• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Appreciation/ Club Thread
12 12

1,166 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Superman Bradman, Bloodshot #0 Platinum, Maxx Black Ashcans, but if you're asking about a regular issue... I can't think of any $1,000 raw regular books.

hm I can't say I've ever seen any of those sell for $1000 raw, and certainly no time recently (especially the Superman Bradman which took a big hit when Blastoff Comics suddenly had a case of them to sell off many years ago).  The Bloodshot I think would be considered a "modern" (1993).

But even still, the fact that a private commission, an ashcan, and an indy error book would even be a part of the conversation when talking highest values for a CA book relative to something that was as heavily printed as ASM 300 is remarkable.

-J.

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

hm I can't say I've ever seen any of those sell for $1000 raw, and certainly no time recently (especially the Superman Bradman which took a big hit when Blastoff Comics suddenly had a case of them to sell off many years ago).  The Bloodshot I think would be considered a "modern" (1993).

But even still, the fact that a private commission, an ashcan, and an indy error book would even be a part of the conversation when talking highest values for a CA book relative to something that was as heavily printed as ASM 300 is remarkable.

-J.

The Bloodshot #0 Platinum (indy error book) is the only one I can document... http://www.ebay.com/itm/322271402557  The buyer subsequently had the book graded and received a CGC 9.6.

The others mentioned are undocumented in my memory. :grin:

I believe that Amazing Spider-man #300 is just about the perfect single comic book to follow in terms of sales, variation (UPC vs. Spidey-head), submissions, and even other grading companies.  The number of copies printed combined with the instant iconic status of the book combined with the age (it turns 30 next year) makes it a single book which represents many things about the comic market as a whole.  Even other books in the market make more sense when viewed "relative to ASM #300" in numbers, sales, etc.

Love this book. :cloud9:

31 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The Bloodshot #0 Platinum (indy error book) is the only one I can document... http://www.ebay.com/itm/322271402557  The buyer subsequently had the book graded and received a CGC 9.6.

The others mentioned are undocumented in my memory. :grin:

I believe that Amazing Spider-man #300 is just about the perfect single comic book to follow in terms of sales, variation (UPC vs. Spidey-head), submissions, and even other grading companies.  The number of copies printed combined with the instant iconic status of the book combined with the age (it turns 30 next year) makes it a single book which represents many things about the comic market as a whole.  Even other books in the market make more sense when viewed "relative to ASM #300" in numbers, sales, etc.

Love this book. :cloud9:

Thanks for the Bloodshot sale link.  Wow.  Was that higher than the slabbed 9.8 sale that happened on Comic Link a couple months ago?

Agreed about ASM 300, it really is the perfect book isn't it?  It's an anniversary issue.  It's a "hundreds" issue.  It's got the first (full) appearance of a major, major character.  It's got his origin.  It's the last appearance of the black costume.  It's got a classic cover.  It's got art (cover and interiors) by one of the best artists of his day (or even all time).  It's a part of a long running title of a major character.  It's Spider-man . :cloud9:

-J.

On 5/9/2017 at 11:02 AM, Insanity said:

did you guys see the twitter post Mcfarlane rediscovered ASM 300 Sketch he did back in the day

That's awesome - he tried to convince Marvel that the newsstand cover could be different, but they refused in 1988.  Spider-man #1 in 1990 was definitely a change of heart, then. lol

24 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Thanks for the Bloodshot sale link.  Wow.  Was that higher than the slabbed 9.8 sale that happened on Comic Link a couple months ago?

Yes, the past two CGC 9.8 sales have been right around $3,000... so $3,000 for an ungraded copy was higher, especially since the ungraded copy was CGC 9.6 later.

The most recent sale was a CGC 9.4 that sold for $1,700 last month.

6 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Interesting... there was a legit offer for $2,500 that expired, then the $2,400 was accepted.

I am sending my copy to be graded now along with several other copper age books. I'm hoping for a 9.6 but I may be being optimistic. I can see ASM 300 taking off like Hulk 181 especially with the movie announcement. 

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Interesting... there was a legit offer for $2,500 that expired, then the $2,400 was accepted.

That's still another great result.  We now have *multiple* results in the $2250-$2500 range.  

And that's before we even see a trailer of the movie.  :whatthe:

-J

On 2017-05-25 at 6:44 PM, valiantman said:

Yes, the past two CGC 9.8 sales have been right around $3,000... so $3,000 for an ungraded copy was higher, especially since the ungraded copy was CGC 9.6 later.

The most recent sale was a CGC 9.4 that sold for $1,700 last month.

A 9.4 sold for that much ? Really 

I agree, prices will likely settle, doubtful before the movie though, and also depending on well it is received.   Venom is experiencing something of a renaissance in comics too right now, so even $2000 could end up being the new floor, with or without a perfect movie. 

Speaking of which, another 9.8 popped for $2500:  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-300-CGC-9-8-New-case-Rare-White-pages-1st-Venom-Hottest-book-/222530146607?hash=item33cfd4912f:g:DZ8AAOSwDiBZLqls

And 9.6's are breaking  $800 now: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spiderman-300-CGC-9-6-White-Origin-1st-Appearance-VENOM-NEW-/322544344206?hash=item4b19241c8e:g:aYAAAOSwY3BZNiAN

-J.

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

That seller is very "questionable" so I'd take that sale with a grain of salt.

On 6/15/2017 at 5:38 PM, I like pie said:

Nice but I hope whomever bought it wasn't hoping for a 9.8. I see at least two spine tics and some wear on front left bottom corner. 9.6 max.

I've seen many 9.8 asm 300's with multiple color breaking spine ticks. I think cgc is light on it. What appears to be color rub on the outside edge is the real issue with that copy imo.