• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

I resubmitted a AF15 7.5 to CGC that I had graded a couple years ago to see if it was a candidate for pressing. They contacted me yesterday to say it had a 50/50 chance for improvement with pressing. I showed the book to Gator at Heroes Con before it was resubmitted and he was right on with his analysis that it had a 50/50 shot at being upgraded. So I'm trying to decide what to do. It's an expensive gamble to take with no payoff if it comes back the same grade. Or, just have it sent back as is and its probably a more valuable 7.5 since it has a shot at being a 8. I'd appreciate some thoughts on this in case I'm missing something. Thanks.

I don't have a picture of it graded, but here is one of it before it was originally submitted.

IMG_1547.JPG

Beautiful book. The upper left corner is the questionable area I think. Is that a crease below the yellow box? Leave it be it looks great already, unless you plan on flipping it soon. :popcorn:

Thank you. Here are the graders notes for it: 

address/date/name stamp right top of back cover
crease left top of back cover
multiple bend spine breaks color
multiple crease right bottom of front cover breaks color
small crease right top of whole book breaks color
small indent left top of front cover
small indent right bottom of back cover
staple rusted top of spine

Its OW and the date stamp on the back is great, really good place and clear.

I don't quite get the "small crease right top of whole book" note. What did CGC mean by whole book? I couldnt see it on the scan. I would think a whole book crease would be fairly large..

It's a superb copy. Without seeing it in hand, I agree that it's a 50/50

1 hour ago, GB said:

I resubmitted a AF15 7.5 to CGC that I had graded a couple years ago to see if it was a candidate for pressing. They contacted me yesterday to say it had a 50/50 chance for improvement with pressing. I showed the book to Gator at Heroes Con before it was resubmitted and he was right on with his analysis that it had a 50/50 shot at being upgraded. So I'm trying to decide what to do. It's an expensive gamble to take with no payoff if it comes back the same grade. Or, just have it sent back as is and its probably a more valuable 7.5 since it has a shot at being a 8. I'd appreciate some thoughts on this in case I'm missing something. Thanks.

I don't have a picture of it graded, but here is one of it before it was originally submitted.

IMG_1547.JPG

keep it as is. (If that's your question if to try your luck or not) Wonderful book as it appears here and now. You also have to factor in the risk of mailing and handling with damages/loss that may occur. Unless it's a drop off in Sarasota. (shrug)

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

I don't quite get the "small crease right top of whole book" note. What did CGC mean by whole book? I couldnt see it on the scan. I would think a whole book crease would be fairly large..

Pretty sure they mean there is a small corner crease that goes through the entire book from front to back, like the corner got dinged, as opposed to a crease that runs from the top edge to bottom edge or right edge to left edge.

4 hours ago, GB said:

It's really nice to see a copy where the pages don't stick out beyond the cover, the paper around the staples isn't damaged, and the spine looks natural and plump from top to bottom.  With the accumulation of minor defects and the rusty staple, perhaps it's best to leave the copy unpressed.  It's hard to find unpressed copies in the very fine grade range, and accordingly yours might command a premium price for the assigned grade when you decide to sell.

Edited by namisgr

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Its the overhang on the top of the book.  They're just saying it runs the width of the book.  If this were mine I would be hesitant due to the crease on the bottom right corner.  Usually a crease that size will limit a book to an 8.0.  If you factor in the other defects you're at a 7.5.  Pretty sure thats what it would come back.

4 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Pretty sure they mean there is a small corner crease that goes through the entire book from front to back, like the corner got dinged, as opposed to a crease that runs from the top edge to bottom edge or right edge to left edge.

I see, that one makes more sense for the given grade.

8 hours ago, GB said:

It's an expensive gamble to take with no payoff if it comes back the same grade.

I realize y'all hate PGX since we're on the CGC boards, but you can just get it pressed by them for about no more than $100 if you add additional fees. So... expensive???

I'd do it, but than again I've never handled a book worth 100K+ so whadda I know?

Edited by HuddyBee

9 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

I realize y'all hate PGX since we're on the CGC boards, but you can just get it pressed by them for about no more than $100 if you add additional fees. So... expensive???

I'd do it, but than again I've never handled a book worth 100K+ so whadda I know?

What would it cost with CGC? 

28 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

What would it cost with CGC? 

I dunno I've never used 'em, but I do know they charge an arm and a leg in additional fees, for $$$ books. If you were just going to get it graded, you'd have to pay an at least an additional $3,000 in fees, so I imagine its not that much different for grading

I might've been exaggerating when I said PGX would do it for $100, probably more like $300-1K, but still nowhere close to what CGC (or should I say CCS) would charge.

Edited by HuddyBee

I appreciate all the feedback on this and I'm thinking of just having the book sent back as is. The fees for having it pressed and regraded combined are 5.5% of the estimated value. So with the last 7.5 selling on comiclink last week at $140K, that's $7700. But, if it came back as an 8, the $7700 would have been well worth it.

I'm not looking to flip the book or anything. I just started having books graded for the day I decide to sell them all or if something happens to me, make it easy for my wife to sell them.

34 minutes ago, GB said:

I appreciate all the feedback on this and I'm thinking of just having the book sent back as is. The fees for having it pressed and regraded combined are 5.5% of the estimated value. So with the last 7.5 selling on comiclink last week at $140K, that's $7700. But, if it came back as an 8, the $7700 would have been well worth it.

I'm not looking to flip the book or anything. I just started having books graded for the day I decide to sell them all or if something happens to me, make it easy for my wife to sell them.

It’s a pretty book in hand. My advice is given its value , probably worth spending the mula to potentially get an upgrade (those dents). If it stays the same, the 5.5% will easily be absorbed if/when you sell. If you get upgrade, winner. At the level you are at (the couple of books you showed me) I’m guessing the 7700 won’t have any impact on your day to day? Nothing ventured, nothing gained :)