• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes an A–Level PREACHER page?
2 2

413 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, malvin said:

Too bad clink doesn't keep all their auction archives.

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about htis

Malvin

Sold for $475 on 09/13/2016

After reading this topic for several years with varying degrees of personal interest, I have finally determined that what makes an A-level Preacher page is  that it must be a page that I own and which contains the characters I like most doing something that makes me happy.  Under that completely objective criteria, I now have an A-level Preacher page on the way.

Speaking of pages with specific content,  I actually was going to make a run at collecting Cassidy "How're Yez" pages - I have a good one that's a 1/3 splash - but I gave up when I lost the full splash on clink (Cassidy bearing down on the mafia guy in the pit) for 2.4k.  Great page - congrats to the owner!

3 hours ago, Claudio said:

AKA Rick is back on the boards!!!!!   :banana:  I tagged him on this so he could help clear the air.   :foryou:  @aka Rick1

What happened was the person who won it, ended up contacting me through these CGC boards, as I was of course promoting the auction, shortly after he won it, and found out I had other pages and art, and basically said he'd give me the artwork plus $5,000 in cash for the other artwork as a trade/purchase, so I re-acquired the artwork all while selling off another piece, so it worked out well for me, as I turned a moderate sale on ComicLink into a bigger sale, in part really, thanks to the CGC boards (as well as CAF) here where the buyer was able to connect the dots and contact me knowing I had consigned the pieces and also had other artwork for sale.  There was no shilling, as I didn't win my own artwork, if that was the question.  I then figured put the piece up for sale on eBay at a fixed price or best offer rather than resubmit it as a consignment since it's already gone that route.  'nuff said?

1 hour ago, aka Rick1 said:

What happened was the person who won it, ended up contacting me through these CGC boards, as I was of course promoting the auction, shortly after he won it, and found out I had other pages and art, and basically said he'd give me the artwork plus $5,000 in cash for the other artwork as a trade/purchase, so I re-acquired the artwork all while selling off another piece, so it worked out well for me, as I turned a moderate sale on ComicLink into a bigger sale, in part really, thanks to the CGC boards (as well as CAF) here where the buyer was able to connect the dots and contact me knowing I had consigned the pieces and also had other artwork for sale.  There was no shilling, as I didn't win my own artwork, if that was the question.  I then figured put the piece up for sale on eBay at a fixed price or best offer rather than resubmit it as a consignment since it's already gone that route.  'nuff said?

No.  Not 'nuff said...:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Why would someone offer you pages that you sold (i.e. Didn't want) as trade bait?  Makes absolutely zero sense.  It's not like they were even in your possession and the deal would have saved shipping.  I'm saying bs.  Everyone else who reads this would come to the same conclusion.  Bidder beware of your next auction.  That's my advice.  'Nuff said!

14 minutes ago, Claudio said:

No.  Not 'nuff said...:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Why would someone offer you pages that you sold (i.e. Didn't want) as trade bait?  Makes absolutely zero sense.  It's not like they were even in your possession and the deal would have saved shipping.  I'm saying bs.  Everyone else who reads this would come to the same conclusion.  Bidder beware of your next auction.  That's my advice.  'Nuff said!

I think the situation being represented is that he sold a page for say 5k but had a page @ say 10k privately that the buyer liked better, so he let the buyer trade it in towards the larger purchase, ending up in 5k more in his pocket.    It's possible.   It would be unusual.

8 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I think the situation being represented is that he sold a page for say 5k but had a page @ say 10k privately that the buyer liked better, so he let the buyer trade it in towards the larger purchase, ending up in 5k more in his pocket.    It's possible.   It would be unusual.

This may make sense to some, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. 

- A buyer buys a page on CLink ($800 ballpark)

- turns right around and offers it right back to the original seller as trade plus $5,000 cash.

So, does the buyer take an instant loss on the trade he just paid $800+ for? Certainly he didn't get the full value he just paid in trade.  He's willing to take that $200/$300+ hit for a piece he held so briefly? It could be possible.  Is Jesusjon back on the boards   :devil:  :baiting: 

I'd like to hear from the buyer just to validate this story.  Just looks odd to me.  (shrug)

14 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Bronty, Thank You.

I only replied to spell out what happened. Believe it or not, as possible or impossible as anyone wants to think.  The page itself was returned as part of a negotiation for a bigger sale of part trade and part cash.  I wasn't seeking to get that specific page back per se, but it was part of what he offered me in the deal and that's why I'm reselling it.  

