• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes an A–Level PREACHER page?
2 2

413 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

Well, if it is new/newish money it will most likely make it to CAF. No trophy hunter will want to keep it hidden.

At these prices I may join the one(+X) and done crowd myself.  :frown:

More like one(+ x2 ) in your case

10 hours ago, oldwhy said:

Is this fading marker? 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/steve-dillon-punisher-war-zone-1-cover-original-art-marvel-2009-/p/7204-85002.s

If it is I’ll never take my preacher pages out of the portfolio again. 

Pretty ugly. I'm not sure anything can save that from happening though. It looks like two different types of marker were used and one is fading differently (faster) than the other, but that fade can/will happen even in darkness. Light exposure would probably just speed things up, but it's going to happen anyway. Regular ol' markers really suck that way.

14 hours ago, oldwhy said:

Is this fading marker? 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/steve-dillon-punisher-war-zone-1-cover-original-art-marvel-2009-/p/7204-85002.s

If it is I’ll never take my preacher pages out of the portfolio again. 

What makes an A-Level PREACHER page?   No fading like this.

I have a couple of pages with large black areas, but ave no fading on them like this. However, I have scanned some that look horrible in the scan, but no detectable fading when held in hand. I'm wondering how true to life that scan is. 

Imma guess most if not all of your pages reside in nifty portfolios, individually labeled by issue and whathaveyou?

My money would be on this page having seen plenty of daylight. Possibly framed and on someone’s wall since new.

UV makes a big big difference on marker, watercolor and solvent-based inks and dyes.

This is as opposed to pigment based inks and paints like oil paint, gouache, India ink, etc and so on. Which isn’t to say some of these can’t also fade and or shift in hue or value (light/dark, not $) over time. Differing materials are all subject to something destructive. Light, temperature, heat or humidity, insects, blah blah blah.

If one doesn’t want to own something that isn’t going to degrade, the best bet is to not buy anything at all... I don’t mean markers. I mean ANYthing. It’s all subject to degradation somehow. At least go in with eyes wide open. 

All that said, not all markers (solvent based inks) are created equally. Some are even sold as being archival. Translate that into, it just fades much slower than the ones that don’t bother trying to stick around and can go in a year or less. Though that archival technology is still developing.

Back when Preacher started, no one really cared. 

Paul Pope told me Alex Toth recommended Paul use everything he could get his hands on for art supplies. Hence why he has so much marker in his older pieces. And why so much Toth work is marker.

They are easy to transport, immediately ready to use, and require no breakdown or cleanup at the end of the day. They create distinct marks. Are available in many shapes and sizes. And are relatively cheap.

Or again, used to be, until the art market really got ahold of them with brush pens and the like. Now they can be actually far more expensive to use than a really nice sable brush and a pot of nice India ink.

I digress a bit.

The point being, some great artists made great use of markers to make some great work. And if one wants that work, they should go in understanding what it is, it’s strengths and weaknesses.

Dillon may have had a favorite brand of markers, for thickness, smoothness of line, it’s capacity for spotting large areas of black, or because it was the cheapest thing he could get his hands on. Meaning, it could come down to which one he picked up that day.

Keeping in mind when Steve sold these pages, they were sold by Wildstorm for $60-300 each, roughly. With only the splashiest of splashes in that $200 stratosphere. The bulk were under $100.

And those prices were before WS took their end. Steve wasn’t making bank selling the OA.  It was seemingly still just a byproduct of the process to make a bit of coin on after the fact. Getting the work in and on time was the job. Longevity didn’t seem to creep into the OA conversation a lot until towards the end of the 90s, beginning of 2000.

The concern for the older OA was about tape, glue and coffee and cigar/cigarette staining, and paste ups. There were faded marker pieces that would pop up every now and again, but markers as a tool in comic OA medium really took off in the 80s, and it took until well into the 90s for pieces to re-emerge for sale from folks that had acquired 80s art and hung pieces in frames, for collectors to start to notice some of their favorites weren’t aging so well.

