• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,479 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, chrisco37 said:

That’s a good buy too, I think.  Even if the original Xmen are “lame”.  The concept is great and 1st Magneto (probably the best Marvel baddy after Doom). 

Xmen ruled the roost thru the 80’s with the Clairemont/Byrne/Austin stuff.  

Daredevil 1 is the most undervalued Marvel book.  Ridiculously “cheap” in comparison when you think about it.  Such a great character with some of the more memorable storylines (Miller, Bendis, Brubaker).  

Odd/coincidence that FF1, Xmen1, and DD1 all have white covers.  Makes them tough.

Well that's good to hear since I decided to take advantage of the relative affordability of DD #1 and go big by purchasing a 9.4.  It cost me less than half of my 5.0 AF #15.  :whatthe:

FF #1, JIM #83, and ASM #1 are the three "holy grails" still on my want list.  One notch below those three would be TTA #27 and #35, plus FF #4 and #5.

51 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Well that's good to hear since I decided to take advantage of the relative affordability of DD #1 and go big by purchasing a 9.4.  It cost me less than half of my 5.0 AF #15.  :whatthe:

FF #1, JIM #83, and ASM #1 are the three "holy grails" still on my want list.  One notch below those three would be TTA #27 and #35, plus FF #4 and #5.

Take time out to enjoy your AF15. One rainy or cold night snuggle up with it.  :x

2 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Well maybe the FF #1 thread is where we all should be having that discussion right now.

In my case, I bought my AF #15 in July 2017.  More or less the height of the AF #15 bubble.  I wouldn't say I feel full-on regret, but I don't think I could break even if I tried to sell my copy today.  Since I bought this to hold indefinitely, and not to flip, I feel hopeful that I'll be OK in the long run.

Now I'm sitting here with FF #1 on my want list.  Kicking myself for not buying one last year -- in addition to or even instead of AF #15.  Should I race to buy one now?  If I do, will I sit here a year from now feeling like I bought at precisely the wrong time?

Questions to ponder.

This thread was actually dangerous for those of us that did not own an AF15. The desire to join the party, for both the camaraderie and the financials, was too tempting. In many ways, this thread was a self fulfilling prophecy, leading it's readers to buy overvalued copies. It's refreshing to read your comments about a possible 'mistake' being made by purchasing at the height. Most others are in denial. It's never a bad move to buy an AF15, you will be fine long term but we all should learn a lesson here. There is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine. BTW, there are still many keys that are undervalued, think outside the box, maybe even consider DC ? :baiting:

3 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:
3 hours ago, NoMan said:

I really miss this thread from a year and half or so ago when the AF15 bubble was inflating and inflating and inflating.

Was such a good read with its juxtaposition of calm, rational and experienced posts with posts straight from the cuckoo-cuckoo clock. 

Come on AF15 Bubble come back! Come back! All is forgiven. 

Well maybe the FF #1 thread is where we all should be having that discussion right now.

In my case, I bought my AF #15 in July 2017.  More or less the height of the AF #15 bubble.  I wouldn't say I feel full-on regret, but I don't think I could break even if I tried to sell my copy today.  Since I bought this to hold indefinitely, and not to flip, I feel hopeful that I'll be OK in the long run.

Now I'm sitting here with FF #1 on my want list.  Kicking myself for not buying one last year -- in addition to or even instead of AF #15.  Should I race to buy one now?  If I do, will I sit here a year from now feeling like I bought at precisely the wrong time?

Questions to ponder.

It's almost like the stock market from this point of view.

If it's in the news and everybody's talking about how red hot it is and how it's simply going to keep going up in price, that's probably the time to sell it, as opposed to buying it.  Especially when the FOMO factor is right at its peak. hm

The stock market is one of the most common places where you tend to see FOMO in play, as the regular general public always seem to get caught in all of the hysteria and ends up buying high and then selling low as the greed factor turns into the fear factor when the market drops and prices fall to the bottom.  Sometimes, it's best not to follow the herd mentality of what the general public is doing and instead buy when things are cold (goes on sale) and sell when things are hot.    :preach:

Of course, from my own personal experience, it's also definitely a lot easier said than done.  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

When did the bubble begin? When did it burst? Maybe direct people to this thread circa 2017 when discussing the dangers of FOMO.

