• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2018 at 6:50 AM, NoMan said:
On 2/12/2018 at 6:03 AM, Subby1938 said:

Lower sales for a book that honestly isn't rare but still broke 200K? This is a monster SA key always will be. Plenty of collectors watching this as new interest from all over the world is coming into this market. Personally if I had extra cash I'd buy extra copies 2-3.0 range books because the  little blue collar collector will alaways chase these in hopes of getting his/her Grail. 

Have you gone back and read SC22's posts? Your resemblance to him is uncanny. 

Subby's grammar and spelling is world's apart (better).

On 2/12/2018 at 9:39 AM, NoMan said:
On 2/12/2018 at 9:24 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

"little blue collar collector" ?

What a dumb thing to say or think.

you know I quoted the same thing and then erased it cause I just didn't want to get into it this morning. Good for you, Sweet Lou.

You guys are overthinking it and IMO over reacting.

Many people don't type the way they speak. I generally give people online a little benefit of the doubt to people because of this.

On 2/14/2018 at 12:44 AM, Kevin76 said:

I think people look at past sales and say "I'm not paying that" then another pops up again "I"m not paying that and so on and so on, Idk why people are reselling these super high end books so close to what the previous one sold, Looking for a quick flip?  Some quick profit?  Books like this and many others, are really a long term investment. I don't plan on moving my AF 15 until about 30 years from now.  

Prehistoric cave men traded circular stones for bearskins.

Romans sold figs & fine wine for gold coinage.

CGC board members sell vintage comics for currency (money).

Edited by peewee22

On 2/13/2018 at 12:05 PM, G.A.tor said:

Just playing devils advocate, but if the pic is posted on Instagram , that’s where anyone can get

on a side note, why does it bother you if some mistake you for someone else? I’m mistaken all the time, never ruffled my feathers (honestly curious)

Some people are just more sensitive than others (I am one of those people).

Not everyone can be a GAtor with a thick hide.

On 2/13/2018 at 10:35 PM, Dark Knight said:

I guess all he cares about is the monetary value and not the love for the hobby

He has already admitted that many times.

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You guys are overthinking it and IMO over reacting.

Many people don't type the way they speak. I generally give people online a little benefit of the doubt to people because of this.

I didn't react.  I asked a question.

I think it's fair to ask what somebody meant by a phrase that could be interpreted several ways.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

10 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Some people are just more sensitive than others (I am one of those people).

Not everyone can be a GAtor with a thick hide.

There's always trouble when this guy posts.  :grin:

12 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I didn't react.  I asked a question.

I think it's fair to ask what somebody meant by a phrase that could be interpreted several ways.

Fair point.

But people tend to get their backs up. For example, Subby's identity has already been questioned multiple times over the last few weeks.

For someone who is already being hazed for a few things, additional questions are just going to seen as more hazing.

For what it's worth, I do NOT think Subby is SC22.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

Fair point.

But people tend to get their backs up. For example, Subby's identity has already been questioned multiple times over the last few weeks.

For someone who is already being hazed for a few things, additional questions are just going to seen as more hazing.

For what it's worth, I do NOT think Subby is SC22.

I had been familiar with SC22's posts, and his consistent perspective ... but hadn't noticed that he'd gone quiet and absolutely never had a full appreciation of how many other posters had a problem with him.  I don't care one way or the other if Subby is the same guy.  I take him at his word that he isn't, and (assuming he isn't) I think it's understandable why he would feel enough is enough with the hazing.

I asked about that phrase because this specific thread is often criticized in other threads for being "exactly what's wrong with the hobby" (not my words, I'm paraphrasing) by people who are trying to focus on other things besides the most expensive book there is outside the Golden Age.  In that context, I think those of us fortunate enough to be able to afford a book like this -- in any grade -- should work extra hard to foster the mutual respect for other collectors that generally permeates this whole community.

And for what it's worth, though I could have done without the F bomb and all that, I take Subby at his word (again) that he didn't mean anything by "little blue collar collector."  As far as I'm concerned it's a dead issue.

9 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I had been familiar with SC22's posts, and his consistent perspective ... but hadn't noticed that he'd gone quiet and absolutely never had a full appreciation of how many other posters had a problem with him.  I don't care one way or the other if Subby is the same guy.  I take him at his word that he isn't, and (assuming he isn't) I think it's understandable why he would feel enough is enough with the hazing.

I asked about that phrase because this specific thread is often criticized in other threads for being "exactly what's wrong with the hobby" (not my words, I'm paraphrasing) by people who are trying to focus on other things besides the most expensive book there is outside the Golden Age.  In that context, I think those of us fortunate enough to be able to afford a book like this -- in any grade -- should work extra hard to foster the mutual respect for other collectors that generally permeates this whole community.

And for what it's worth, though I could have done without the F bomb and all that, I take Subby at his word (again) that he didn't mean anything by "little blue collar collector."  As far as I'm concerned it's a dead issue.

Foster the respect of other collectors?

Being one of the most popular (if not the most popular) threads is going to have an abnormal amount & type of posters, both pro and con. This thread is a melting pot of all creeds.  

I think we do a great job of fostering and respecting others. Controversy? Sure, all threads have it.

Long live the AF15 thread. (thumbsu

3 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Foster the respect of other collectors?

Being one of the most popular (if not the most popular) threads is going to have an abnormal amount & type of posters, both pro and con. This thread is a melting pot of all creeds.  

I think we do a great job of fostering and respecting others. Controversy? Sure, all threads have it.

Long live the AF15 thread. (thumbsu

I don't disagree with a single thing you've said.  This whole board is great and this thread is no exception.

On 13/2/2018 at 9:06 PM, fishbone said:

Wowzers, I spend a weekend away from Silver Age and the F-bombs start flying.......AF15 sure do gets them emotions goin some don't it

(shout out to Barrie anyway, just white-knuckled it past there to Rama yesterday in freezing rain, not fun)

AF15 dips a little and the go sour. Hmm ....

Af15 will always remain my PITS (pie in the sky). But I am also a little blue collar collector.

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Anyone notice the ComicLink 9.0 is at 390K after just a day of bidding ...

I'm not sure to what degree the final winning bid is correlated to the bid amount two weeks out.  When it comes down to it, all the real action will happen in the final minutes if not seconds.

You would think that every bidder with a serious intent to win has no incentive to show their cards that they have strong interest this early.  So if you'd like to put on your conspiracy theory hats, you could argue that the only reason to pump up the bidding at this stage is precisely to make people believe they'll need to be very aggressive to win.  In other words, people with a copy of AF #15 who want to see values increase again, and who look at this 9.0 as being capable of dragging along their lower-grade copies to the promised land, are the folks with a real incentive to create some buzz and hype.

According to the theory, that is.

5 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm not sure to what degree the final winning bid is correlated to the bid amount two weeks out.  When it comes down to it, all the real action will happen in the final minutes if not seconds.

You would think that every bidder with a serious intent to win has no incentive to show their cards that they have strong interest this early.  So if you'd like to put on your conspiracy theory hats, you could argue that the only reason to pump up the bidding at this stage is precisely to make people believe they'll need to be very aggressive to win.  In other words, people with a copy of AF #15 who want to see values increase again, and who look at this 9.0 as being capable of dragging along their lower-grade copies to the promised land, are the folks with a real incentive to create some buzz and hype.

According to the theory, that is.

GK is just making us aware of the book and current bid. To me, it means at LEAST someone will have to pay 400k to win the book regardless of the remaining auction days. (thumbsu