• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

Is it me or this site filled with people that have bags of extra cash??? Lots love to brag a lot too. Don't think I'll be hanging out here very long

A brag about my wife as much as possible. She's a red head. In fact she is The Red Head. 

2 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Is it me or this site filled with people that have bags of extra cash??? Lots love to brag a lot too. Don't think I'll be hanging out here very long

I've found this site to be a great place to meet lots of different people with completely different interests and approaches to the hobby.  Obviously if you hang around threads like this one, you will encounter people who have the means to afford some of the most expensive and highly sought after books in the hobby.  But if you look elsewhere you will find folks talking about how much enjoyment they're getting out of much more affordable modern books, or beat-up reader copies of the classic material, or even reprints and online comics.  And by the way, lots of those people are the same people.

Yes, it's true that some people flock to the expensive end of the hobby with more of a speculator's mentality, but I think it's a small handful who don't have a real love of the comics, the characters, and the creators as the foundation of whatever they choose to do in pursuit of their hobby.

Stick around and I think you'll find a lot of really great people here.  Whether or not some of them have "bags of extra cash" is really beside the point -- everyone seems to treat each other (and each other's collections) with a lot of respect, as far as I've seen.

10 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

Thanks. Hey Dark Knight you know how to play in sand box and get along with others yet ?

Who's bragging? I'm a grown-up with a career that works 16 - 18 hour days for the last 30 years who's made some wise decisions and some really spectacularly bad ones and somehow ended up with some money to spend on comics. Is that bad? I don't have children as I don't like them. That helps in the "extra bags of cash department." So, if you learn anything around here it's "don't have kids."

22 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Who's bragging? I'm a grown-up with a career that works 16 - 18 hour days for the last 30 years who's made some wise decisions and some really spectacularly bad ones and somehow ended up with some money to spend on comics. Is that bad? I don't have children as I don't like them. That helps in the "extra bags of cash department." So, if you learn anything around here it's "don't have kids."

I have two kids that are grown now so my early collecting was somewhat more moderate for the simple fact that the needs of my family of course came first. Comic books were and are a "hobby" for me and as @sweetlou14 stated I collected and enjoyed what I could afford. Now I can afford to upgrade some books and some bigger books will probably always be out of my reach financially but I don't begrudge someone who can. That's life, and in the end I just own them for a time. 

5 minutes ago, Foley said:

This reminded me to check under my couch cushions...

cash.jpg.28e38285d48d4c5f1a30ace671788643.jpg

:banana:

Great find Ryan! There's nearly enough there to buy an AF15's staples now :D

On 1/1/2018 at 4:06 PM, Subby1938 said:

Thanks. Hey Dark Knight you know how to play in sand box and get along with others yet ?

Hello Subby and welcome to the boards.  I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic with your previous post or were serious, but you said it yourself when you mentioned how this thread is filled with people loaded with cash and who loves to brag, I would check off on both scenarios on that.  Yes, there is a lot of members here who have a lot of disposable income to spend on high end books and yes some will brag about their buys and some will not.  It's a mix bag of different personalities in this chat board.  Everyone is unique and share their own experiences, mistakes, opinions, facts, arguments, etc.  so long as everyone here respects each other, it doesn't matter if one owns the highest graded AF 15 or if one cannot afford to buy one, it's all gravy.  I enjoy seeing other members collection or single books when they post on this thread, like any other thread.  Sure, i get jealous about the kinds of books they own, and always dream of owning such a book, but I give em a thumbs up for sharing and a pat on the back for having a nice book.   So, if you can't take all that in than I'm sorry but you're not going to enjoy reading what we post.

To answer your question above, yes I get along with practically everyone on here.  Met some wonderful board members in person during my years being a member and would love to meet more and share our same love and interest in this hobby.  

Btw, nice AF 15 and ASM 1 you posted recently (thumbsu

Thanks I appreciate it. I'll take things a little lighter as I'm not on solid ground yet on how this particlaur forum works. I'm a member on statueforum.com that site is virtual ghost town most of the time . I get along with everyone or I try to anyways I joined this site to learn more  and share my collection of books with others. I can relate to more collectors here than other forums.

