• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Slightly faded ( but that could be the scanner ) but grade looks about right.

Yes, the fading or washing out might be from the scanner settings being set too high, as based upon the brightness of the CGC label.  (shrug)

I guess I am just not too enamoured with what's going on with the top left hand spine area of the book.

And yet, if I take a look at this highest graded copy of Wonderworld Comics #24 from 1941 with the exact same CGC 5.5 grade and PQ, it would appear to be a lot nicer from an overall visual point of view:

won3.310a.jpg

won3.310b.jpg

Definitely a lot less wear along the spine as compared to the AF15, although there is some obvious crinkling along the top edge which I imagine is what must have killed the grade for this book as that kind of defect is an absolute no-no with the current grading team that is is place at CGC.  :frown:

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, the fading or washing out might be from the scanner settings being set too high, as based upon the brightness of the CGC label

The new CGC cases are thicker, causing books to sit higher from the glass than the old cases.

In the case of my scanner, it causes the book to look washed out.

Not sure if this is the case or not for the Clink copy, but just compare the same book scanned with two different scanners below (the new holder being the duller looking one - same book in both holders)

844215560_AmazingFantasy15CGC5_0OWW1997078001front.thumb.jpg.d4eb824d69ce4db9bcb80ddefc6919ab.jpg

1413537028_AmazingFantasy15CGC5_0OWW1226843001.thumb.jpg.eb41f1f8a631cbea3182c0d824591b02.jpg

And to all those naysayers who have always doubted CGC's consistency when it comes to grading:

844215560_AmazingFantasy15CGC5_0OWW1997078001front.thumb.jpg.d4eb824d69ce4db9bcb80ddefc6919ab.jpg

Definitive proof beyond a shadow of doubt that they are absolutely wrong because no matter how long I look at these 2 equivalent graded copies of AF 15 here, I just can't see a single iota of difference between the two of them:  (shrug)

ama12.630a.jpg

Or not!!!  lol  :screwy:

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Definitive proof beyond a shadow of doubt that they are absolutely wrong because no matter how long I look at these 2 equivalent graded copies of AF 15 here, I just can't see a single iota of difference between the two of them:

Your comparison is ridiculous.

You're  not grading baseball cards. You could have a 9.8 looking copy and if the water stain is large enough it could grade below VG

Whatever keeps the grade down on the 2nd 5.0, it isn't the front cover.

Edited by VintageComics

9 hours ago, VintageComics said:

You're comparison is ridiculous.

You're  not grading baseball cards. You could have a 9.8 looking copy and if the water stain is large enough it could grade below VG

^^

15 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
On 11/17/2018 at 7:36 PM, VintageComics said:

This. fc looks VF'nish

Agree, but it looks like it was the back cover and possible ancillary damage (if any) to some of the interior pages that pulled the grade down to a VG/F:

ama12.630b.jpg

Since it's mostly about the front cover though, I would most definitely still choose this copy over the other copy depending upon what's in the Grader's Notes.  (thumbsu

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Agree, but it looks like it was the back cover and possible ancillary damage (if any) to some of the interior pages that pulled the grade down to a VG/F:

ama12.630b.jpg

Since it's mostly about the front cover though, I would most definitely still choose this copy over the other copy depending upon what's in the Grader's Notes.  (thumbsu

That's the 5.0 that went for $57K in the spring of 2017.

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

ama12.630b.jpg

That's the 5.0 that went for $57K in the spring of 2017.

Yes, wasn't that the one you was initially thinking of bidding on, but changed your mind in the end for one reason or another?

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, wasn't that the one you was initially thinking of bidding on, but changed your mind in the end for one reason or another?

I wasn't after that book.

Andy / October was. He saw the book raw and offered over market for it.

2 hours ago, DST said:

Congrats on the .5 grade bump!  That was my copy for a short time as a 4.0.  Love that book.  Perfect wrap and centering, presents so beautifully :luhv:

i submitted that book to cgc for evaluation for pressing and they said it was not a candidate. doh! 

3 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

That’s a great 4.5!! Congrats. 

I wanted to share my newly acquired copy. I just completed a mega trade for this 1.5 SS Lee. For those that know me, I love SS, and was thrilled to get this. It has a nice, clean, smaller Stan sig. Much thanks to @Kalel38 on the trade and @CBass for facilitating it. (worship)

That's as nice of a Stan sig as I've ever seen on an AF15.  Congrats

Edited by gadzukes