I'm not here to be defensive nor be offended or get into a war of words by such the like as Claudio.  All I can say is, please Claudio, do not bid on nor support any of my auctions, that's your choice.  I'd rather have friends than enemies on this board, so never say a disparaging word about another member, especially where I can't substantiate any claims for accusation.  With that, I'd again, prefer to co-exist, 'tho if you want to continue with a negative smear campaign against me, a person you've never met nor dealt with or even know, that's your option to exercise your freedom of speech, but please choose yours words wisely and try to be respectful if not professional.

10 minutes ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

This may make sense to some, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. 

- A buyer buys a page on CLink ($800 ballpark)

- turns right around and offers it right back to the original seller as trade plus $5,000 cash.

So, does the buyer take an instant loss on the trade he just paid $800+ for? Certainly he didn't get the full value he just paid in trade.  He's willing to take that $200/$300+ hit for a piece he held so briefly? It could be possible.  Is Jesusjon back on the boards   :devil:  :baiting: 

I'd like to hear from the buyer just to validate this story.  Just looks odd to me.  (shrug)

Mr NSN -- I basically sold a piece I had priced at $6,000 for $5,000 plus the page.  I didn't pay $1,000 for the page, I gave $1,000 credit towards the $6k purchase, which when all said and done, I would have given him a cash discount for that page anyway, but he was short money, so offered up that (and other pages, but this was the only one I felt I could turn back into cash).  So, he got what he wanted, didn't feel like he took a hit on the page he just bought, and I made a sale and got the cash I wanted with a discount I could afford to give.  I hope that clarifies the transaction.  I'm feeling a lynch mob mentality forming, so don't want to seem defensive addressing these questions and think I've provided enough information to address the original inquiry.  At this point, whether anyone believes it or doesn't, I can't control nor will try to sway opinions.  I love 98% of the CGC community, but know there's always that 2% or more that you will probably not sync up with but be mature enough to "agree to disagree" and move on.

I enjoy exploring creative business accounting that doesn't turn a profit in the end, yet the business continues to stay in business. I'm sure the IRS does too, when it's worth their trouble to dig into. We see these stories bubble up occasionally in our hobby, probably other hobbies too. Coincidentally, it's almost always 'trade' that is the lynchpin of these stories. Not referring to any individual specifically posting in this thread, just an add-on. I'm reminded of a previous thread where a similar situation developed: a piece visibly moved back and forth a bit, but that was all okay because the 'trade' quickly 'sold' for the exact same value as given in trade. All good. Except...so much work...for no profit lol

9 hours ago, aka Rick1 said:

Mr NSN -- I basically sold a piece I had priced at $6,000 for $5,000 plus the page.  I didn't pay $1,000 for the page, I gave $1,000 credit towards the $6k purchase, which when all said and done, I would have given him a cash discount for that page anyway, but he was short money, so offered up that (and other pages, but this was the only one I felt I could turn back into cash).  So, he got what he wanted, didn't feel like he took a hit on the page he just bought, and I made a sale and got the cash I wanted with a discount I could afford to give.  I hope that clarifies the transaction.  I'm feeling a lynch mob mentality forming, so don't want to seem defensive addressing these questions and think I've provided enough information to address the original inquiry.  At this point, whether anyone believes it or doesn't, I can't control nor will try to sway opinions.  I love 98% of the CGC community, but know there's always that 2% or more that you will probably not sync up with but be mature enough to "agree to disagree" and move on.

You have TWO pages on eBay that were on clink.  The post above specifically mentions one page.  Did you get the other page in a "trade" too?  This story just doesn't seem credible.

I don't come on these boards looking to create a mob mentality.  Normally, I wouldn't even notice.  But I do tend to track the Preacher market so this was pretty obvious to me.  You come on these boards and advertise your auctions.  I feel it is only fair to warn potential bidders .

12 minutes ago, Claudio said:

You have TWO pages on eBay that were on clink.  The post above specifically mentions one page.  Did you get the other page in a "trade" too?  This story just doesn't seem credible.

I don't come on these boards looking to create a mob mentality.  Normally, I wouldn't even notice.  But I do tend to track the Preacher market so this was pretty obvious to me.  You come on these boards and advertise your auctions.  I feel it is only fair to warn potential bidders .

Wait, I forgot that there were 2 pages!  OK, while the reason was unlikely but plausible, now that there are 2 pages, the reason makes no sense.

Malvin

3 hours ago, artistlost said:

I seem to remember that it was actually three pages that he had for sale at one time. All three were sequential in numbering. I can't find the links but I am 99% sure that he had 3...

I don't think the original number is important, but it was 4  :preach:

On 3/9/2017 at 6:19 AM, furthur said:

After reading this topic for several years with varying degrees of personal interest, I have finally determined that what makes an A-level Preacher page is  that it must be a page that I own and which contains the characters I like most doing something that makes me happy.  Under that completely objective criteria, I now have an A-level Preacher page on the way.

Did you ever get your page?