• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes an A–Level PREACHER page?
2 2

413 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

So is that a consensus A-level page? I've never personally been all about SOK, but I concede it is some really nice Dillon work. 

I would say most people would consider it an A-level page.  Early page.  Lots of detail.  SOK.  Cassidy.  The only knock would be that there is no Jesse.

16 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

Really? [I do not follow the preacher market]

I think it could surprise.  Maybe not 5k but who knows? 

I am just really thankful that I was able to grab an SOK page off ebay earlier in the year.  The ha.com page is much better but I also believe it will go for 2-3x the amount I paid

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1371577

Well I just remembered that HA had their Summer auction underway and had a quick browse, the current SoK price made my jaw drop. Guess I've been out of the loop for a while...

Great page though, if it was 5k lower I may have bid ?

This page makes me both sad and sick.  Once upon a time, back in the year of 2000 or so, I owned a few Preacher pages.  Sold them at a con to get money for--whatever.  Don't have the books in front of me, but one of them was the page in which Cassidy gets his first stuck in Freddy Allen's mouth (the actual punch page; panel was the bottom quarter of the page).  I also had the splash page (final page of an issue) in which Cassidy goes to make a proposition to God.  It's basically a silhouette of Cassidy's back in a church with him looking at the crucifix.  

Sigh.  

2 hours ago, Mr. F said:

This page makes me both sad and sick.  Once upon a time, back in the year of 2000 or so, I owned a few Preacher pages.  Sold them at a con to get money for--whatever.  Don't have the books in front of me, but one of them was the page in which Cassidy gets his first stuck in Freddy Allen's mouth (the actual punch page; panel was the bottom quarter of the page).  I also had the splash page (final page of an issue) in which Cassidy goes to make a proposition to God.  It's basically a silhouette of Cassidy's back in a church with him looking at the crucifix.  

Sigh.  

I'm sad I didn't get to buy them from you at 2000 prices  :ohnoez:

Still shocked at that SOK page...  almost 9k.  I was thinking that it could go to 5k but that was the kind of a high estimate on my part.  Boy was I wrong.  If you live in a state where they collect taxes, this would have cost closer to 10k.  Stunning.  Time to start reevaluating these prices.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/steve-dillon-preacher-3-story-page-17-saint-of-killers-and-cassidy-original-art-dc-vertigo-1995-/a/7166-92084.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

And this page on eBay was a little surprising.  It is nice but I wouldn't quite call it "A" level.  Looks like the market is starting to appreciate Preacher a bit more.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Preacher-Original-Art-Comic-Board-10-2-Steve-Dillon-Garth-Ennis-Talalay9-/222633568701?hash=item33d5fea9bd:g:AkAAAOSwYZ9ZpLHf

The second season of the television show is better than the first in my opinion - and the opinion of several people I know that have no clue about the source material. Having said that, the ratings have taken a hit... for who knows what reason?  (shrug) 

So if the television show is driving this, if the show is cancelled due to the ratings hit in season two, I wonder if things may go 'back to normal.' If not, then I'd guess this is just Preacher OA getting it's due.

Yeah, I definitely liked this season more than last season. But I have a hard time believing these prices have much to do with the show.  It just doesn't seem to be resonating.  But then again, all you need is a few more interested parties to make prices jump.

I have a bunch of co-workers who love the show and are constantly shocked by a lot of the stuff in it.

I just smile and nod and think to myself "you want shocking? Imagine seeing/reading those ideas TWENTY YEARS ago."

Edited by J.Sid
typo

I feel like I should like the show more than I do.  And I'm never displeased with the show, I just don't love it.

I've watched almost the whole 1st season, about to try to start season 2 on demand.  But it always feels like option B or C when i'm looking for entertainment.

The first season had a lot more problems in my opinion... at least for people familiar with the source material. They were in some sort of non-canonical purgatory... I'm not sure what they were basing anything on. The second season at least has more of the content shored up by the comics.

Anyway, sorry to participate in minor thread derailment!

I was much happier with the 2nd season.  The first season felt forced in a lot of ways.  In season 2 dialogue and plot got better and it just became more entertaining.  It is nothing like I would have imagined but the season left off on a great cliffhanger

I'm enjoying the second season much more, as well. It took them that first season to get a better handle on adapting the story for TV. Unfortunately, I don't know how many stuck around to see that happen. Even for me, I'm not especially motivated to watch every episode right away, as I would with my favorite shows.

In the end, besides the initial bump from the show announcement, I don't think there will be that much impact on OA values.