• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Don't remember anything at all about the copy that your had sold as I assume it must have gone under the radar here.  maybe we need a bit of a reminder.  lol

Seriously though, the comic book market has always tended to move in cycles over time.  The Spidey market was definitely hot a couple of years ago and since that time, the heat seems to have move back to the Fantastic Four market which had been in the deep freeze for the longest while.  It will eventually cycle back to Spidey once the FF's and some of the other Marvel books does a little bit of catch up to Spidey's rocker like performance over the past few years.  hm  :taptaptap:

As for the nervous economy and collectors not buying right now.  Definitely not the case here if you look at some of the astounding prices that somce of the HTF GA books and classic covers are fetching in today's marketplace.  Needless to say, the records just keeps on coming for these types of books across the entire condition spectrum.  :whatthe:  (thumbsu

Glassman sold his 5.0 AF15 thru Bob Storms?!?! :whatthe:

38 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Is that Barton's 9.2 that sold on the Clink exchange a couple of years ago.  If so the seller made a nice chunk in a relatively short amount time...

It isn't, based on some features of wear and discoloration.

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Sorry for the digression, but back to the topic on hand:

ama12.647a.jpg

Anybody else here think the purchaser made an astute and very timely purchase here at $598K while the AF 15 market is a tad soft and this purchase will look like a steal once the heat of the market cycles back to the Spidey books?  hm

No...the guy got ripped off! :screwy:

CGC 9.0 oww (# 1449688001) re-graded to CGC 9.2 oww (# 1223893001) 

3 hours ago, drbanner said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Don't remember anything at all about the copy that your had sold as I assume it must have gone under the radar here.  maybe we need a bit of a reminder. 

Glassman sold his 5.0 AF15 thru Bob Storms?!?! :whatthe:

Anyone wish to elaborate on the story?   Hopefully it'll tie us up until the next round of auctions in 3 months.

Edited by Gotham Kid

Wish I could keep up with what AF15s got bought, pressed, regraded, reholdered, resold like some of you arm chair Sam Spades around here can. 

All I can remember is the story about the guy who found the AF15 in a box in the junkyard school bus. 

:jokealert:   I love you, Glassman and you did sell at the right time with the right seller for the right reasons. 

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

Wish I could keep up with what AF15s got bought, pressed, regraded, reholdered, resold like some of you arm chair Sam Spades around here can. 

All I can remember is the story about the guy who found the AF15 in a box in the junkyard school bus. 

:jokealert:   I love you, Glassman and you did sell at the right time with the right seller for the right reasons. 

I wonder who sold Glassman's book? (shrug)

9 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

I wonder who sold Glassman's book? (shrug)

“Bromance” comes to mind. Someone said that. Made me laugh. Regardless,  I’m in Glassman’s corner all the way. The dude sold his AF15 for 50k ( I think. Not sure if it’s been mentioned before or not) in a 5.0 (I think. Not sure it it’s been mentioned before or not) when a 5.0 now sells for 32k. 

Glassman, I got your back. These jealous wanna be AF15 collectors around here give you a problem, I will fight them. You used your AF15 (5.0?) sale money (50k?)  for your sons house down payment ( I think, not sure). I bet you’re one cool dad!! B|

Edited by NoMan

26 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Anyone wish to elaborate on the story?   Hopefully it'll tie us up until the next round of auctions in 3 months.

It seems to me, if I post about every three months on the subject, particularly in this moment about a comment regarding a sale of a 5.0 for 33K, that the general move is to attack the numbers, and then the reference to the sales mechanism which was decidedly not an auction house to some one who well may not have been aware of the transaction Most of you are dealers, I'm not. Storrms was the only one who contacted me, drove 300 plus miles, spent the night and bought 900 plus books I collected over several decades.  I would imagine that doesn't make you all look that good in that none of you deemed it a worthy contact. Not a one of you. 

I can deal with that smallness and I will admit that posting the sales price was perhaps inappropriate since Bob did so damn well but, you all post prices hourly or so it seems. You dwell in miniscule details. My comment was directed to an individual who I think may not have seen those numbers. I won't repeat them here isince it causes all of you such pain.  Riidicule is a   great cover for for incompetence.  Since I'm not in the trade of selling comics , it matters little to me. Storms continues to do a great job, a discomfort for many of you.  

