• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Appreciation/ Club Thread
12 12

1,166 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, october said:

Curious what people think the current value of this copy is. 9.8/9.8 double cover white newsstand variant. The only double cover I have ever seen of this issue, though there are probably more out there. 

Every time I think about selling it I stop, but values are reaching a pretty decent level for regular 9.8s.

Very cool.  I would say double the standard 9.8 at least, so that's $5,000 or so.  You might also say half the 9.9 value, which would be closer to $7,000 (last 9.9 sale was $13,500). hm

35 minutes ago, october said:

Curious what people think the current value of this copy is. 9.8/9.8 double cover white newsstand variant. The only double cover I have ever seen of this issue, though there are probably more out there. 

Every time I think about selling it I stop, but values are reaching a pretty decent level for regular 9.8s.

scan0008 (4).jpg

A nice copy but if it was me, I have no emotional attachment to any comic book and that one would be gone in the blink of an eye given the current market climate and its uniqueness.  Likely would realize a higher price then you'll ever have the chance of achieving again.

I had a copy of this forever... pretty sure I got this in high school along with NM98 and some other random stuff in a trade for BadMotorFinger and Jar of Flies on CD right around the time that Superunknown came out.

Can't say I'm too unhappy with the grade given the number of times this got read and/or passed up and down the aisles in class!

One day maybe I'll spring for the upgrade, but for now I'm good!

300-CGCFNVF.jpg

13 minutes ago, Schmakt said:

I had a copy of this forever... pretty sure I got this in high school along with NM98 and some other random stuff in a trade for BadMotorFinger and Jar of Flies on CD right around the time that Superunknown came out.

Can't say I'm too unhappy with the grade given the number of times this got read and/or passed up and down the aisles in class!

300-CGCFNVF.jpg

You should write up your memories about the book and keep it with the slab.  Eventually, someone else will own this book and they'd probably like to know its history.

42 minutes ago, Schmakt said:

300-CGCFNVF.jpg

I've got a copy like this too but keep it unslabbed. In 1991, a friend offered to sell it to me with ASM 299 for $20 or $15 by itself. Two years later, I bought the pair for $20. It took a while to save up the $20 because I was "investing" in Marvel Trading Cards and needed to complete my set. :makepoint:

Of course the first thing I did was display it in a room with lots of sunlight just like he did. I'm surprised it still looks great. 

46 minutes ago, Schmakt said:

300-CGCFNVF.jpg

Your copy has held up pretty well for getting passed around so much. I let my brother read my original copy and it looked like a truck ran over it when he returned it. 

On 7/24/2018 at 4:08 PM, october said:

scan0008 (4).jpg

Sell it now and turn it into as many Hulk 181s as you can.........

On 7/24/2018 at 3:08 PM, october said:

scan0008 (4).jpg

Ka-Ching! :flipbait:

On 7/12/2018 at 2:19 PM, DST said:

I'm thinking this 9.9 set listing had to be sold through a direct offer which is done through ebay messages.  Seems ridiculously high. 

When a book is sold through a direct offer that the seller makes to the buyer (lower than the BIN) via their message correspondence, the completed listing still reflects that the book sold for the BIN price.  eBay sold listings will look like the buyer paid the BIN price and that’s what is reported to GPA.  Just another way GPA gets manipulated...

Hopefully, it doesn't get captured in GPA since it was sold as a set and how would you be able to segregate the prices between the 3 books.  (shrug)

Probably for the best anyways, as I highly doubt that anybody is really going to believe that this set sold for $125K.  Maybe for $125K in terms of the Venezuelan Bolivar.  lol

After all, who in their right mind would have enough confidence in CGC's grading consistency to be paying that kind of a premium for a CGC 9.9 graded book when it could just as easily come back as a CGC 9.8 or dare we say even as a CGC 9.6 if ever resubmitted.  Of course, on the other hand, it could also come back as a CGC 10.0 graded copy the next time.  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

On 5/14/2018 at 2:39 PM, valiantman said:
On 5/13/2018 at 8:51 AM, kimik said:

Seeing slabbed CGC 6.0 prices, soon the entry point for a mid grade copy will be $300 at this rate........

It's interesting because books that sell in all grades usually have their mid-grade pricing driven by the entry point for a complete copy somewhere around 2.0.  But there just aren't very many CGC 2.0 copies of ASM #300, so the question will be whether CGC 2.0 to CGC 4.0 of ASM #300 are also going to sell for $200+, or whether they'll be way under $200 (as they should be if you can get a CGC 6.0 for $300).

Wow, haven't been paying much attention lately to Spidey 300, but you guys can't be serious about $200, let alone $300 for a mid-grade copy.  :whatthe:  :screwy:

Especially when the CGC census alone (without any count from the other company) appears to be closing in on 20K graded copies in total, with about 10,000 copies of these being in CGC 9.2 or higher.  That's a whole ton of copies out there, even in the uber higher grades for buyers to choose from.  hm

In fact, if you take a look at both the CL and CL big summer auctions due to end next week, there are 5 HG copies on CL plus another 4 HG copies available for the CC auction.  The part I don't seem to understand is why are the bids for the CL copies in the same CGC grades going for about $150 to almost $300 more for the equivalent graded copies on the CC auction site?  In fact, the CGC 9.0 copy of Spidey 300 on CL is going (so far) for pretty much the same price as the CGC 9.2 graded copy on CC.  Rather puzzling and yet this apparent pricing discrepancy between the 2 auction sites also seems to hold for other common CA hot books like Spidey 238, Daredevil 168, NM 98, etc.  Go figure that???  ???

