• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

On 3/21/2018 at 2:03 PM, drbanner said:

When 5.0's sell again for $55K (glassman should've auctioned his copy!), and 4.0's sell again for $35K, and 3.5's sell again for $26.5K (yes, that 4.5 just sold for less than a 3.5 did last November), we'll see the supply increase. (thumbsu

Ah Well, still taking it in the chops over that sale. I'd say this. Bob Storms seemed to know who he would sell it to. The list was higher than the banter lists right now. In Dec 2016 AF15 was bringing about 27K in a 5.0, perhaps less . I was offered that for my entire collection at the time and turned it down flat. There were 950 books all off the spinners.

The real key is knowing someone who has a lot of money they can park  and doesn't really care about the price differentials. But they do have to be able to park the money.  So Bob certainly knew more than me to his credit. If you look in his notable sales, you'll see two 5.0's sold at the same price early last fall.  If mine  had gone to auction I think it would have been around 30K in aug 2017. He also had another 5.0 which went at the same price as mine did and recently a 5.5 for 52K. There was also a recent 6.0 for 67K so calling them outliers seems wishful to me. Calling Bob  a man who knows where to offer the book would do better.  He certainly earns his milk and cookies. 

And that's why I would not do an auction. It's a cattle call or dogs sniffing each other, something like that. The auction houses have their own internal self interests. The difficulty of getting a book 8.0 and higher are probably worth auctioning since they actually are rare. The mid grades? Not really  rare. Low grades are something that allow you in the game. Besides the cover, It's still terrible artwork. 

My two cents. 

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 5:29 PM, Subby1938 said:

In 2008 I could have bought blue label cgc 4.0 AF15 for 4K Canadian at my local shop . Let’s see where this book is in 2024 lmao. I bet GPA won’t f’in matter because this will continue to climb. 

and 2.5's and 3's for 3K and 3.6K respectively !!   :whee:

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:54 PM, Dark Knight said:

I guess we have been accustomed to always seeing high and even higher sales from the last one in that grade everytime an AF 15 is up for sale.   But the reality of it all is that AF 15 is still doing very well.  2-3 years ago, a copy would sell for a lot cheaper than what it is now, even with this pullback in prices.  Just because 2 years ago the book just was like a hot potato selling for record prices doesn't mean it is a major slump now.   It's still performing well.

There will always be supply for AF 15 unless you get up into the higher grades where it gets rare.  But anywhere from 0.5-7.0 we can most likely see a copy or two up for sale every year.

But anywhere from 0.5-7.0 we can most likely see a copy or two up for sale every year. 

---  I think you mean every week.

14 minutes ago, fishbone said:

But anywhere from 0.5-7.0 we can most likely see a copy or two up for sale every year. 

Yeah, no lie. There was a sale a day ago of a 7.0 on CL or CC nobody even mentioned. I think it went for 107k. There is another 7.0 (again, either CL or CC) that ends in a couple of hours that no one has even mentioned. I don't think it's broke 100k yet.

There are so many AF15 sales, it's hard to keep track

Edit - Ok, it does look like one of these 7.0s was mentioned earlier. But seriously, there are so many AF15 sales it's hard to keep order unless you're really, really paying attention. Lots and lots of AF15s. It's cool. Just sayen'

another edit - no, nobody mentioned the recent 7.0 sales am talking about

Edited by NoMan

44 minutes ago, fishbone said:

Yep every week!! So if say you didn't happen to win your bid for a copy, just be patient as there will be another one for sale soon.

19 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

That copy was owned by David Arnold.

17 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

The climb will continue I’m sorry folks this was an undervalued monster in the comic world. 

How can the most expensive Silver Age comic of the last decade be considered undervalued?

38 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

How can the most expensive Silver Age comic of the last decade be considered undervalued?

It strikes me that what it really is, is seeking its value. I think that's in flux since there are a lot of new people entering the buying market who don't have a great sense of perspective as to value, or for that matter rarity. We really have a bunch of books that bring higher end prices based in movie releases and sudden surges. I think those will settle away.

What is clear to me is that this particular book combines desirability and the potential of ownership that many books just don't have. I mean, if you wanted an Action #1, you can't do that easily , but with AF15, not only can you do that but pick your price range!

I think the only time this book will settle is when the ranges are pretty much bought up and the estimates for how many wild copies exist make that into some wild assed guessing range. I know that isn't true with the Action 1.  I've seen people suggest that up to 10,000 copies of the AF15 exist outside of either CDC or GPA. That's a lot of dilution to have to consider if you look at the current census. You can see why governments fight counterfeiting. Try to imagine what would happen to this market if even five hundred 8.0's hit the market.  This is still supply and demand and the irrational buyers issue  called "Market, or buyers  fever."  unless someone puts a bomb in the marketplace called availability. If I had five hundred 8.0's I 'd sure let them out incredibly slowly and actually, I do believe there are a lot out there, maybe not 8.0 but not bad at all. . 

I'm glad I'm out of it particularly given the ongoing insults from the choir. Now, all I have to do is to deal with the uncertainty of the stock market. What could possibly go wrong?.

I did get these Doctor Strange's from Bob after the sale. Jeez those are a disappointment.  My problem is I love the story lines and the art. That's not an investment strategy.  Back to Thor..

Edited by Glassman10

31 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

7 years ago which is not that long ago low grades were peanuts that’s what I mean by undervalued .

???

I don't think the word undervalued means what you think it does. lol

5 hours ago, NoMan said:

Prices are coming down

One or two data points do not a trend make.

I wish people didn't look at one or two sales and make a prediction. It just adds to the volatility of the markets.

5 hours ago, NoMan said:

the 7.0 on CL just sold for 101K

That is a low price compared to past results but could just be auction fatigue. Or not.

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I wish people didn't look at one or two sales and make a prediction. It just adds to the volatility of the markets.

If anybody here is looking to me for advice about buying an AF15 or not, if it’s good investment or not, that person has serious problems, probably much larger than comics

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:

+1 if one is in the market for one then its best to drum up a downward Trend... 

Edited by Spiderturtle

4 hours ago, drbanner said:

Saw that, and the nice looking 5.5 on Clink sold for under $45K. Looks like prices are coming down.

This should have sold 3-5k more then it did, agreed. Again however its not a stock so anything within 5% of targeted price could just be who showed up this day to bid in the in-between CL auction. There was nothing wrong with that copy. It was a very solid correctly graded presentable Social-Media-Friendly copy of the book.  This was more like 7-10% off high estimates. Does that mean the entire market is coming down though, being off 7% of projected high values?  When you look at GPA (incomplete I know, but not inaccurate just light some data) this would be the third highest price for a book in this grade in ever. If you base it on their trends that 45k seems exactly right, i still think it should be 48k but 45k seems somewhat comparable.

What will be interesting will be to see how this book sells in June/July in convention season.