Yes , No  man, that was indeed was me. I made the great mistake of posting how great the performance was by a dealer who sold it.  Apparently that causes a great deal of pain for some.  I kept my Journey into Mystery because , simply put, I love the series and don't need the money at all.  I would hope you eventually have a find like the one I had so long ago. My crime was simply loving the comics and when selling, placing them in good hands. 

Thanks Bob. 

2 hours ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:
7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Sorry for the digression, but back to the topic on hand:

ama12.647a.jpg

Anybody else here think the purchaser made an astute and very timely purchase here at $598K while the AF 15 market is a tad soft and this purchase will look like a steal once the heat of the market cycles back to the Spidey books?  hm

WTF, don't you realize these are the CGC boards we are on here.  :gossip:

It's got absolutely nothing at all to do with the book.  It's all about THE LABEL and nothing else matters.  :makepoint:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, Glassman10 said:

It seems to me, if I post about every three months on the subject, particularly in this moment about a comment regarding a sale of a 5.0 for 33K, that the general move is to attack the numbers, and then the reference to the sales mechanism which was decidedly not an auction house to some one who well may not have been aware of the transaction Most of you are dealers, I'm not. Storrms was the only one who contacted me, drove 300 plus miles, spent the night and bought 900 plus books I collected over several decades.  I would imagine that doesn't make you all look that good in that none of you deemed it a worthy contact. Not a one of you. 

I gave all my money to Bob Storms when I put my raw/unpressed HG X-Men run together. I'm saving up more money to give to him to put another X-men run together. If I give all my money to Bob Storms, how can I give you any? As I've said, you seem like a super cool guy. I'd spend the night with you, too. 

I can deal with that smallness and I will admit that posting the sales price was perhaps inappropriate since Bob did so damn well but, you all post prices hourly or so it seems. You dwell in miniscule details. My comment was directed to an individual who I think may not have seen those numbers. I won't repeat them here isince it causes all of you such pain.  Riidicule is a   great cover for for incompetence.  Since I'm not in the trade of selling comics , it matters little to me. Storms continues to do a great job, a discomfort for many of you.  

See above comment: I spend my money with Storms because he does a great job. No discomfort to me. Maybe my wife, not for me.  

Yes , No  man, that was indeed was me. I made the great mistake of posting how great the performance was by a dealer who sold it.  Apparently that causes a great deal of pain for some.  I kept my Journey into Mystery because , simply put, I love the series and don't need the money at all.  I would hope you eventually have a find like the one I had so long ago. My crime was simply loving the comics and when selling, placing them in good hands. 

Thanks Bob. 

I don't find ever good comics, anywhere. Thrift stores, estate sales, junk yards. Never not once. 

My crime was selling my original childhood collection to pay for a film. I take that back. It was an amazing experience making a film. I just had to sell my collection to pay for the final answer print. I only regret is wondering what became of the 50 Dazzler #1s and the Avengers #172, the first comic my dad (RIP) ever bought me. Why did I sell that one?

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

WTF, don't you realize these are the CGC boards we are on here.  :gossip:

It's got absolutely nothing at all to do with the book.  It's all about THE LABEL and nothing else matters.  :makepoint:  lol

I'm a simple man. You guys speak in riddles. One day I'll understand.

6 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

I held my AF 15 for fifty years and considered selling it at various times when the economy was in the tank and I needed money. The first time would have brought about $80.00, a great figure because it would not motivate me to do it. Another recession hit around 1980 and again, the books were all out there for sale.  I can count a number more and after each one, the book spiked more. Since then, and never really having the mechanism to sell easily since I lived in the middle of nowhere and dealers were not all that common, I kept holding it and then forgetting about it as other ways of getting cash presented themselves. It wasn't really until I turned around as an old man and realized that no good could really come of keeping the whole collection. With the help of my son,and Bob Storms, we valued it out and I obtained an excellent price for the 5.0 I had.  It strikes me now, after over a year since that sale that the market indeed is flat and it is indeed true that the book simply keeps showing up, suggesting there are more of them than might be estimated.  While I can't speak at all for high grade books, I can see how many 4.5-5.5 books are on the market and the market is speaking by not investing in what may be an economic  glut.

$33.500 is a ton less than I got for my AF15  5.0 two years back if that's a suggestion that the market is strong. 

Maybe I'm dead wrong but people don't buy in a nervous economy. They preserve their capital waiting for value. We've been in an expansion now for over ten years but Spidey stalled about two years back for the most part in common stock. Mint will always pull a premium if dollars are valued as little as they seem to be.  My bet would be to wait to buy when the bubble bursts and not before.  