Conversely is there a thread to direct people to when discussing FOMO wherein if you didn’t move you absolutely did miss out? IH181?

Edited by NoMan

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This thread was actually dangerous for those of us that did not own an AF15. The desire to join the party, for both the camaraderie and the financials, was too tempting. In many ways, this thread was a self fulfilling prophecy, leading it's readers to buy overvalued copies. It's refreshing to read your comments about a possible 'mistake' being made by purchasing at the height. Most others are in denial. It's never a bad move to buy an AF15, you will be fine long term but we all should learn a lesson here. There is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine. BTW, there are still many keys that are undervalued, think outside the box, maybe even consider DC ? :baiting:

I buy comics because I love them, not just because they might make an attractive investment.

I will admit there have been some modern-age DC comics I actually collected, read, and enjoyed -- Watchmen and Frank Miller Batman come to mind.  But with no disrespect intended to anyone, I don't find any appeal whatsoever in anything DC published in the Silver Age.  Keys or not, those books are just not even on my radar as anything I'd want to collect.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

It's almost like the stock market from this point of view.

If it's in the news and everybody's talking about how red hot it is and how it's simply going to keep going up in price, that's probably the time to sell it, as opposed to buying it.  Especially when the FOMO factor is right at its peak. hm

The stock market is one of the most common places where you tend to see FOMO in play, as the regular general public always seem to get caught in all of the hysteria and ends up buying high and then selling low as the greed factor turns into the fear factor when the market drops and prices fall to the bottom.  Sometimes, it's best not to follow the herd mentality of what the general public is doing and instead buy when things are cold (goes on sale) and sell when things are hot.    :preach:

Of course, from my own personal experience, it's also definitely a lot easier said than done.  doh!

Funny you make that comparison because I'm the kind of person who still holds antiquated notions like buying a stock because you actually believe in the long-term prospects of the company you're buying into.  But that's not really what the stock market is all about for most investors who pick individual stocks (as opposed to the vast numbers invested in mutual funds etc.).  It's just a game of speculation on which picks will go up or down in value.

I'm a collector who is generally exclusively a buyer (except to the degree that I do sell off undercopies when I upgrade).  So for me the only question is whether I'm in a race to buy books before they all keep going up or whether there is ever a book where I should be patient before buying.  FF #1 being red hot right now has me thinking I should be patient, but I could end up being wrong (or I could end up changing my mind and pouncing if the right copy comes along).

5 hours ago, NoMan said:

Several of the Market Reports in the 2018 OSPG say that the AF15 prices of 2017 could not be sustained echoing some folks opinions here from back in the crazy days of 2017. One market report made the suggestion that the time to sell AF15 is now and to put that money into a different key(s). (Just got out my book and looked this up. Alex Reece from Reece's Rare Comics says it atop page 178, specifically if you are "unsure" about keeping yours of not.) But in fairness other Market Reports say AF15 "shows no sign of slowing down" (Todd Sheffer of Hake's Americana Page 183. ) 

If you wanted the AF15 for your long term collection, well, now you have one! Like you said if one isn't flipping no need to worry.

If you want an FF 1 for your long term collection, you'll get one. 

I know, I know. I'm no help whatsoever. I can't be a monday morning quarterback. Does anyone truly know when the bubble is gonna take off or burst?

glad to see someone mention alex reece's comments in the OSPG. i just read that today. bearing in mind that far more dealers are bullish about the book than bearish, and the fact that alex is like 16 years old, and the fact that he wrote that in december of last year and the book is doing just fine now, i think it's reasonable to conclude that his opinion that it is a "bubble" might not be factual. of course, it might be right too, and we all have to consider such a thing, but i tend to think that if you sell your copy now, there's a decent chance you will never get back in for less money in the future. this is FOMO, to be sure, but it's based on some decent observation of the market. for me, it is a long term hold and a book that i would only sell to upgrade, but i still would like to know if the sky is falling. but i don't believe it is. some people have commented elsewhere on these boards that seeing so many copies at SDCC which are not selling takes some of the luster off of a book like this, but i beg to differ. dealers often have key books overpriced at big shows, in spite of what some dealers will say, and the best reflection of the demand for a book is the auction results. CL and CC do just fine with AF15 whenever there is one up, even when it has horribly chipped pages (see a few weeks ago). i think that's a great indicator that there is no lack of interest in this book, as long as one thinks they are getting it at a competitive price. 

