• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Shafers said:

Question. Will a AF15 with a completely detached cover receive a grade? If taped on?  

Yes, it will receive a grade taped on or not.  Personally speaking, I would not tape the cover on. 

Welcome to the boards!

Thanks!  I got a cover with a destroyed spine. Very pretty cover.   I'm  debating on framing it or finding a body and hoping cgc would slab a grade.  Will they issue a grade if cover and body don' match?  I know it would be super low but a 1.0 is good for me

30 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Yes, it will receive a grade taped on or not.  Personally speaking, I would not tape the cover on. 

Welcome to the boards!

6 hours ago, Shafers said:

Thanks!  I got a cover with a destroyed spine. Very pretty cover.   I'm  debating on framing it or finding a body and hoping cgc would slab a grade.  Will they issue a grade if cover and body don' match?  I know it would be super low but a 1.0 is good for me

If the cover and interior match the book will receive a Universal grade. Like a 1.0ish grade (maybe 1.5 if the eye appeal is exceptional) or below 1.0 if there is a lot of damage to the cover.

If the covers don't match, the book will receive a Qualified grade. They will grade it like the cover matches but not put it in a blue label because the cover is married from another copy.

If you tape the cover, the book will be graded as though the tape is not there but there will be a tape notation on the label.

Edited by VintageComics

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

If the cover and interior match the book will receive a Universal grade. Like a 1.0ish grade (maybe 1.5 if the eye appeal is exceptional) or below 1.0 if there is a lot of damage to the cover.

If the covers don't match, the book will receive a Qualified grade. They will grade it like the cover matches but not put it in a blue label because the cover is married from another copy.

If you tape the cover, the book will be graded as though the tape is not there but there will be a tape notation on the label.

I don't see how they could match. There is so much difference in staple placement, cover dimensions, etc. A long shot at best Roy.

21 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

I don't see how they could match. There is so much difference in staple placement, cover dimensions, etc. A long shot at best Roy.

I wasn't saying it would match. I just wanted to cover all of the bases with my post.

On 8/4/2018 at 4:38 PM, Gotham Kid said:

I bless the day he went away. I believe he moved to China. The AF15 market over there is thriving.

Didn't a new boardie appear the same day SC22 had his last login using the same naming convention for his board name?  I can't remember who it was or if they ever admitted it but I remember it was an overwhelming coincidence.

1 hour ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Yea, like the poor guy that bought the xmen 1 pgx that ended up having  pages missing. PASS

Was looking at AF15 auctions this week & was wondering about something that I have absolutely no plans on doing, but am still curious. If someone bothered to track down all 8 wraps individually (let's say C/OW average, decent shape), and a cover (let's say it would pass as your average 2.0 beater cover), & sent it to whoever you think does the best restoration & had them marry all of this into 1 cohesive book, what kind of grade would you think it would return? I'm assuming a purple label, I just have no idea what the final grade would look like on average. Anyone have experience with these types of projects? Any restoration kings on here?

3 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Was looking at AF15 auctions this week & was wondering about something that I have absolutely no plans on doing, but am still curious. If someone bothered to track down all 8 wraps individually (let's say C/OW average, decent shape), and a cover (let's say it would pass as your average 2.0 beater cover), & sent it to whoever you think does the best restoration & had them marry all of this into 1 cohesive book, what kind of grade would you think it would return? I'm assuming a purple label, I just have no idea what the final grade would look like on average. Anyone have experience with these types of projects? Any restoration kings on here?

I think they would give it the colors of a rainbow. A little bit of everything. :smile:

1 hour ago, Not A Clone said:

I guess I must not understand what's out there, but are there really that many free-floating pages of comic books out there, that someone would need to assemble them like that?  Even when I hear about a cover being married to a complete set of interior pages, I'm sort of scratching my head wondering how that happens.  I can see why a book would have a damaged cover you'd like to replace with a better cover, but I don't quite understand where that better cover comes from and why it isn't already attached to some perfectly acceptable interior pages.