• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picture Parade 1 club...
1 1

31 posts in this topic

I have a preview copy as well. I keep it in mylar with the outer cover folded back ( the horror), it came that way when I bought it. If there was ever a book that it would be pointless to slab, it would be one of these with a wraparound outer cover.

ppoc001_zps0588203a.jpg

picparade001_zpsb72f616b.jpg

A boy, his dog and an A-Bomb :) doesn't get better than that :)

It does make you wonder what the heck they were thinking using that cover on a book they were apparently trying to get schools to adopt. hm

In their defense, the atom bomb was a really big concern in those days, and school kids were taught to "duck and cover" in case of an atomic attack...so yeah, I can easily see that choice being a good one to get the schools attention...no matter how unrealistic the cover was.

Edited by tricolorbrian

In their defense, the atom bomb was a really big concern in those days, and school kids were taught to "duck and cover" in case of an atomic attack...so yeah, I can easily see that choice being a good one to get the schools attention...no matter how unrealistic the cover was.

I remember having air raid drills that involved ducking under our desks. But that kid is … what, about to be die from the blast? about to receive a lethal dose of radiation?

It's juxtaposing a boy and his dog with a mushroom cloud in a way that is hard to see the point of.

I don't think the public was fully aware of the radiation problem or the range of a nuke in those days...or maybe the artist wasn't, but that's what makes it such a great oddball cover...you'll notice in that video that they never mention radiation...just the blast and heat...those kids under their desks would have been toast.

Edited by tricolorbrian

I don't think the public was fully aware of the radiation problem or the range of a nuke in those days...or maybe the artist wasn't, but that's what makes it such a great oddball cover...

I agree it's a great cover and I would love to have a copy. That it was aimed at schools adds to its oddball appeal in my view.

Yeah, but they should have also told them to wear foil hats so aliens couldn't read their thoughts... :roflmao:

Ya know, I didn't even know it was aimed at schools until I started this thread...so ya learn something new everyday. I always wondered why it had no price on it.

Edited by tricolorbrian

My dad grew up in Carrizosa New Mexico near where they blew up the 1st atomic bomb. These covers make me think of him. He would have been about the age of this boy when they tested that 1st A-bomb. Still to this day you can be driving by on the highway and they're blowing stuff up out on the White sands missile base.

Edited by gadzukes