but that looks like a really well-presenting 7.5! Corners look sharp, and spine looks pretty clean? Do you have the grading notes? What did you get dinged on?

So just saw this sale that has opened my eyes to how much this book has risen in value recently. Makes me feel a little more proud of my childhood beater copy. 

I really feel this book is going to continue to steadily move upwards in value for quite a while. 

Edited by Cyclops

On 6/24/2017 at 8:37 AM, Jaydogrules said:
On 6/23/2017 at 9:29 PM, clarkkentdds said:

Predictions as to the going price of ASM 300 9.8 w ...

In one year: $1750

In two years:$1350

Three years: $1200

I think we are seeing "irrational exuberance"

FWIW...

hm So in three years, after at least one Venom-verse movie, and who knows how much more growth in popularity, not to mention the book turning 30 years old by then, the book will be selling for what it was selling for up to 11 years in the past ?

Gotcha.  Better hold off on picking up a copy till then.  FWIW (thumbsu

Not sure why you think it's not possible for this book to be moving down in price over the long haul.

Especially in light of the fact that the current high prices has much to do with movie related hype and we all know from history what tends to happen to these books by the time it's all said and done.  On top of that, there is an absolute ton of this book out there in uber HG with something approaching 4,000 copies in CGC 9.6 and above if you include the signed copies.  Probably at least an equivalent number of uber HG raw copies still sitting out there in personal collections that has yet to be slabbed.  hm

Just took a look at the Heritage archives and it's rather interesting to note that Daredevil 168 used to also be a $2K book about 10+ years ago with even one selling for almost $2.4K back in 2005.  Since that peak period back around 2005 to 2007, it looks like the book had dropped by half after that and now CGC 9.8 graded copies have been selling in the $500 to $700 range for the past several years.  And similar to Spidey 300, this is for another hot CA book with movie related hype in terms of the Netflix Daredevil TV series.  So, it is indeed quite possible for a hot book to be selling for less than what it sold for 10+ years ago.  Especially if it happened with a red hot book like DD 168 which has far fewer copies relative to Spidey 300, with just over 500 uber HG universal copies in CGC 9.6 or higher (with no 9.9's at all) and a book which will soon be approaching 40 years old.  hm  hm

Only time will tell I guess to see if Spidey 300 will be one of the only movie or TV related hype books to buck the historical "fly like a bird and then crash like a rock" trend that these books traditionally seems to take.  :wishluck:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:11 PM, DST said:

Proud to display these two newsies side by side :bigsmile:

(The SS is signed by personnel relevant to the issue:  Stan Lee - Character Creator; Todd McFarlane - Cover & Art; David Michelinie - Story; Rick Parker - Letterer; Jim Salicrup - Editor)

ASM300NS.jpg

Gorgeous copies.  Wow.  Just.  Wow! :headbang:

-J.

34 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

This was the number 1 book at a show last weekend I counted 15 copies for sale among dealers.  Several 9.8s buy a ton 9.6s as well as another dozen or so raw. I was stunned to see so many.

Sounds as though it's the Number 1 book in terms of people trying to cash out on it, as opposed to collectors trying to pick one up for their collections. hm

I have noticed that not a lot of people post into this thread with a new book...

I still think it's a great book though... With a lot of potential...

But I assume the price will come back down after the movie, also that it will go back up eventually naturally as any key would...

This page alone

maybe 1 per month....

but not a lot lol 

I would assume it's found its way into most collections as a keeper, I wonder who is paying these prices now? I get buying a 9.8, but I guess I'm towards the minority that can be satisfied with lower grades. Lowest I'd go on this book is my lowly 8.0, but still want to upgrade, I can hope :wishluck:that prices come down a bit :) 

32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Sounds as though it's the Number 1 book in terms of people trying to cash out on it, as opposed to collectors trying to pick one up for their collections. hm

Lots of people making money on it and plenty of buyers for every copy.  

Sounds like the definition of an extremely hot, in demand book to me.   (thumbsu

-J.

On 10/30/2017 at 4:21 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This page alone

maybe 1 per month....

but not a lot lol 

I would assume it's found its way into most collections as a keeper, I wonder who is paying these prices now? I get buying a 9.8, but I guess I'm towards the minority that can be satisfied with lower grades. Lowest I'd go on this book is my lowly 8.0, but still want to upgrade, I can hope :wishluck:that prices come down a bit :) 

Im also in the market for ASM 300. How rare would a 9.8 white newsstand edition be? Trying to decide if it's worth going well above market range for one? Going back & fourth on going for an unsigned version. I wish there was a way to track sales of graded newsstand issues.

10 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Im also in the market for ASM 300. How rare would a 9.8 white newsstand edition be? Trying to decide if it's worth going well above market range for one? Going back & fourth on going for an unsigned version. I wish there was a way to track sales of graded newsstand issues.

There is no telling how "rare", just have to watch sales manually, and I haven't been watching that close :( or at least not in that grade; as for signed or not that is another personal choice. If your willing to spend the money, it really matters what your gut says or what will make you happy in the end! 

It's particularly hard not to factor in resell value in with a high $$ purchase, so I feel your pain!

On 10/30/2017 at 4:21 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This page alone

maybe 1 per month....

but not a lot lol 

I feel kind of odd actually being the one who started this thread, since I sold my copy a few months back. It was only a 7.0, but it felt weird letting it go. I was able to make a profit though from when I bought it on Ebay years ago so not all bad.

Edited by DeadpoolJr.

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

There is no telling how "rare", just have to watch sales manually, and I haven't been watching that close :( or at least not in that grade; as for signed or not that is another personal choice. If your willing to spend the money, it really matters what your gut says or what will make you happy in the end! 

It's particularly hard not to factor in resell value in with a high $$ purchase, so I feel your pain!

I'm trying to decide on an unsigned newsstand edition. Trying to gauge how rare they are in that high of a grade. A signed one would be way above my range right now