• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Get a grip people. The sky is not falling. AF15s fluctuate in price just like orange juice and blue chip stocks.

Many collectors and investors follow these threads with open minds. Let's not confuse them.

I’m sitting next to some Grips. I’ll ask one. Ok, just did. His answer: “What is that?” 

20 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Get a grip people. The sky is not falling. AF15s fluctuate in price just like orange juice and blue chip stocks.

Many collectors and investors follow these threads with open minds. Let's not confuse them.

Agreed, but now is not the time to be overpaying for low to mid grade copies. I actually think ASM #1 is getting more attention lately.

37 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Bingo!!

7 hours ago, peewee22 said:

I believe in the book.  It’s done really well for me since joining the boards in 2009.  Of course if I don’t own it, I would want to start a campaign to have the perception that it’s priced too high so that I could buy myself for a good price.  Since lots of outside people read these boards

Has anyone ever done a price analysis of certain key books and the relative sale values at different times of the same year? Id love to see if there truly is a price dip as its always seemed from October to January on identical material.

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

Has anyone ever done a price analysis of certain key books and the relative sale values at different times of the same year? Id love to see if there truly is a price dip as its always seemed from October to January on identical material.

I am not sure if the sample size on any particular book is large enough ... but imagine if someone created a "market basket" of representative books that share some common quality (e.g. "blue-chip Silver Age") and created a sort of index for tracking their value.  Tons of work just to assemble the data, but it would be a fascinating way to measure the overall trends in the market over time as well as the seasonal fluctuations we all suspect may exist.

On 12/11/2017 at 6:03 PM, peewee22 said:

Actually, I think many are turned off by the solely financial aspects of this thread and have turned away from checking in anymore.  Not sure if many of you realize it but there is a lot of gloating going on here. It's no longer a fun thread to read. 

8 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Actually, I think many are turned off by the solely financial aspects of this thread and have turned away from checking in anymore.  Not sure if many of you realize it but there is a lot of gloating going on here. It's no longer a fun thread to read. 

Also a lot of hand-wringing about every minute market fluctuation ... but that's the speculator's mindset.  Buy a book you love, for the long haul, and there's a lot less reason to obsess about the latest sale.

The fact that most of the voices obsessing on price want the prices to keep rising tells me this has become a thread primarily for people already invested in this book.  Otherwise, if it were more about people wanting to own a copy, perhaps there would be at least some amount of cheering at any sign the book might become more affordable.

Also I think price obsession is probably the nature of the beast when a thread is focused on a single key issue.  The threads about an entire title (such as the Spider-Man collecting thread) are a lot more fun because there are so many books to choose from and therefore the conversation can go in a lot more directions.  Pretty much all of the single-key threads are hyper-focused on the commercial aspects -- market value debates and discussion of specific copies as they become available for sale or auction.  The difference with the AF 15 thread is that AF 15 is something of a bellwether for the broader Silver Age market, and so this thread becomes a place to debate macro trends and predictions for the overall market.

But coming back to your point, this is definitely a less fun thread than others on these boards, mostly because there's a fair amount of bickering.

Exactly, when the book is rapidly rising in price, the cheerleaders cheer. When it's not, they have nothing to talk about.

This thread has been around for 4 years (as of January 14 of 2018) and has 9,341 posts. In March of last year, those few eye-popping mid-grade sales blew up the price. More than half the posts in this thread occurred between March and November of this year, then the disappointing results of the Heritage flood of AF 15s happened...and here we are. It's a great book that has become a commodity, but still remains THE grail book for many.

38 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Spidey has always been my favorite hero and nothing can describe the feeling that I had 25 years ago when I got my 1st AF. I have owned other copies since but nothing has  replicated that feeling of finally owning one.

Now this is a good, heartfelt comment. This is the kind of post this thread needs. More personal stories, new additions, even alerts and comments about to new available copies would make this thread desirable again. I don't mean to be rude but if some individuals just chilled a while and stop gloating on how much their books gained in value it would be appreciated by many.  It's interesting that some ran Glassman off the thread, scolded him for his constant reminder of how much he sold his book for, yet he's not the only one guilty of bragging. SO you have 13 copies of AF 15 in 7.0 and have become a multi millionaire. Great, tell us the story but once is enough. 

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Now this is a good, heartfelt comment. This is the kind of post this thread needs. More personal stories, new additions, even alerts and comments about to new available copies would make this thread desirable again. I don't mean to be rude but if some individuals just chilled a while and stop gloating on how much their books gained in value it would be appreciated by many.  It's interesting that some ran Glassman off the thread, scolded him for his constant reminder of how much he sold his book for, yet he's not the only one guilty of bragging. SO you have 13 copies of AF 15 in 7.0 and have become a multi millionaire. Great, tell us the story but once is enough. 

Hope you not referring to me.  I will say that I will be forever grateful for you pointing me to my 1st 7.0, still have it.  Not gonna gloat or cheer anymore on the price wise of the book.  I can say no matter the grade of the book, owning any af15 in any grade is an exciting feeling.