• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, zhamlau said:

You know, 39k for a 5.5 with no chipping seems like a steal to me. It had meh eye appeal yeah, but still it was a solid copy. That might have been a mistake to let that go.

i agree totally with this, if i had 40k lying around i certainly would have bid on it. it's hard to believe this wont be a 50-60k book within a few years, at most. 

20 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

You might go back, look and count. Initially I mentioned the price and have refrained from doing it up until a little bit ago. I did indicate multiple times that it went at a nice price for good reason, trying to make a point. Anyone who went to Bob's Board would see the prices Bob has been getting, without auctions and naming the price. 

My point was and has been that auctions are a risky way of putting an AF15 out there and there's a lot of evidence to suggest that the risk is very real. I only mentioned the actual price a second time to point out that two 5.0's have sold at that price which anyone can see looking at Strong's site. The Metropolitan comic went for more at 57K  but was a higher grade and the 4.0 went for 35K as I understand it. You can look at Highgrade comics for other prices. Those price boosts were real but have not been sustained supporting  only four sales I believe but it seems to have prompted a rush to market which fell flat this fall . By the time one factors in the premiums for buyers and sellers, it's not particularly attractive.  That's my point about auction and prices and profits while declining to view this as a hobby. 

I regret having irritated as many people as I seem to have irritated. I'm not trying to show off, I'm looking at results. Right now, things are

cooled way off

despite a lot of hopes. When I asked if this was experienced across the boards on the top fifty books, I was serious. Is it just AF15 or is it more widespread? If it's just the AF15 then the earlier posts about receding prices seem legitimate. Maybe they're market wide, I simply don't know.

What I do know is how my posts have been received here. I'm not a dealer, I don't do auctions. I sold my collection . I certainly got lucky. Given that and given the reception to any of my observations, I'll take my leave. I think the people who have helped me understand what I currently think I understand I do thank. I enjoyed collection over those five decades but this is not really offering up any value at this point.   This sure doesn't seem like a fuzzy warm hobby to me. 

A little razz and you go running with your 50,000 grand? Toughen up Glassman:jokealert:!  Your book sold at a  frenzied sale period, FOMO was rampid !  Many people have tried to explain the ups and downs and difference between books, People with a lot of market savvy and experience. You sold at the right time:golfclap:, but as stated the market fluctuates often.

:news: As stated on several occasions 7.0 and higher will remain in the upper air.  Other key books are on totally different paths and fluctuate according to their situations. This market is still very healthy, just because mid/low grade AF 15's are taking a little breather does not mean that this is a crashing market.  I see a lot of people dumping run/cover golden age books to pay for higher grade true key books .  Who knows, we can always ask Gator or Roy ! I think there will always be different books cooling while others heat up , it always has been like like that.:foryou:

Time for Amazing Spider-man #1 and some of the other great SA Keys to catch up a little. (I think they are undervalued in comparison to AF 15 prices)

Edited by paul747

Every SA key book seems way undervalued compared to AF 15. Yes there either seems a lot of catching up to do with those keys or AF 15 just exploded up in price way too fast. I truly believe it's the latter. 

Most of us who have been dealing with comics for years and study trends already know that the market will always have a pull back in price when the value of a book just astronomically goes up. Everyone here has been told it will happen and certainly it did.

There are of course those who were in denial and only think it can only go up from there. To each his own.

10 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Every SA key book seems way undervalued compared to AF 15. Yes there either seems a lot of catching up to do with those keys or AF 15 just exploded up in price way too fast. I truly believe it's the latter. 

Most of us who have been dealing with comics for years and study trends already know that the market will always have a pull back in price when the value of a book just astronomically goes up. Everyone here has been told it will happen and certainly it did.

There are of course those who were in denial and only think it can only go up from there. To each his own.

Even if the increase in the end is 50% to 75% in each grade that is still very good for a 2 year period.

Edited by SC22

5 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

It's not like all the people who want the book have had raises that match the book's growth.

I think at this point it seems like the price only went up 50-65% in 2 years, not 75-80% like it appeared to have a few months ago. Of course seasonal price cycles play a noticeable part but overall that appears to be the best way to describe the last 24 months. The floor got raised substantially, but the ceiling has started to come back down more in line. It might be fair to say the market has decided "it looks good in a slab to a non-collector" is the standard by which books and their prices will be judged. More seasoned collectors will appreciate PQ because of what it means about overall condition and lifespan of the book. Marvel Chipping has finally become more of an issue that it had been before (or at least more acknowledged than it had been previously),  Large chunks out of your book can almost invalidate the numeric grade the grading company gives it in the buyers eyes. If its looks right, folks bid. If it looks rough, they dont.

SPECULATION TIME: I would imagine by summer 2018 the price averages should be as such (assuming no catastrophic global depression, MC/PQ issues moving a little higher or lower depending)

1.0 = 8,000

2.0 = 13,000

3.0 = 19,000

4.0 = 25,000

5.0 = 42,000

6.0 = 53,000

7.0 = 100,000

8.0 = 140,000

8.5 and above who knows, speculative since so uncommon.

16 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This thread has suddenly got quiet. I guess the party is over. 22K for the 4.0 CC copy with Marvel chipping.

this thread has pretty much been the same couple of folks arguing back and forth. it doesnt really encourage thoughtful commentary about the current or prospective future state of the market for this king of silver keys. and yeah, the big drop has been a big disappointment too. but lets keep arguing about chipping.

10 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this thread has pretty much been the same couple of folks arguing back and forth. it doesnt really encourage thoughtful commentary about the current or prospective future state of the market for this king of silver keys. and yeah, the big drop has been a big disappointment too. but lets keep arguing about chipping.

I agree. This thread has little insight or value anymore. Nothing but the rah rah crowd who get quiet when the prices are no longer setting records.

35 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

I don't view it the same way regarding "the big price drop" as a big disappointment.

If you bought a higher grade AF 12+ months ago you are still doing very well.  CL sold a 7.5 for $87K in March.  They just sold another in November for $130K - not too shabby of a "return" if you have owned a 7.5 for before March 2017.

If you bought one in summer 2017 at the peak, then you will probably have to wait a bit for the price to get back to where it was.

For whatever reasons the book exploded, the growth (to me anyways) was not sustainable in the short term. Long term I am still bullish on it.