• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

If I were the buyer of this book I wouldn't exactly be happy right now.

Regardless of which "Grading company opinion" is right the original CGC submitter was either correctly or incorrectly paid based on a opinion and now the new buyer may have incorrectly paid for the new opinion.

As the new buyer unless this book goes to the grave with the buyer they now have a book with a negative stigma attached to it. 

I hope people are absolutely 100% sure it is the same book. 

29 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I hope people are absolutely 100% sure it is the same book. 

The tick marks along the spine match up identically. 

Quick comparison. Left image is the original CGC graded book with trimmed pages; right image is regraded book from another company without trimmed pages.

1933798734_AF15Comparison2.thumb.jpg.b219c5eaf665eb4ab6c40bd5967de8a4.jpg

Edited by DTM700
Added pic

On 2/27/2019 at 11:36 PM, Iceman399 said:

So this book just sold again on Clink this past week and hammered for $120k.  At first you are like what you talking about...then when you look closer you'll see it's in a different holder.  Did CGC miscall the trimming (like they've done in the past ala JIM83 fiasc, or did "they" miss the trimming).  Either way, there is likely some upset parties.

lf.jpg

Wow, this is unbelievable !!! But I gotta say, I ALWAYS buy CGC only. Once, off of a guy in my city here from Kijjiji, I bought a Batman #7  CBCS 3.0 (several months ago) and I just sent it to CGC as part of the 50% discount to redo the "other companies" holders. I'm still waiting to see if it is a true 3.0 blue (hopefully higher :wishluck:), should get it back in a week or two.

Another little story, but hockey card related, I sent a Howie Morenz 1933 OPC to KSA here in Ontario (Canada) ... not one of the top 2 or 3 companies for sports grading, but they are close to me and relatively cheap and easy to deal with. I spent about 1K on the card raw from a very respectable vintage card company at a local card show, but KSA came back with "authentic, trimmed" and no grade on a sports card that's been trimmed. I was extremely disappointed. Then , just last Fall PSA  (the top compnay, equivalent to CGC in comics) was at a local show taking submissions. Long story short, I got it back a couple months ago and its a 4.0 and no trimming, nothing else noted - and I'm happy again.

Use the industry standard, it's hard to go wrong. I'd really like to know how this mess of an AF15 story ends though ................

Edited by fishbone

Just now, fishbone said:

But I gotta say, I ALWAYS buy CGC only. Once, off of a guy in my city here from Kijjiji, I bought a Batman #7  CBCS 3.0 (several months ago)

hm

17 minutes ago, fishbone said:

Wow, this is unbelievable !!! But I gotta say, I ALWAYS buy CGC only. Once, off of a guy in my city here from Kijjiji, I bought a Batman #7  CBCS 3.0 (several months ago) and I just sent it to CGC as part of the 50% discount to redo the "other companies" holders. I'm still waiting to see if it is a true 3.0 blue (hopefully higher :wishluck:), should get it back in a week or two.

Another little story, but hockey card related, I sent a Howie Morenz 1933 OPC to KSA here in Ontario (Canada) ... not one of the top 2 or 3 companies for sports grading, but they are close to me and relatively cheap and easy to deal with. I spent about 1K on the card raw from a very respectable vintage card company at a local card show, but KSA came back with "authentic, trimmed" and no grade on a sports card that's been trimmed. I was extremely disappointed. Then , just last Fall PSA  (the top compnay, equivalent to CGC in comics) was at a local show taking submissions. Long story short, I got it back a couple months ago and its a 4.0 and no trimming, nothing else noted - and I'm happy again.

Use the industry standard, it's hard to go wrong. I'd really like to know how this mess of an AF15 story ends though ................

wait --- can we go back to your story for a second.

So your card was originally graded a "TRIMMED" card.  But with PSA, they didn't detect it?

Doesn't that still make you wonder if it's trimmed or not?  

My personal opinion, detecting trimmed edges is VERY VERY hard.  I'm curious, does anyone know how most companies detect trimmed edges?  Or is that a trade secret that no one likes to share, to prevent people from gaming it?

10 minutes ago, tdotcbc84 said:

wait --- can we go back to your story for a second.

So your card was originally graded a "TRIMMED" card.  But with PSA, they didn't detect it?

Doesn't that still make you wonder if it's trimmed or not?  

My personal opinion, detecting trimmed edges is VERY VERY hard.  I'm curious, does anyone know how most companies detect trimmed edges?  Or is that a trade secret that no one likes to share, to prevent people from gaming it?

