• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

I’d say because he’s signed thousands of items it’s zero! Once he dies the market will get flooded with his signed stuff from comics to under wear by people tying to cash in . Imo it totally takes away from the books. Only a very very rare signature may alter this opinion of mine say like Marvel comics 1 with bill Everett signature ( hypothetical ) not sure if one exists . That may be super rare combo . 

17 hours ago, 360racer said:

I have a question, I'm looking at a few AF 15 options and wanted a clear understanding. I know with some books that a blue label is better than yellow, however, how much more is a yellow label Stan Lee signature worth on a copy of AF15 compared to a blue label one?

I wouldn’t pay any more for a yellow label, but the market says that I’m in the minority.  

Stan sig is as common as dirt.  

Has anyone ever run a test of potential sharpie bleed-thru after many years?  Could a black sharpie sig on a cover eventually bleed thru to the interior cover?   

18 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Whether it's an AF 15 or not, I have absolutely no idea how to properly assign a value to a 9.6 restored book with a small amount of color touch ... forget about a piece added and a tear seal.  Personally I would be terrified of the risk inherent in such an investment.

Is there any science to this at all?

31 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Whether it's an AF 15 or not, I have absolutely no idea how to properly assign a value to a 9.6 restored book with a small amount of color touch ... forget about a piece added and a tear seal.  Personally I would be terrified of the risk inherent in such an investment.

I'm out. Drove the price to 40K but someone wants it more than I do.

Just now, Gotham Kid said:

I'm out. Drove the price to 40K but someone wants it more than I do.

OK but let's abstract this a bit.

I've personally never purchased a purple-label book, but like most collectors I've found myself in the position of having to sell a book that comes back from CGC with a purple label.  My sample size is very small, but it seemed to me that I was able to get about 1/3 of the price I would have realized if the book had the same grade with a blue label.  Here are two examples of silver/bronze keys I sold off last year:

• Captain America #100, 9.0 WP, Slight (C-1) color touch:  unrestored GPA $600-$700, sold for $225
  • Iron Man #55, 7.0 OW/W, Slight (C-1) color touch:  unrestored GPA $750-800, sold for $225

Now, it would seem ridiculous to extrapolate from these examples and say the purple-label 9.6 AF #15 should get one-third of whatever seven-figure sum a blue-label 9.6 could fetch on today's market.  Right?

Like I said, I have no idea how to price such an item.  You've indicated that $40K (which is probably less than what an unrestored 5.0 would get) is too much in your judgment.  I guess I'm wondering what you would use as a benchmark.

26 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

You've indicated that $40K (which is probably less than what an unrestored 5.0 would get) is too much in your judgment.  I guess I'm wondering what you would use as a benchmark.

40K is the highest I was willing to go, I will not bid higher. Obviously someone feels it is worth more to them and has bid higher. Who knows where the hammer is going to end on this one. If memory serves, I recall a 9.6 (or was it a 9.4 ?) sell for 50K a few years back ( but there was only 1 copy in 9.6 at the time )

Don't expect this AF15 9.6 to be a 100K book. That would represent 6-7% of what I guess a blue label would sell for.

Edited by Gotham Kid

6 hours ago, zhamlau said:

The issue will be is the spine totally split and being held together by tape, or maybe its off the staples. I think that might have turned some folks off.

If the spine is split or cover is removed from staples, CGC would note that on the label, but on this one is just says there is tape.

Edited by Spyder!
spelling

6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

This is an example of a comic that you REALLY need a detailed disclosure of every little thing that was done to it to make an intelligent bid.  Maybe disclosure of the restorer would help.

It's a gorgeous book.  I'm guessing it was gorgeous before the resto too.

5 hours ago, gadzukes said:

This is an example of a comic that you REALLY need a detailed disclosure of every little thing that was done to it to make an intelligent bid.  Maybe disclosure of the restorer would help.

It's a gorgeous book.  I'm guessing it was gorgeous before the resto too.

Book could easily have been 8.0ish pre restoe. But will probably end up selling for max. 5.0 money in that range, due to the intransparency. And bidders being scared sheittless. 

Ive always liked slight (P) books. They are generally really good value for your money. But thats just me. 

Flippers will shy away. Collectors will love it.

Edited by Mr bla bla

18 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Yes, you try and reverse engineer the resto to figure out what it would grade out as unrestored.

Tough to do though, when the book is in the slab.

8 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Flippers will shy away.

No they won't. If there is value in the book educated flippers will bid.