Dillon was more than likely not thinking about longevity or how well his Preacher pages would last in the world. Or of legacy.

In fact, I’d be surprised if Ennis or Dillon thought of Preacher as much more than a timely vehicle for vulgar cultural commentary on America. A bit of a laugh and that punk rock sense of getting away with something. And it’s only been in the subsequent years that it’s gained a notariety as being a must-read for exactly those reasons. That the thing we thought of as throwaway fun in the moment actually might have cultural significance down the line.

(Enter Lichtenstein & Warhol discussion)

What I would add, other than my pointless ramblings about preservation history to those that are already aware, is that pretty much all markers migrate eventually.

The solvents (alcohol, etc) that make they dyes come out of the marker tips don’t stay put in paper. Some were good at evaporating and their biggest sin is that the color they leave behind is simply prone to fading. Other markers will leave oils behind, that will bleed out of where they were applied. They may look soft on the edges, fade purple, sepia or green, bleed through the back of the paper further. Leave areas that look like grease stains that extend beyond the line areas. Leech off the paper onto whatever is in front or behind it. They can stain and discolor things that touch it.

I’ve had acid free portfolios with the Mylar stained like the shroud of tourin, with comic images drawn in marker that were in those sleeves. 

If you’ve ever had a marker page in a Mylar sleeve or Itoya, and then taken it out and put something else in...might be worth reconsidering that practice.

I had a black marker piece in an Itoya that left linework on the clear sleeve. I stuck a clean white piece of paper in it and you could clearly see the drawing there in the clear surface stained in a a very light yellow.

I took out the black paper spacer and couldn’t really see anything until I held it up in front of a window. And there it was again, fainter but this super ghosted area that almost looked “wet” for lack of a better way of discribing it. The drawing was dry as a bone and had been in there for about 7 years. Just chemicals leeching from one paper to another.

Not all markers will do this. In truth, there are as many recipients for markers as there are ways to make Pizza. The primary consideration is that it’s never a health food, and to go in knowing what you are getting. 

Back when I was buying Preacher art, I never gave the marker a second thought. I just thought damn these pages are funny!

:)

Edited by ESeffinga

6 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Dillon was more than likely not thinking about longevity or how well his Preacher pages would last in the world. Or of legacy.

Totally awesome backstory and explanation for Preacher art from the 1990s but a 2009 Punisher cover?

Dillin should have had the budget and the knowledge to invest in better materials, for his own posterity if nothing else!

Or give the art away, for real, because charging full 2009 market for a eff-it marker cover borders on abusing your fan base lol

Two titles I never got into are Preacher and TMNT yet I’m always sucked into the two main threads. I find them much more interesting than many of the ongoing topics here. I’ve kept up with this one from the beginning even though I never had anything to contribute. I need to give this series another shot. I mean it took me several attempts with a few years in between to get through Millers DKR and at least 5 failed tries to finish Ronin starting as a teen in the 80’s and now those are two of my favorite books. 

With the addition of PREACHER 66 Page 22 to CAF that makes one less complete book out there (if you care for such trivial facts)

Nevermind.  doh!  Took a closer look at the scan. Seems the buyer doesn't know what issue this page is from (shrug)

Edited by mister_not_so_nice
observation skills kicked in

Thanks J.Sid for linking me this topis which I was unable to find after many years.

After re-reading the whole topic, I can say this page is definitely not an A page as some elements are missing (SoK, basically) but it is extremely dark and noir, from a great storyline (Proud Americans), intense moment (Jesse finally learns how Genesis was born - straight from the mouth of an Angel, Genesis' father) and incredible art by Dillon (great use of shadows).

I dare say it is a solid B+ then, but I am extremely happy about it.

Comments on CAF always welcome: 

Preacher 23

Screenshot_20200328-160813_Messenger.jpg