• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2019 at 10:45 AM, namisgr said:
On 5/26/2019 at 9:04 AM, NoMan said:

or was it just cracked out of the case and resubmitted as new and got an 8.0? I'm so confused. :sorry:

It wasn't, in my opinion.  The pages stick out from the covers more than they did before, and the top cover edges have been flattened into the starched collar look, both of which are remnants of pressing.

How dare you say that you can identify the remnants of pressing on a book.  (tsk)

Especially when CGC has stated with absolutely no uncertainty that they cannot determine if a book has been pressed or not, and would not want to be in a situation where they have to guess.  Hence their rationale for giving the green (i.e. money) light for pressing to go full steam ahead.  :devil:

On 5/26/2019 at 12:08 PM, SECollector said:
On 5/26/2019 at 11:43 AM, Mr bla bla said:

when third party grading is being used in these profit manipulations / 'chasing the bump circus', it poisons the attempt to build trust in this hobby. it poisons not least how the hobby is assesed by external parties as a potential investment vehicle. just sayin ...

I am pretty new to the hobby, but my understanding is that this has been extensively done for years. Many years.

As I am sure you should be aware, this manipulative practice only became widespread after CGC rationalize the pratice as nothing more than "maximizing the potential of a book".  :gossip:

Needless to say, I am sure that it was in their business game plan right from the get go.  Especially when it meant additional streams of revenues for both their top and bottom lines and an obvious easy buy on for the collecting base after the fact, once they could see how much money was being made previously by the lucky few who were in the know.  hm

On 5/27/2019 at 12:44 PM, bronze johnny said:
On 5/27/2019 at 12:32 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Also, not really related as it's a completely different sort of story, but has anyone seen this article?  If this is true, we're talking about completely crapping out on a nearly half-billion dollar investment.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/05/26/louvre-intervenes-leonardo-da-vinci-row-author-claims-paris/

Wow! Thanks for sharing! I was wondering what happened with this.

Well, I guess if the Da Vinci painting is knocked off from its top spot throne, then this must mean Roy Lichtenstein's Masterpiece moves up a notch in the Top 10 list:

Masteripiece.jpg

After all, this painting by Lictenstein did sell for $165M back in 2017.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

4 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Charlie Sheens 9.6 1.1 milly copy suddenly looks like a steal.

It wasn’t sheens, it belonged to Erik Roberts I believe ?

43 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
5 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Charlie Sheens 9.6 1.1 milly copy suddenly looks like a steal.

It wasn’t sheens, it belonged to Erik Roberts I believe ?

correct

45 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
9 hours ago, peewee22 said:

Life changing cash for someone. :flipbait:

Or not , could be couch change to the winner?

Need to find where he throws away the old couches ...