• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,479 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

About that, yes. It was fun to watch live. I was tempted on a few if I'm honest. The estimate (based on a Fine rating) was £8-10K so I was hoping it might go for less if the wrong audience was in place. It clearly didn't!

That estimate was a joke.

20 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Fairly decent 3.0 went for 18k at Heritage tonight. Book has cooled down quite a bit from two years ago.

I've been watching 2.5-3.5 quite closely the past 8 months or so as I've been in the market to buy one.  What I have found is a very high percentage of the copies sold on CL and HA end up being posted for sale again very quickly on the same or different platform (hey I've seen that book before!).  The price shot up from buyers looking to make a quick flip, and not from what I call "true" market demand.  I suppose that's not much different than any other hot Marvel SA key for the past few years, but the price point makes it less liquid.  

2 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

That estimate was a joke.

Exactly. I was hoping it was going to be amateur hour with a non-comic audience. There was a big round of applause when it went for £15K and the auctioneer looked liked he needed the toilet afterwards. 

10 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Exactly. I was hoping it was going to be amateur hour with a non-comic audience. There was a big round of applause when it went for £15K and the auctioneer looked liked he needed the toilet afterwards. 

Opening bid was probably the high end of the estimate

AF15 is fine.  It’s one of the “blue chip” books.  It jumped big time a few years back and has leveled out a bit. That’s how cycles go.  

If you’re holding long term, you’ll be alright.  It’s not a book you buy for a quick flip (sure, if you time it right, you can do well).  If you buy it for the long hold, you’ll do well.  Hold it for 5-10 years.  

8 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

AF15 is fine.  It’s one of the “blue chip” books.  It jumped big time a few years back and has leveled out a bit. That’s how cycles go.  

If you’re holding long term, you’ll be alright.  It’s not a book you buy for a quick flip (sure, if you time it right, you can do well).  If you buy it for the long hold, you’ll do well.  Hold it for 5-10 years.  

Could not have said it better, it is THE silver age book to own over the long haul ...........period.

2 hours ago, 234wallst said:

I've been watching 2.5-3.5 quite closely the past 8 months or so as I've been in the market to buy one.  What I have found is a very high percentage of the copies sold on CL and HA end up being posted for sale again very quickly on the same or different platform (hey I've seen that book before!).  The price shot up from buyers looking to make a quick flip, and not from what I call "true" market demand.  I suppose that's not much different than any other hot Marvel SA key for the past few years, but the price point makes it less liquid.  

There are collectors and there are flippers. And some in between. 

Thanks everyone for your help with my ungraded copy looks like it is somewhere between 4 - 6.  So what is the best way to estimate FMV?  If i send it in too low, will CGC correct it? also the fees are significantly different depending on FMV.  I made a table with the values based on Go Collect.  What would most people say as FMV? is it better to go lower or higher?

image.png.687510b3c1bfc12d39ebb3cb2823f48c.png

30 minutes ago, tbshay said:

Thanks everyone for your help with my ungraded copy looks like it is somewhere between 4 - 6.  So what is the best way to estimate FMV?  If i send it in too low, will CGC correct it? also the fees are significantly different depending on FMV.  I made a table with the values based on Go Collect.  What would most people say as FMV? is it better to go lower or higher?

In my experience they will correct for you. If you think you’re book is 4-6 then send it in as a 5. You can always call cgc though and ask them. 

My friend submitted a book at Baltimore that had chipping and a crease etc., and put a fmv of 15k on  the form ,and it came back a 6.0. Cgc at that time said some in that grade sold for 38k, but they were only going to charge him on a 28k fmv.  The chipping does hurt the sale but he was offered 36k that same day when he showed some dealers.

If you would mail it in just be sure your comfortable with the fmv you listed on the form and have it insured at, in case something happens . My friend had his graded onsite at Baltimore, I told him he was low I expected maybe a 5.0 at tops , he was really unsure, we were both surprised it came back at a 6.0 if something would have happened he only had it insured for 15k. 

1 hour ago, 1webslinger said:

If you would mail it in just be sure your comfortable with the fmv you listed on the form and have it insured at, in case something happens . My friend had his graded onsite at Baltimore, I told him he was low I expected maybe a 5.0 at tops , he was really unsure, we were both surprised it came back at a 6.0 if something would have happened he only had it insured for 15k. 

It was my understanding that any book worth more than $3000 has to be dropped off with CGC, either at their Sarasota location or at a comic book convention at which they are in attendance. Am I incorrect?

Joe

21 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

It was my understanding that any book worth more than $3000 has to be dropped off with CGC, either at their Sarasota location or at a comic book convention at which they are in attendance. Am I incorrect?

Joe

Where did you hear that ? Not true.

30 minutes ago, tbshay said:

In my experience they will correct for you. If you think you’re book is 4-6 then send it in as a 5. You can always call cgc though and ask them. 

1 minute ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Look at the attached grading tiers photo. How else can this be interpreted, other than the maximum value a comic submitted under the Express tier (only tier below Walkthru) is $3000?

Joe

GradingTiers.png

he quoted your assertion that it had to be dropped off, which I also believe is not correct.