• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

So this book just sold again on Clink this past week and hammered for $120k.  At first you are like what you talking about...then when you look closer you'll see it's in a different holder.  Did CGC miscall the trimming (like they've done in the past ala JIM83 fiasc, or did "they" miss the trimming).  Either way, there is likely some upset parties.

lf.jpg

9 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

So this book just sold again on Clink this past week and hammered for $120k.  At first you are like what you talking about...then when you look closer you'll see it's in a different holder.  Did CGC miscall the trimming (like they've done in the past ala JIM83 fiasc, or did "they" miss the trimming).  Either way, there is likely some upset parties.

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FDEFAULT.ASP%3F_SORT%3DYES%26Focused%3D1%26f1%3Da.NoOfBids%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Dcoiniden%2Ci.title%2Ci.IssueNumber%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Da.NoOfBids%26ODire3%3DDESC%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26pg%3D33%23Item_1296288&id=1296288&itemType=0

3 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Holy sheiit ...

guess that the second time around they saw that it wasnt chopped in the first place.

2 different grading companies so no 2nd time around to miss anything.

So which is worse, the buyer who possibly bought a trimmed comic or the seller who sold an untrimmed comic for the trimmed price?  

I've sent comics to CGC that I suspected trimmed and a lot come back not even though they look suspicious. CGC job is to know the wacky cuts the printing process can do and identify them.

5 hours ago, lhcomics said:

2 different grading companies so no 2nd time around to miss anything.

So which is worse, the buyer who possibly bought a trimmed comic or the seller who sold an untrimmed comic for the trimmed price?  

I've sent comics to CGC that I suspected trimmed and a lot come back not even though they look suspicious. CGC job is to know the wacky cuts the printing process can do and identify them.

Better nobody tell Mr. Bedrock about this, or we are gonna get a fresh burst from him. You listening Rich?

WOW -IMO buyer from heritage either got very lucky on the CBCS miss of trimming or manipulated the edges to look more original. I really do not think CGC got the trimming wrong. Interested to know if the new buyer knows history of book.

1 hour ago, Mr bla bla said:

Hmm... buy a micro trimmed mega key for a song.

How many subs will it subsequently take to pop a blue label ? One?, two? Four?

I had a BB28 years ago in a PLOD 7.0 (slight CT). A friend kept lightly scraping the color touch off the spine and resubbing it. On the 7th resub it came back universal 7.5. Go figure.

wish I could keep up with all these AF15s like you guys and understanding the detective work. This copy was in this holder but went to that holder and what it all means.

i'm a simple man unable to keep up. 

Perhaps I should switch over to Beenie Babies.

Edited by NoMan

21 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

lf.jpg

This is really scary.

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

wish I could keep up with all these AF15s like you guys and understanding the detective work. This copy was in this holder but went to that holder and what it all means.

i'm a simple man unable to keep up. 

Perhaps I should switch over to Beenie Babies.

Unfortunately, the moderators of this forum don't like to hear the words of their competitors.  They are pretty petty when it comes to that company but by all means mention PGX lol

11 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

This is really scary.

I'm sorry for being the slow guy in class but I'm in need of some help. Am I correct?:

This book was in a CGC case labeled as trimmed. Someone bought it for kinda a low price (all things being relative) and cracked it out and submitted it to the guys across the street and they said, "Hey it's not been trimmed" and put it in their version of a  universal case and it was sold for lots more than the HA CGC purchase?

Edited by NoMan

15 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

This is really scary.

Technically seller #1 was manipulated to sell off an 8.0 AF 15 universal for a restored and trimmed fraction of the real value. Id be disturbed over this, just sayin ...

Here’s a top angle from the book in a CGC before it was sold on eBay(sold for 12-13k if I remember correctly). 

Im thinking it’s blatant based on the right side of the top edge considering the bottom has no over hang. 

638028F1-A58A-4307-86AC-CF2A245E4FAA.jpeg