14 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

glad to see someone mention alex reece's comments in the OSPG. i just read that today. bearing in mind that far more dealers are bullish about the book than bearish, and the fact that alex is like 16 years old, and the fact that he wrote that in december of last year and the book is doing just fine now, i think it's reasonable to conclude that his opinion that it is a "bubble" might not be factual. of course, it might be right too, and we all have to consider such a thing, but i tend to think that if you sell your copy now, there's a decent chance you will never get back in for less money in the future. this is FOMO, to be sure, but it's based on some decent observation of the market. for me, it is a long term hold and a book that i would only sell to upgrade, but i still would like to know if the sky is falling. but i don't believe it is. some people have commented elsewhere on these boards that seeing so many copies at SDCC which are not selling takes some of the luster off of a book like this, but i beg to differ. dealers often have key books overpriced at big shows, in spite of what some dealers will say, and the best reflection of the demand for a book is the auction results. CL and CC do just fine with AF15 whenever there is one up, even when it has horribly chipped pages (see a few weeks ago). i think that's a great indicator that there is no lack of interest in this book, as long as one thinks they are getting it at a competitive price. 

SDCC (and other conventions) are migrating to character & role playing conventions. I would think not many Wonder Women, Pokemon, or Dungeons & Dragons are there to buy AF15s.

Edited by peewee22

9 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

Alex Reece is 16? Really? 

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

Alex Reece is 16? Really? 

27, but happy I look that young to some haha! And to reiterate my report, I said that I believed the book was leveling off rather than continuing its meteoric rise, while other books (I called out FF #1 in particular) have skyrocketed since the time of writing in December. I think this has been borne out over the past 6 months, but it's all really just a "best guess" in any case. The market is more powerful than any one indicator, so we're all going off of imperfect knowledge, but all the market reports do foster good discussion, and that's what it's really about!

24 minutes ago, alexgreece said:

27, but happy I look that young to some haha! And to reiterate my report, I said that I believed the book was leveling off rather than continuing its meteoric rise, while other books (I called out FF #1 in particular) have skyrocketed since the time of writing in December. I think this has been borne out over the past 6 months, but it's all really just a "best guess" in any case. The market is more powerful than any one indicator, so we're all going off of imperfect knowledge, but all the market reports do foster good discussion, and that's what it's really about!

16 sounded a bit low. 27 is still young and if you're making a living around comics and you love 'em, more power to you.

57 minutes ago, NoMan said:

16 sounded a bit low. 27 is still young and if you're making a living around comics and you love 'em, more power to you.

Love my job, honestly couldn't think of a better one if I tried!

41 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Alex is trust fund baby (trust that greg will work and fund that next paycheck when he isn't at a show)

Lol, now Bob, I'm the one running all the shows that fall during the colder months!

Edited by alexgreece

just to be clear, i was only joking about him being 16. i know he's a young man, and i also am sure that he has tons more knowledge than i do about comics and the business of comic collecting/ investing. i also was really intrigued to see him claim that AF15 was in "a bit of a bubble" in the guide, since very few authorities want to go out on that limb. and it's perhaps not the most popular opinion to voice either. plus those of us who own the book are naturally biased to not think so. so, i want to hear informed opinions that may contrast with my own biased ones! props to you alex for your piece. i hope you were wrong and as i said, i tend to think you might have been, but i was happy to read your piece and i hope to read more straight dope from you and your dad in future editions of the guide. 

10 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

You do know that the sales numbers only appear if you are logged in.

No, I did not.

$50,400 for the 6.0 Universal

$36,000 for the 6.5 Conserved (cover cleaned)

Edited by Gotham Kid