• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,479 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

How can you tell?

I'm guessing.  The signature is covering the most common area where people defaced the cover by filling the eyes or dotting the eyes.  The Stan signature seems to stop after the "a" then re-start & the fact that there is no hint of white from Spidey's eyes poking out through the signature seems unusual.  

If it was anyone else I’d say “Maybe,” but given the assembly line speed of Stan signings, coupled with the act that it’s relatively recent (neatness has been getting worse as he ages) my guess is that it was handed over without a window bag. Stan signs like a machine; he doesn’t ponder placement. Getting him to sign with enough attention to detail to cover a defect would probably set you back a few extra hundred samolians, if he's even able to do it.

1 hour ago, jstacko said:

Just realized I never posted this here (only on FB). Picked this up a few months ago - its a low grade purple, but still an AF15. Holding it for the first time was the highlight of my collecting years.

Even a 1.5 with resto is a nice comic to have when you're talking about AF15.  Congrats

Agree.  Nothing has even come close to getting that first (only) AF.  

I like to think that I’ve built a pretty nice collection over the years, but none of my books gives me as much joy as my Low grade AF.  

Congrats!  I know how you feel.

3 hours ago, Pontoon said:

If it was anyone else I’d say “Maybe,” but given the assembly line speed of Stan signings, coupled with the act that it’s relatively recent (neatness has been getting worse as he ages) my guess is that it was handed over without a window bag. Stan signs like a machine; he doesn’t ponder placement. Getting him to sign with enough attention to detail to cover a defect would probably set you back a few extra hundred samolians, if he's even able to do it.

I kinda like Bababooeys theory.  It makes a little bit of sense.  But, even if that’s the case, the sig over Spidey’s face ruins that book.

Your explanation is more than likely correct though.

16 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Wrecked.  That comic is wrecked.

I don't mind a stan sig, but it's gotta be placed in an appropriate place.  I like splash pages.  If it's gonna be on the front cover then under spidey's swinging arm (with a brand new sharpie, NOT with a sharpie that's signed 10,000 other copies so the head is worn down).

Seriously, that comic just lost 20% of it's value.

Heck I would not even buy for 20% of it's total value.

5 hours ago, bababooey said:

Probably a deliberate sig placement to obscure the fact that Spidey's eyes were colored in by some kid.  

Maybe the kid turned into a adult that wanted to relive his youth so he decided to stain Spidey's face once more and when he will reach old age maybe he will just pen mark the entire front cover. Maybe he has Spidey issues!!

Edited by SC22

1 hour ago, SC22 said:

ComicLink:

CGC 7.5 sold for 130 000$

CGC 5.5 (beet up top right corner) sold for 39 111$.

in spite of the down market for mid lower grade copies, still a shockingly low price for a nice 5.5. this market has changed in a hurry. and what an enormous spread between 5.5 and 7.5.

8 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

in spite of the down market for mid lower grade copies, still a shockingly low price for a nice 5.5. this market has changed in a hurry. and what an enormous spread between 5.5 and 7.5.

7.5's seem to be in the 130k to 140k range at least the last 2 sales.

Edited by SC22

I was 10K too high in my estimate on the 5.5 ( I had thought high 40's) but it's clear the market is quite spooked by the last three reported sales on that book. Even the 4.0 went for 36K this last summer. It would appear that cream continues to rise to the top in 7.0+ bringing a nice enough market price. 

If supply doesn't dry up, it's a dangerous time to auction a mid grade book. Having not watched the latter parts of the auction, did the bidding simply quit up to the end the way it has in the last few auctions?

It's also worth pointing out that it has been a year since a 5.0 went for 29K, so, it's still quite the nice boost in price for someone holding on to the book for a while. Not so nice for day traders. 

8 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

I was 10K too high in my estimate on the 5.5 ( I had thought high 40's) but it's clear the market is quite spooked by the last three reported sales on that book. Even the 4.0 went for 36K this last summer. It would appear that cream continues to rise to the top in 7.0+ bringing a nice enough market price. 

If supply doesn't dry up, it's a dangerous time to auction a mid grade book. Having not watched the latter parts of the auction, did the bidding simply quit up to the end the way it has in the last few auctions?

It's also worth pointing out that it has been a year since a 5.0 went for 29K, so, it's still quite the nice boost in price for someone holding on to the book for a while. Not so nice for day traders. 

Yes, 7.0s and above will do fine moving forward ;)