• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

If it’s too good to be true, it probably is

Thanks Gator, honestly I would want to believe but this is really a stretch.

3k was the ask on the 3.5

4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

If it’s too good to be true, it probably is

4 hours ago, Marwood & I said:
4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Pence copies look weird to many (most?) American collectors.  The nostalgia is less because those books were never available on the newsstands here, and most of the back issues in circulation here are cents copies, so, even if you weren't around to buy this off the newsstands in 1962, whenever you saw this book on the wall at an LCS or at a show growing up, it was always a cents copy.  It may seem like a minor thing, but, I think it's actually a huge thing that warrants a large price difference.

Not at the same level, but, in the very early days of CGC, I really wanted a Thor #337 CGC 9.8 (when that was still to find - yes, noobs who weren't around in the early 2000s, 9.8s even on Moderns were hard to find back then).  My friend BronzeBruce13 got one and graciously offered it to me for a very reasonable price...and then I saw the scan.  75 cent Canadian variant.  All the nostalgia of seeing that book with the 60 cent price tag growing up just went out the window.  Didn't see 75 cent Canadian variants growing up, hence, zero nostalgia, hence, didn't want the book at all.  2c 

I can see that @delekkerste, yes. I completely understand why most US collectors feel the way they do about pence books and I get that they will never command the same sort of interest or prices as their US cousins. We like them over here of course, but also like the US originals too for their 'purity' for want of a better word.

I do like to bang the pence drum though and have always liked variants of all shapes and sizes (hence the four threads in my signature line). Maybe one day, when all the US collectors have all the US copies they can handle they'll turn to the pence copies and say "OK, let's try a run of those". If nothing else, they don't half look good. And you guys made them don't forget! :headbang:

Two things.

1) if you quote someone they'll get a notification. You don't have to @ them (unless you just want to).

2) While I agree with delekkerste's summation of how I used to feel about cover prices (I felt the same way about blank UPC boxes when I was younger) I no longer do. The world is a much smaller place than it used to be and I now realize that they're all the same books, just for different markets.

While the ROW does not value Pence copies like American copies to me they are all the same. Until someone proves otherwise anyway.

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Do you really really want to go another round with jaydog on this topic here?  :slapfight:  lol

It's not even a discussion. :acclaim:

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Two things.

1) if you quote someone they'll get a notification. You don't have to @ them (unless you just want to).

2) While I agree with delekkerste's summation of how I used to feel about cover prices (I felt the same way about blank UPC boxes when I was younger) I no longer do. The world is a much smaller place than it used to be and I now realize that they're all the same books, just for different markets.

While the ROW does not value Pence copies like American copies to me they are all the same. Until someone proves otherwise anyway.

I think people are cray !! huge cash for  35 cent variants,  as well as other variants. The pence is just a super rare variant from the same print run ! way way undervalued.  This will change, its crazy if it doesn't. This was a old timer belief that pence copies are foreign variants , different editions , they are not !  Biggest steal in the industry right now,  rare as it gets and should have more buyers.....2c .  I have been looking at a lot of different examples and in most cases they are brighter and better looking books, so I do think there is something to the first to press theory ! 

Edited by paul747

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Two things.

Hi Roy,

Two things:

1) They won't get a notification if they have set their notification preferences to no notification for 'Someone quotes a comment or post I made'

2) I think I know what you mean

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

Hi Roy,

Two things:

1) They won't get a notification if they have set their notification preferences to no notification for 'Someone quotes a comment or post I made'

2) I think I know what you mean

Hi Marwood & I,

Two things.

1) I didn't know that.

2) Cool beans.

Edited by VintageComics

2 minutes ago, paul747 said:

I think people are cray !! huge cash for a 35 cent's variants as well as other variants. The pence is just a super rare variant from the same print run ! way way undervalued.  This will change, its crazy if it doesn't. This was a old timer belief that pence copies are foreign variants , different editions , they are not !  Biggest steal in the industry right now,  rare as it gets and should have more buyers.....2c .  I have been looking at a lot of different examples and in most cases they are brighter and better looking books, so I do think there is something to the first to press theory ! 

Pop over to my pence thread and say that.  It could do with a boost :grin:

Just now, VintageComics said:

Hi Marwood & I,

Two things.

1) I didn't know that.

2) Cool beans.

Hi Roy,

Two Things;

1) Ben Grimm 

2) The one out of the John Carpenter film

30 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Hi Roy,

Two Things;

1) Ben Grimm 

2) The one out of the John Carpenter film

Hi Marwood & I,

Two things,

1) that's pretty grim.

2) that's pretty grim.

4 hours ago, paul747 said:

I think people are cray !! huge cash for  35 cent variants,  as well as other variants. The pence is just a super rare variant from the same print run ! way way undervalued.  This will change, its crazy if it doesn't. This was a old timer belief that pence copies are foreign variants , different editions , they are not !  Biggest steal in the industry right now,  rare as it gets and should have more buyers.....2c .  I have been looking at a lot of different examples and in most cases they are brighter and better looking books, so I do think there is something to the first to press theory ! 

If it's really true that pence copies are part of the same print run, printed and published concurrently with the cents copies, that is important information that I suspect the market does not fully appreciate.  I will have to admit my own ignorance -- I just assumed that pence copies were printed later than the "original" cents copies.  There may be a lot of other people out there like this.

