• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes an A–Level PREACHER page?
2 2

413 posts in this topic

I'm firmly in the "extremely disappointed "side of the opinion (to say the least) as far as the TV show is concerned. With source material as strong as it is I cannot see the point of watering it down and going at it in a half arsed way.  Then again I'm Irish so what the f&*^ do I know except that Cassidy is the best thing in it and they have well and truly ruined the character of Jesse, nothing like the guy in the comic book. And don't get me started on Tulip. You know, the blond girl, who's father taught her to shoot in the woods when she was what, 6 years old! (and who never shagged Cassidy (at least until she thought Jesse was dead and she was drugged out of her mind), and was never married, yeah, that girl who was totally committed to Jesse, WTF!)

FFS. If your gonna do it, do it right (and I'm not intentionally quoting the George Michael song!)......

Rant officially over. 

And breathe....

Actually no, while i'm at it, why don't we turn the Black Panther into a skinny freckly faced, ginger, paddy boy , who wields a rather ferocious looking shillelagh when's had a dram too many...

Gonna grab a nice Guiness now boys and enjoy some catholic guilt while i can, I'll be seeing ye's, unless the Pale Paddy Panther gets to me first... 

Edited by RYEBABY

1 hour ago, RYEBABY said:

I'm firmly in the "extremely disappointed "side of the opinion (to say the least) as far as the TV show is concerned. With source material as strong as it is I cannot see the point of watering it down and going at it in a half arsed way.  Then again I'm Irish so what the f&*^ do I know except that Cassidy is the best thing in it and they have well and truly ruined the character of Jesse, nothing like the guy in the comic book. And don't get me started on Tulip. You know, the blond girl, who's father taught her to shoot in the woods when she was what, 6 years old! (and who never shagged Cassidy (at least until she thought Jesse was dead and she was drugged out of her mind), and was never married, yeah, that girl who was totally committed to Jesse, WTF!)

FFS. If your gonna do it, do it right (and I'm not intentionally quoting the George Michael song!)......

Rant officially over. 

And breathe....

Actually no, while i'm at it, why don't we turn the Black Panther into a skinny freckly faced, ginger, paddy boy , who wields a rather ferocious looking shillelagh when's had a dram too many...

Gonna grab a nice Guiness now boys and enjoy some catholic guilt while i can, I'll be seeing ye's, unless the Pale Paddy Panther gets to me first... 

It took me most of the first season to get over the fact that they weren't doing 'Preacher', but some alternate reality version thereof. I'm fine with it now, I enjoy it, the show can be real fun, and there is no doubt it is heavily inspired by it's source material. When I want the comics exactly as they were, they're always there sitting on my bookshelf.

Having said that, Jesse is definitely my third favorite of the three main characters in the show... I'm still not sure what type of guy they're trying to make him out to be... he seems far too passive at times to be a guy that would up and go on a quest to find God, so... I don't know. Ruth Nega though, she is a fine actress, her version of Tulip has really grown on me - I think she has done the most to embody the character she was given, but I'm sure I feel that way in part because, as you say, she isn't really very much like the Tulip from the comic at all. Joe Gilgun is, at times, quite close to the Cassidy we all know and love, he's great fun in the show, and that would likely be enough for me to keep watching all by itself if the show does stay on the air.

Just a heads up to all you Preacher art fans out there. The owner of the #6 page 3 art that recently was just ended on eBay is not the friendliest person. After a few emails back and forth they really need to work on their customer service skills.

5 hours ago, artistlost said:

Just a heads up to all you Preacher art fans out there. The owner of the #6 page 3 art that recently was just ended on eBay is not the friendliest person. After a few emails back and forth they really need to work on their customer service skills.

He is named "evil kid"  (shrug)  You know people with those types of off-putting names are typically jerks  :fear:

At $4000, I expect that page to get a "few" re-lists.  Might as well put it on the same cycle as the issue 1 page by 'satchj3'   I think that's going on it's 3rd or 4th year of re-lists, and the recent $2000+ price increase doesn't look to be helping any. 

6 hours ago, TheLostDreams said:

Pretty disappointed so far with the tv show...they sort of went off the rails with Arseface in hell with Hitler...AND, is John Wayne ever going to appear?

Going by where it looks like season three is going, if he doesn't show up soon, then I'd have to guess he isn't going to show up at all... at least not as he did in the comic.

1 minute ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

I haven't noticed any fading on mine. 

But then I'm the blasphemer that keeps his art in portfolios instead of on the wall. 

Good to know (thumbsu

Where is marker used? Spot blacks; line-work; panel borders?

On 9/27/2017 at 1:50 PM, RYEBABY said:

Rant officially over. 

And breathe....

Totally agree.  I love the Walking Dead series, I love a lot of the Marvel films - and while I prize an adaptation's regard for it's source material more than a civilian, I'm not as fanatic as, say, John Byrne about total devotion (if you follow the Byrne Forum, you'll understand haha).  

But man - I tried staying with it for the entire first season, considering how long it took to get this thing made (even though, by the end of the first episode, I was thinking "uh-oh..")   So disappointed.  The actor playing Jessie feels so completely off, and his direction seems so off. There were times where I even forgot what the hell I was watching - "Wait, this is supposed to be based on Preacher?"  WTF?  I understand their attempt to flesh out the backstories of the characters in season one, I guess, so they can start their "road trip? (I guess the adaptation of the comic starts in season two?  Because almost nothing from season 1 I really recognized), but I've totally lost interest.    

I don't know, is it better now?

Anyway - back on topic now.  

I've been trying to add a Preacher page to my collection basically since I started collecting about 3.5 years ago, but it never seemed to quite work out.  In fact, I was the underbidder on a couple of the pages that have popped up in this thread. :)

Anyway, I was finally able to pick one up.  Lots of good stuff here.  It's got Jessie and The Duke (and TC), some great dialog, and it's from a pretty pivotal point in a classic arc.

Thanks to Claudio for hooking me up!

Mike

PreacherIssue11Page23.jpg