• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Appreciation/ Club Thread
12 12

1,166 posts in this topic

ok I'm a asm 300 newb but I got a 9.6 today in the mail and noticed the right side of the front cover is all jagged on the edging.

did not know about this issue with this particular comic nor did I notice it in the pics

does this make it less desireable than ones without this factory defect or is just super common and accepted?

Edited by rkretz

Just now, rkretz said:

ok I'm a asm 300 newb but I got a 9.6 today in the mail and noticed the front cover is all jagged.....

did not know about this issue with this particular comic nor did I notice it in the pics

does this make it less desireable than ones without this factory defect or is just super common and accepted?

You really need to show us a pic of the book. I have no idea what you mean by 'the front cover is all jagged' . I suspect you mean wavy and that is a problem with the slab. If so, you should get the book reholdered. It is generally NOT acceptable.

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You really need to show us a pic of the book. I have no idea what you mean by 'the front cover is all jagged' . I suspect you mean wavy and that is a problem with the slab. If so, you should get the book reholdered. It is generally NOT acceptable.

sorry I edited it.... did not  explain  properly the first time

Edited by rkretz

1 minute ago, rkretz said:

sorry I edited it.... did not  explain  properly the first time

I think we still need to see a pic. Now it sounds like you are describing chips.

I think I see what you are talking about, mostly near the top area of the right edge ? I've seen this before on ASM 300 so apparently CGC considers it bindery. I'm not sure how 'common' it is. Personally, I think it would bother me. 

On 4/14/2018 at 7:41 AM, jason4 said:

God...getting 9.8 is so impossible. My bro’s book looked absolutely perfect. Had it pressed and everything yet STILL comes back 9.6. Still happy but damn it must be microscopic differences. ?

Or possibly NOT since many here are saying that 9.6 is the new 9.8 as CGC has apparently really tightened up their grading on the uber HG books. (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

yes its the top right but its all along the edging... if you can zoom in its rough all along the side and I guess its considered a factory defect but not sure how common it really is

This is a common issue with ASM #300. My 2 original copies I bought at my LCS when it came out have this issue. All the copies at my LCS had this issue because I asked the owner for better copies when they came out, but all the issues in their order were like that. The cutting machine must have had issues that day which was fixed later. Thankfully I was able to pick-up copies without the issue later on. It always aggravated me that I had the poorly cut copies!

I was at a local one day show and saw about 15 copies of this book, some slabbed while others were raw.  The dealers were asking aggressive prices ie raw NM- for $375 and when it came down to negotiating, well, they weren’t having any of it,claiming the book was really hot and they will sell it in no time.

by the end of the show, I bought two slabbed copies, but the remaining copies were still unsold.  Attendance was very strong and, and there was a lot of money in the room so I’m just wondering if this book is actually hot or just hyped?

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 5/6/2018 at 10:20 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I was at a local one day show and saw about 15 copies of this book, some slabbed while others were raw.  The dealers were asking aggressive prices ie raw NM- for $375 and when it came down to negotiating, well, they weren’t having any of it,claiming the book was really hot and they will sell it in no time.

by the end of the show, I bought two slabbed copies, but the remaining copies were still unsold.  Attendance was very strong and, and there was a lot of money in the room so I’m just wondering if this book is actually hot or just hyped?

hyped = hot  

On 5/13/2018 at 10:51 AM, kimik said:

Seeing slabbed CGC 6.0 prices, soon the entry point for a mid grade copy will be $300 at this rate........

It's interesting because books that sell in all grades usually have their mid-grade pricing driven by the entry point for a complete copy somewhere around 2.0.  But there just aren't very many CGC 2.0 copies of ASM #300, so the question will be whether CGC 2.0 to CGC 4.0 of ASM #300 are also going to sell for $200+, or whether they'll be way under $200 (as they should be if you can get a CGC 6.0 for $300).

Has it really been over a month since anyone posted a comment on this topic?

note: went to the Motorcity show and saw a 9.8 Stan Lee and Todd McFarlane SS for $4K, and a 9.6 for $2K, but I left on the first day of the show.  Given Stan’s recent troubles and show cancellations, it may be difficult to secure his appearance for another sig series opportunity so just wondering what folks think about the asking prices for the aforementioned books? ?

On 6/22/2018 at 6:36 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Has it really been over a month since anyone posted a comment on this topic?

note: went to the Motorcity show and saw a 9.8 Stan Lee and Todd McFarlane SS for $4K, and a 9.6 for $2K, but I left on the first day of the show.  Given Stan’s recent troubles and show cancellations, it may be difficult to secure his appearance for another sig series opportunity so just wondering what folks think about the asking prices for the aforementioned books? ?

I don't know what SS books normally fetch for a premium, but a 9.8 Stan Lee and McFarlane signed book would be a tougher one to get. If regular 9.8s are $2500 then $4k for the double signed copy is not too outrageous.

15 hours ago, kimik said:

I don't know what SS books normally fetch for a premium, but a 9.8 Stan Lee and McFarlane signed book would be a tougher one to get. If regular 9.8s are $2500 then $4k for the double signed copy is not too outrageous.

I sold this 5x sig (Lee, McFarlane, Michelinie, Parker, Salicrup) Newsstand for $4,200 back in December.  Who knows what I could get for it now?  Not the best pic but here it is:

1471C382-F51E-4128-BF22-48DC400A4361.jpeg