I've postponed my light bill to buy comics when I was younger. :bigsmile: So in a nervous economy I'd probably break out a Spidey & Ock story and suck on a lemon tootsie pop (yeah they had lemon in my younger days).

34 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I gave all my money to Bob Storms when I put my raw/unpressed HG X-Men run together. I'm saving up more money to give to him to put another X-men run together. If I give all my money to Bob Storms, how can I give you any? As I've said, you seem like a super cool guy. I'd spend the night with you, too. 

See above comment: I spend my money with Storms because he does a great job. No discomfort to me. Maybe my wife, not for me.  

I don't find ever good comics, anywhere. Thrift stores, estate sales, junk yards. Never not once. 

My crime was selling my original childhood collection to pay for a film. I take that back. It was an amazing experience making a film. I just had to sell my collection to pay for the final answer print. I only regret is wondering what became of the 50 Dazzler #1s and the Avengers #172, the first comic my dad (RIP) ever bought me. Why did I sell that one?

I gave away an avengers #4 to put this in perspective .  A few days back, I got a call from a woman with a bunch of western comics, all .10 centers.  I'm looking at them late in the week. I really don't sell comics. If her stuff has any value, she'll get it.  Never let your art be your job. 

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Didn't CGC basically tried to leave the impression with the collecting base that they were grading by the standards of the day back then.  (shrug)   Like you said though and to which I fully agree with, they never ever did go into any of the specific details so that they could not  be held to anything per se.  (thumbsu

They said they graded according to Overstreet but then Overstreet interpretations changed over time as well.

Most people don't even know what Overstreet grading standards are but they argue CGC grading standards.

Do people realize that the older the book the larger the defect allowed in the same grade for some defects? People accuse CGC of grading books according to their age but don't realize that this practice was started by Overstreet from the beginning.

And grading in general has been evolving ever since a standard was introduced decades ago.

It has to as more and more interpretation is needed as dollar values rise.

the comic book doctors were taking books apart and then putting them back together before selling them to an unsuspecting collecting base without any disclosure at all.  I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this point since you think all of that  stuff was good to go back in those days.  meh

You're conflating things.

Pressing to me is and has always been irrelevant. But poor pressing is ugly but it's also easy to catch if you know how to grade books.

But disassembly is not what we were discussing and is an entirely different animal so I don't understand why you're interjecting it into the conversation.

But did you know that Overstreet considers replacing staples OK in some grades and some ages and doesn't consider it restoration?

Most people don't. :wink:

Actually, the only reason why I was comparing pressing and micro-trimming is that I thought your rationale to support pressing was rather silly.  Your 2 points for saying that pressing was alright was that:  1)  it was economically viable to do due to the increased value of books in today's marketplace; and  2) it was done in the past prior to CGC opening their doors.  Well, the exact same 2 factors would also apply to micro-trimming, but this does not make it a valid practice in the hobby.  Now, your current point about quantitative changes to the book is definitely a much more valid argument for pressing vis-a-vis micro-trimming and something which I could agree with.

It wasn't my rationale to support pressing.

It was my rationale to explain why pressing wasn't done as much in the past and is much more prolific today.

My 'support' for pressing if you want to call it that (although I would prefer to just say I'm not opposed to it) is that it's innocuous and benign when done properly.

I don't care if a book was pressed.

Edited by VintageComics

3 hours ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Or, it was a 9.2 book sitting in a 9.0 holder originally. (shrug)

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Don't remember anything at all about the copy that your had sold as I assume it must have gone under the radar here.  maybe we need a bit of a reminder.  lol

Seriously though, the comic book market has always tended to move in cycles over time.  The Spidey market was definitely hot a couple of years ago and since that time, the heat seems to have move back to the Fantastic Four market which had been in the deep freeze for the longest while.  It will eventually cycle back to Spidey once the FF's and some of the other Marvel books does a little bit of catch up to Spidey's rocker like performance over the past few years.  hm  :taptaptap:

As for the nervous economy and collectors not buying right now.  Definitely not the case here if you look at some of the astounding prices that somce of the HTF GA books and classic covers are fetching in today's marketplace.  Needless to say, the records just keeps on coming for these types of books across the entire condition spectrum.  :whatthe:  (thumbsu

This is especially true for ASM 1-20 in 9.0+ - these books continue to set new records seemingly every week.