• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

On 7/13/2018 at 11:22 PM, amazingspiderfan said:

And who in the heck is Kevin Michael McFadden that he gets a special designation on his books? ???

Especially when somebody like Bob Overstreet never received any kind of designation for his collection of books.  :screwy:

On 7/16/2018 at 5:02 PM, Dark Knight said:
On 7/16/2018 at 1:50 AM, dinesh_s said:

I doubt this was a record price. I'm sure there was a sale 2 years ago that trumped this hammer price. Back when it was 10k/point or so.

I guess you would be referring to this CGC 4.5 graded copy that sold on CC for over $37K back in the spring of 2017 when those 3 big AF 15 auction results from that same auction seem to be the turning point that ignited the most recent AF 15 price explosion that took place last year:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=689896&title=AMAZINGFANTASY

22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I guess you would be referring to this CGC 4.5 graded copy that sold on CC for over $37K back in the spring of 2017 when those 3 big AF 15 auction results from that same auction seem to be the turning point that ignited the most recent AF 15 price explosion that took place last year:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=689896&title=AMAZINGFANTASY

That book is no longer in that old label slab, some people ran it up to get it and resub it. I lost out on many books from bidders buying them to break them out etc. Night,

Edited by Peter Loves Gwen

On 7/26/2018 at 11:19 PM, Peter Loves Gwen said:
On 7/26/2018 at 1:15 AM, lou_fine said:

That book is no longer in that old label slab, some people ran it up to get it and resub it. I lost out on many books from bidders buying them to break them out etc. Night,

That book did actually upgrade. I received a lot of derision over a year ago for suggesting that this is why it sold for so much, but there you have it.

On 7/25/2018 at 4:05 PM, Jaydogrules said:

The 4.5 with "white pages" on the label closed for $29k.  Which is nearly $5k below what this 4.5 with a razor sharp edge with "cream to white pages" on the label sold for just a few days earlier:

If you're trying to draw a correlation with page quality to show that it doesn't matter (because your stance is that White pages don't sell for more and that is the only reason I can think of why you would state PQ) you are obfuscating the facts.

Eye appeal will trump page quality the majority of the time.

7 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
On 7/26/2018 at 8:19 PM, Peter Loves Gwen said:
On 7/25/2018 at 10:15 PM, lou_fine said:

That book did actually upgrade. I received a lot of derision over a year ago for suggesting that this is why it sold for so much, but there you have it.

Since you seem to be in the know about this copy here, what did the book upgrade to in the end?  hm

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Since you seem to be in the know about this copy here, what did the book upgrade to in the end?  hm

Not really important to the discussion.

:wink:

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:
9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not really important to the discussion.

:wink:

It is to me, you little teaser.  :censored:

Now, I won't be able to go to sleep tonight while pulling my hair out trying to figure what the book upgraded to in the end.  :pullhair:  lol

41 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

Why wouldn’t it be important? A single upgrade proves you case ... but a double upgrade (or more). is a slam dunk win for you. No?

New owners or prospective buyers may not like to learn that the 6.0 graded comic used to be considered a 4.5 book, or a top census 9.4 used to reside in an 8.5 slab.  It's a part of crack/press/resubmit that is often kept quiet.

Edited by namisgr

2 hours ago, namisgr said:
2 hours ago, Aman619 said:

Why wouldn’t it be important? A single upgrade proves you case ... but a double upgrade (or more). is a slam dunk win for you. No?

New owners or prospective buyers may not like to learn that the 6.0 graded comic used to be considered a 4.5 book, or a top census 9.4 used to reside in an 8.5 slab.  It's a part of crack/press/resubmit that is often kept quiet.

Definitely no longer the Wild Wild West days of old that Borock used to referred to prior to CGC coming into place, but now a much more sophisticated, subtle, grayer, and shadier side of the game where the greed merchants on both sides of the game ply their trade in the dark with much bigger money involved.  :frown:

Sometimes, it makes me wonder if we are actually any better off than we were before. hm  (shrug)

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

So true. Most think books grade a single bump up and that's okay because the grading is subjective and many books are tweeners anyway. However, these big grade bumps happen more often than you think. I've personally witnessed 8.5 to 9.4 on a couple of my former books. IMO, the system should not support these kind of huge swings. It's not good for the hobby. But let's face facts, many individuals make a living from these opportunities. The discussion and disclosure about this is not openly talked about here. I'm actually surprised Roy opened the door at all on this in this thread.

13 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm actually surprised Roy opened the door at all on this in this thread.

I don't think he did, Bob.  He mentioned he wouldn't reveal the new grade of the AF15 in question, which is probably the respectful position to take toward whoever currently owns it.

24 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

So true. Most think books grade a single bump up and that's okay because the grading is subjective and many books are tweeners anyway. However, these big grade bumps happen more often than you think. I've personally witnessed 8.5 to 9.4 on a couple of my former books. IMO, the system should not support these kind of huge swings. It's not good for the hobby. But let's face facts, many individuals make a living from these opportunities. The discussion and disclosure about this is not openly talked about here. I'm actually surprised Roy opened the door at all on this in this thread.

When Matt opened up the "press-n-sell" service, we knew this was coming.

5 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I don't think he did, Bob.  He mentioned he wouldn't reveal the new grade of the AF15 in question, which is probably the respectful position to take toward whoever currently owns it.

True, but it's no different than complaining about a transaction without revealing the ID. It peaks the Boards curiosity, leading to more prodding. I'm not saying it's correct, but if you are going to say anything, be prepared to reveal more. Personally, I don't want to know, I don't care but we would not have been discussing this if not for his comment.

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

True, but it's no different than complaining about a transaction without revealing the ID. It peaks the Boards curiosity, leading to more prodding. I'm not saying it's correct, but if you are going to say anything, be prepared to reveal more. Personally, I don't want to know, I don't care but we would not have been discussing this if not for his comment.

Well, it does have relevance to the discussion about AF15 valuation, if indeed it's an example of a book selling for way above the going rate for its given grade, with the reason being not that the marketplace ignores page quality, but rather that its value could be manipulated much higher by the new owner.

Edited by namisgr

16 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Well, it does have relevance to the discussion about AF15 valuation, if indeed it's an example of a book selling for way above the going rate for its given grade, with the reason being not that the marketplace ignores page quality, but rather that its value could be manipulated much higher by the new owner.

True, Jaydog is the real instigator here HaHa !  

The real significance of the upgrade for the purposes of this thread goes back to the ongoing discussion of what exactly kicked off the huge spec burst in AF 15 a few years ago.  Many of us point to a few upgradeable mid grade copies selling for unheard of numbers.  This usually signifies two or more bidders recognizing an upgrade opportunity worth paying over GPA for. Finding out that indeed one or more of the three copies that sold strongly at CC in fact WERE upgraded underscores that argument, as opposed to the other theories suggested in this thread.  And a double upgrade would mean that the bidders could have been safely betting at up to 15-20K more than GPA at the time. 

2 hours ago, Aman619 said:

The real significance of the upgrade for the purposes of this thread goes back to the ongoing discussion of what exactly kicked off the huge spec burst in AF 15 a few years ago.  Many of us point to a few upgradeable mid grade copies selling for unheard of numbers.  This usually signifies two or more bidders recognizing an upgrade opportunity worth paying over GPA for. Finding out that indeed one or more of the three copies that sold strongly at CC in fact WERE upgraded underscores that argument, as opposed to the other theories suggested in this thread.  And a double upgrade would mean that the bidders could have been safely betting at up to 15-20K more than GPA at the time. 

The biggest winner I've seen was the 8.0 CBCS purchased for 78k (I think) and came back a CGC 8.0.