I'm saying I bought it raw as a card from a huge dealer in vintage hockey cards that was around 4.0 - 5.0 with no issues. This company would not want a reputation of selling something to me that wasn't legit .... but KSA thought "trimmed", and I was puzzled and not happy. I cracked  it out of the holder, thought "I will give it to PSA , I do not (cannot) believe it is trimmed", and they came back with the card that I thought I originally purchased.

45 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Anybody think that the comiclink sale won't be completed?  

ComicLink should and I hope will see this thread and look into it. The facts should be brought to their attention.

Edited by Gotham Kid

10 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

ComicLink should and I hope will see this thread and look into it. The facts should be brought to their attention.

It is in one company's opinion the book was trimmed. It is in another company's opinion the book was not trimmed. If the new buyer has a serious issue with this, then perhaps CLink should intervine upon the buyer's request. However, it should be the buyer's responsibility to do any research on potential buys, especially those of large caliber. 

4 minutes ago, DTM700 said:

It is in one company's opinion the book was trimmed. It is in another company's opinion the book was not trimmed. If the new buyer has a serious issue with this, then perhaps CLink should intervine upon the buyer's request. However, it should be the buyer's responsibility to do any research on potential buys, especially those of large caliber. 

Hopefully the buyer will read this thread.

17 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

How exactly does the buyer do research?  Didn't these posts start after the auction ended?  How would the buyer know this was a previously graded book and was sold in another auction?  Takes a lot of time to scour the boards and frankly I'm very impressed on the people that turned this up.  

If I were the buyer and reading these posts, I would approach C-Link and possibly ask to cancel the deal based on the facts. Of course, you would hope C-Link (Josh) would be studying this and nip it in the bud.

Edited by peewee22

Maybe I am misreading GPA or do not understand the 2017 8.0 sale shown on the CLink page, but it looks like this book sold at a substantial discount relative to other recent CGC blue-label books of comparable grade.  Maybe some level of grading/trimming uncertainty was already included (even if unintentionally) in the final price.  I am not suggesting that would make the situation any better for an unaware buyer, but perhaps someone was willing to pay a premium for a chance that the book was not trimmed (or to save some money on a book of questionable grade).  Only one person who can tell us that though.

2 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

If I were the buyer and reading these posts, I would approach C-Link and possibly ask to cancel the deal based on the facts. Of course, you would hope C-Link (Josh) would be studying this and nip it in the bud.

I think we are asking way too much of the buyer and the seller here .... this is extremely difficult detective work , and kudos to who put it all together here on the Boards. Very impressive indeed.  The worth of these Boards is demonstrated day-in and day-out !!  The real question is whether buyer and C-Link are keeping up-to-date by scouring these Boards.

when buying pgx books, I've seen listing stating grades are the opinions of the grading company.  Just think of the migraine related to returns of pgx books after being regraded by cgc (blue pgx 9.0 becomes cgc restored 8.5 :whatthe:)

8 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

when buying pgx books, I've seen listing stating grades are the opinions of the grading company.  Just think of the migraine related to returns of pgx books after being regraded by cgc (blue pgx 9.0 becomes cgc restored 8.5 :whatthe:)

Right - and who do you think is correct based on history and precedent  [hint: not PGX]

16 minutes ago, fishbone said:

I think we are asking way too much of the buyer and the seller here .... this is extremely difficult detective work , and kudos to who put it all together here on the Boards. Very impressive indeed.  The worth of these Boards is demonstrated day-in and day-out !!  The real question is whether buyer and C-Link are keeping up-to-date by scouring these Boards.

I would think Clink keeps up with THIS thread frequently. This book is over 100k and I think the buyer needs to own it without any major reservations. 

1 hour ago, DTM700 said:
1 hour ago, DTM700 said:

However, it should be the buyer's responsibility to do any research on potential buys, especially those of large caliber. 

Disagree. That’s giving free passes the people who engage in this behavior. You don’t blame the victim

thats looking through the wrong end of the telescope 

To even hear that POV advocated here on the Boards causes me to doubt my friends here. I’m hoping you misspoke 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

7 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Disagree. That’s giving free passes the people who engage in this behavior. You don’t blame the victim

thats looking through the wrong end of the telescope 

To even hear that POV advocated here on the Boards causes me to doubt my friends here. I’m hoping you misspoke 

The book was regraded by another company. It's up to the buyer to decide whether to trust that company or not. There needs to be some level responsibility from the buyer's end -  that is my point.

Please do not attack me, it's only my opinion I'm stating. You may disagree and that is totally fine, but attacking is not okay.