2 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Thanks I appreciate it. I'll take things a little lighter as I'm not on solid ground yet on how this particlaur forum works. I'm a member on statueforum.com that site is virtual ghost town most of the time . I get along with everyone or I try to anyways I joined this site to learn more  and share my collection of books with others. I can relate to more collectors here than other forums.

Welcome to the boards Subby. If you're into statues you should check out this youtube channel from our very own @nearmint

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUiXHQv0oyHeyhtIA56NEYg

There's great stuff on there ranging from statues to movie reviews and comics. I'm personally not a statue collector, but I really enjoy checking them out. (thumbsu

7 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Thanks I appreciate it. I'll take things a little lighter as I'm not on solid ground yet on how this particlaur forum works. I'm a member on statueforum.com that site is virtual ghost town most of the time . I get along with everyone or I try to anyways  I joined this site to learn more  and share my collection of books with others. I can relate to more collectors here than other forums.

Subby, you will learn SO much on this site.  I know I have.  We will love to see your collection.

This particular thread brings out the whole spectrum of collectors.  Yes there is bragging and plenty of sarcasm, some occasional arguing, but there is also a ton of support and encouragement.  Even the lowest graded AF15 is welcome here and will be praised or congratulated.

One year ago today, my son and I brought my collection out of the closet after fifty years in boxes. One year ago, I thought I might sell my AF 15 for 3K. That changed and was a blessing.

Today, I cashed the check for the sale of the Af15 through a dealer. I spent the bulk of today plowing out to the field where we bring in the firewood for the year to get wood for a neighbor short on supply for heat.

When I sold the AF 15 I asked the dealer who sold it to me to send a bunch of Dr Strange since I had paid far too little attention to it when I got books from the newsstand in the '60's. That happened.  I'm enjoying the Dr Strange even though the bulk of my collection is now gone. It's actually nice to now have books with relatively low value. It's great art, and dumb stories. While I miss my bigger collection in ways, it's actually nice to just have books that are dumb, not slabbed and not particularly valuable.  I read my POGO books as much as I do the Dr Strange. There's lots of ways to make money. 

24 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

One year ago today, my son and I brought my collection out of the closet after fifty years in boxes. One year ago, I thought I might sell my AF 15 for 3K. That changed and was a blessing.

Today, I cashed the check for the sale of the Af15 through a dealer. I spent the bulk of today plowing out to the field where we bring in the firewood for the year to get wood for a neighbor short on supply for heat.

When I sold the AF 15 I asked the dealer who sold it to me to send a bunch of Dr Strange since I had paid far too little attention to it when I got books from the newsstand in the '60's. That happened.  I'm enjoying the Dr Strange even though the bulk of my collection is now gone. It's actually nice to now have books with relatively low value. It's great art, and dumb stories. While I miss my bigger collection in ways, it's actually nice to just have books that are dumb, not slabbed and not particularly valuable.  I read my POGO books as much as I do the Dr Strange. There's lots of ways to make money. 

Did you snap a photo of the AF15 before you sold it?  We'd love to see it.  Did you ever consider selling it here on the boards?  You would probably have made a lot more money here as dealers need to consider their overhead and profit margin.

Edited by gadzukes

If you went to the general discussion board and dug up a thread  almost exactly a year old called "I need some advice", I think that "Ihaveneatstuff"posted a shot of the book before it was cleaned and pressed and slabbed.My son took pictures of every interior page.  I am loath to discuss the final sale at this point but if you went back through this thread, you'd find it. You could infer the price of the book on Highgradecomics website. It was a 5.0 .I took a long time to decide how to market the book and it was worth the wait. I am of an age now where keeping the book any longer simply didn't make sense. I had it for fifty years. I did keep my JIM and Thor's. None are slabbed. 

Something I am curious about is if anyone knows who owns the original artwork for the AF15 cover.