You are right that other price variants (say for example, the 30 cent variant of X-Men #100) are typically valued higher than the standard versions.  I wonder if this is simply a function of their relative affordability.  In other words, a Bronze Age collector with a completist streak can easily afford the "regular" X-Men #100 as well as the variant.  But it's a rare Silver Age collector that can afford one copy of AF 15, much less two.  So most collectors are going to stick with the cents version and there's less leftover demand for the pence version.

Just a theory with no evidence to back it up.  (thumbsu

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

6 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

If it's really true that pence copies are part of the same print run, printed and published concurrently with the cents copies, that is important information that I suspect the market does not fully appreciate.  I will have to admit my own ignorance -- I just assumed that pence copies were printed later than the "original" cents copies.  There may be a lot of other people out there like this.

You are right that other price variants (say for example, the 30 cent variant of X-Men #100) are typically valued higher than the standard versions.  I wonder if this is simply a function of their relative affordability.  In other words, a Bronze Age collector with a completist streak can easily afford the "regular" X-Men #100 as well as the variant.  But it's a rare Silver Age collector that can afford one copy of AF 15, much less two.  So most collectors are going to stick with the cents version and there's less leftover demand for the pence version.

Just a theory with no evidence to back it up.  (thumbsu

In the case of Amazing Fantasy 15, that's a good theory. I missed my chance to get a pence version some years back. I waited, thinking I'd pick it up when I saw the 'right' copy. Now, it's just too expensive to justify getting, even with the general 50% pence vs cents value reduction. That's the reality of the hobby nowadays though. Many of the books you want are out of the reach of all but the wealthiest collectors. 

6 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

In the case of Amazing Fantasy 15, that's a good theory. I missed my chance to get a pence version some years back. I waited, thinking I'd pick it up when I saw the 'right' copy. Now, it's just too expensive to justify getting, even with the general 50% pence vs cents value reduction. That's the reality of the hobby nowadays though. Many of the books you want are out of the reach of all but the wealthiest collectors. 

I think we are in the calm before the storm with regards to Pence copies.  Why else would Pristine comics now be running ads in the OSG for Pence copies? Has any comic dealer EVER run ads in OSG searching for pence copies?  I wonder if they are the ones who scooped up the Af15 6.0.  I think who ever won it is VERY happy with the price.

Imagine if Darren Adams (Pristine) did one of his videos hawking a set of high grade Pence copies.  Talking about the rarity and legitimacy of these variants.  Telling the story that we are debating here about pence copies being printed at the same time with the same inks and paper.  He's a master marketer.  I'd like to see it (Of course, I have skin in the game so I am biased).

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

I think we are in the calm before the storm with regards to Pence copies.  Why else would Pristine comics now be running ads in the OSG for Pence copies? Has any comic dealer EVER run ads in OSG searching for pence copies?  I wonder if they are the ones who scooped up the Af15 6.0.  I think who ever won it is VERY happy with the price.

Imagine if Darren Adams (Pristine) did one of his videos hawking a set of high grade Pence copies.  Talking about the rarity and legitimacy of these variants.  Telling the story that we are debating here about pence copies being printed at the same time with the same inks and paper.  He's a master marketer.  I'd like to see it (Of course, I have skin in the game so I am biased).

That would be this skin I take it @gadzukes ?: :headbang:

P1050720.JPG

The more we learn about them, the more they'll eventually catch on.  And the more I'll wish I bought them all up when I had the chance!

7 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I think if your a variant guy, the pence should be the KING of variants! It checks every box.  I only own 1 and will buy  more.  I do own many 35 centers and other variants and just recently realized I had been asleep on the pence copies. everyone has been sleeping on these, in my opinion.

Edited by paul747

2 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

That would be this skin I take it @gadzukes ?: :headbang:

The more we learn about them, the more they'll eventually catch on.  And the more I'll wish I bought them all up when I had the chance!

That's the one.  And like others have said about pence copies and chipping...... mine doesn't have a hint of Marvel Chipping.  The color strike is amazing too.

25 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

That's the one.  And like others have said about pence copies and chipping...... mine doesn't have a hint of Marvel Chipping.  The color strike is amazing too.

I hate you :grin:

4 hours ago, gadzukes said:

............ The color is Amazing too......

What I am most curious about is how often the ink trays have to be recharged in a print run of (IF) 100,000? I have seen enough copies of AF15 to note subtle changes in the color tone and I have to wonder how that fresh ink Adheres ( or doesn't ) to the paper. Perhaps it's not entirely the blade but also the ink? 

I continue to think that chipping vs non chipping should receive entirely different grade status, both clearly exist. One looks better. Duh... Why is this so hard?

3 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

I continue to think that chipping vs non chipping should receive entirely different grade status, both clearly exist. One looks better. Duh... Why is this so hard?

Here's something to chew on.... 

CGC treats their grading for Marvel chipped comics as if the chipping wasn't there, because the chipping is a "manufacturing defect".

However, CGC treats the 60s DC comics (where the staples blew thru the cover) different.  You know what I'm talking about, right.... example: you find a gorgeous Atom #1, it looks to be about a 9.4, and then when you open the cover you see that the bottom staple has blown thru the cover and the 1st 2 wraps (I use this example because it happened to me).  I have since found that this is a common problem with silver DC.  The DC silver age staple problem is a manufacturing defect, but CGC gives those comics a Green Qualified label.   

I'm not saying I want the Marvel chipped comics to get a Green label, but I don't think the DC staple problem comics should be treated any differently than the Marvel chipping problem..... both manufacturing defects.  

Edited by gadzukes