Makes me wonder if this apparent pricing discrepancy is due to the customer base or is it due to the differing auction formats between the 2 auction houses?  From my point of view, CL's reputation was originally built based more upon the recent books such as the BA and CA books, so their customer base might be much stronger here.  CC's expertise and reputation goes further back to the GA and hence their customer base might not be so focused on the more recent BA and CA books.  For example, if I was looking to buy or sell a pre-Robin 'Tec book, my first thought would be to check out CC as opposed to even bothering to look at CL.  (shrug)

Or is it due more to the differing auction formats employed by both of these auction houses?  With CL's auctions ending right at the listed end times, I guess there is no real reason to hold back on your bids and no reason for anybody to really toss in an "atomic bomb style sniping" bid at the end since if you don't win a Spidey 300 9.6 or 9.8, there'll be another one available in the CC auction right the next day.  And on the other hand with CC's extended bidding format, I guess there is no real reason for serious bidders to toss in their real bids until the end when they can see what everybody else is bidding and they then have "full control" over the final bid.  hm

It will be interesting to see if this current pricing discrepancy between the 2 auction houses for these equivalent graded copies of common CA books still exist at the end of the auctions when it's all said and done, since financial arbitrage and common sense would dictate that there should not be a significant difference.  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, haven't been paying much attention lately to Spidey 300, but you guys can't be serious about $200, let alone $300 for a mid-grade copy.  :whatthe:  :screwy:

We're not paying it... we're just reporting it. The most recent CGC 6.0 sale was $288.

Amazing Spider-man #300 is entering the phase of "I just want a real copy" for collectors.  There's possibly (because it isn't proven yet) a mindset that any book with a "True Believers" reprint should be valued highly if it's "the real thing"... since we're seeing several books which are generally plentiful rising in price around the same time the "True Believers" and other reprints are being put in front of collectors who may not have ever known about "the real thing" before. 

Edited by valiantman

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:
9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

We're not paying it... we're just reporting it. The most recent CGC 6.0 sale was $288.

Amazing Spider-man #300 is entering the phase of "I just want a real copy" for collectors.  There's possibly (because it isn't proven yet) a mindset that any book with a "True Believers" reprint should be valued highly if it's "the real thing"... since we're seeing several books which are generally plentiful rising in price around the same time the "True Believers" and other reprints are being put in front of collectors who may not have ever known about "the real thing" before. 

Actually, I thought you was talking about a possible near future situation for this book in terms of $300 for a mid-grade copy.  I didn't realize the future was here already.  lol

If the buyer was willing to pay this kind of money for a mid-grade copy, why not simply wait and pay possibly just a bit more for a far superior copy in the upcoming auctions next week.  It would appear to be much more value for your money if say either the CGC 9.0 or 9.2 graded copies ends up finishing only around the $350 to $400 price range.  hm

Yes, it would appear that Spidey 300 just might end up following behind Hulk 181's footprint.  By this, I mean that the value of copies in all grades across the entire condition spectrum goes up and not only in the uber high grades.  As I have stated in the past, to me that's a sign that a book is crossing over to becoming a true vintage comic book collectible, as opposed to being just a graded label collectible only.  (thumbsu

ALL 8.0 sales dating back to June are between $250-350.... ???  edit well blue label anyway, with 1 outlier of a $400 purchase

perhaps the 6.0 in that range is an outlier?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, it would appear that Spidey 300 just might end up following behind Hulk 181's footprint.  By this, I mean that the value of copies in all grades across the entire condition spectrum goes up and not only in the uber high grades.  As I have stated in the past, to me that's a sign that a book is crossing over to becoming a true vintage comic book collectible, as opposed to being just a graded label collectible only.  (thumbsu

I agree.  I noticed the same thing with TMNT #1 first printing several years ago.  The cost for CGC 9.0 was almost identical to CGC 6.0, both being in the $2,500 to $3,500 range.  ASM #300 is older now than TMNT #1 was at that point.  Yes, there are basically an unlimited quantity of ASM #300, but that means it's "the real thing" which can be easily found for about the same price as a bunch of the current "hot variants"... and we all know how well "hot variants" hold up in the market compared to 30 year old classics.  There are winners among the variant games, but also lots of losers.  30 year old classic books are always winners, even if you temporarily overpay.  They catch up again, the dips in the market don't stay low.

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

ALL 8.0 sales dating back to June are between $250-350.... ??? 

perhaps the 6.0 in that range is an outlier?

Are you stating a fact or asking if the statement is true or not?

If your statement is in fact true, then this is probably why Overstreet raised his top of guide price for Spidey from $250 all the way up to $350 for an not so Overstreet-like 40% price increase.  lol