• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

Unfortunately GPA doesn't show scans of the book so ugly copies influence the market just as much as good copies can.  Wouldn't that be useful to a subscriber if that were done?  Imagine being able to look at the book yourself and make the determination if the price makes sense versus guessing.

Probably would save a lot of "GPA versus asking price" arguments if the two parties involved were both comparing the copy for sale versus the copy that the data is reported on.  The more data that both parties bring to the negotiating table the better.

I'll even GIVE George the revenue incentive to doing this.  Charge a premium ($1-$2) month) for this type of "additional" data. 

George,  please make the check out to Highgradecomics.com for the idea.

Edited by blazingbob

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Yeah ugly looking for a 5.0, so price seems to be justified because of that.  Does not compare to the 4.5 copy at auction right now on ebay.

I agree. I wouldn’t be surprised if that 4.5 sells for close, if not more, than what that 5.0 chipped copy went for in auction. 

When we had mine graded, it had a sinlge chip on the cover, offwhite pages and no stains. At that time there were people who thought it would bring as low as a 3.5. It did gert a 5.0 and did well.

I fail to see the point of the board if all it is is a back slapping operation with no critique. My take is that grading is ofter inconsistent. If that copy were mine, I'd never chance cracking the slab and resubmitting.

10 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

your upper cover looks similar and doesn't have the right hand chipping. The wrap is far better on yours. The corners look decent. Does it have issues on the back cover or interior?

Not sure what's on the inside (I bought it slabbed). Here is what the back cover looks like:

AF_15_B.jpeg

41 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Your copy is straight fire JJ.  A beauty! Doubt there is anything wrong on the inside or it would likely be noted on the label if something major.

This is a crack-press-re-sub if I ever saw one......certainly upgradeable to at least a 5.0, which is why it would easily sell for 32K+ in auction.

So I would never post who sent me this but I ha e yo tell you thhis just 

On 7/31/2019 at 8:47 PM, Frank Mozz said:

Just a typical marvel chipping AF 15 & imo it looks like every other AF 15 ( and there a lot fo them) with chipping no better or worse than most. Over all its was a solid buy. Would a non chipping 5.0 have done better I am sure. However at that price the buyer did just fine. I am not slamming anyone but I just think sometimes we get caught up in our own small bubble here & its easy to forget what this book or any big book like this might mean to someone, 32k is still a lot money to a lot of people myself included & honestley if I came here and read some of the posts I would feel like s#it & never come back.  If your on the boards congrats, I know a lot of collectors that would be proud to add your book to their collection as you own one of the most desirable and historically important comics in our hobby.

So I would NEVER post who PMed me this but it really should hit home with some people on this board, yes buy the book not the grade but also look for the best copy YOU can afford & while I am not in anyway trying to call anyone out I would suggest in the future to maybe be a little more reserved on you personal opinions one mans ugly book is anothers grail

Here is the pm I got & honestley it really sucks to make any fellow collector feel that way imo

"So I was actually the one who won that recent eBay auction on the Af15 5.0.   I read all those posts about how but ugly the book looked  and agonizingly ended up canceling the transaction last night.  I actually thought it was a pretty good price as well below GPA, but all those comments scared me. Kinda wish you had commented on it yesterday, probably would have leaned in my decision to keep it.  Instead of cancelling. Oh well.  

But yeah I was kind of harsh all those comments and obviously a non-chipped copy would go for higher. " 

I am not the comic post police but damn I understand why anyone would feel like s#it after reading some of the posts here & IMHO thats not what we should be about. I thiink we can all agree there are a 1000 better ways to have give your opinion on the book while also respecting that somone just spent 32k on what may be there dream book, just my 2 cents.............................I mean its an AF15 5.0 ( chipping be damned) & like I said a lot of people would be proud to add this to their collection.

Edited by Frank Mozz

That's a shame.  People here, not surprisingly given that it's the CGC message board, get hung up on the numerical grades of comics.  How a book looks overall and how much it cost are the longstanding criteria collectors have used since well before CGC opened its doors in making buying decisions.  It wasn't that long ago that the longboxes of major national dealers were filled with books that were priced, but not even assigned a specific grade.  "What grade is this copy?"  "It's the $80 grade."  Back then, and still today, it's especially enjoyable to look at two or three different copies of the same issue side by side, where there's the opportunity to weigh the prices and overall appearances and decide on the one that suits you best.

Long story short, AF15s with a given cgc grade are going to cover a wide range of appearances and have diverse sets of flaws.  Some people don't like chipping but can tolerate edge tears and large creases.  Others would prefer chips to large creases or rusted staples.  Still others focus on the whiteness preservation of the cover stock and the richness of the colors. Then others seek out examples with great looking interior pages.  Chipped examples may look less attractive, but they're also typically much cheaper, and so should probably be compared with unchipped copies with lower numerical grades.  

There's a price and appearance for everybody who can afford one, when a comic is this common.

Edited by namisgr

22 hours ago, fishbone said:

Got to be internal issues, how can this be only 4.5 ?!  CGC certainly is tough on SA

It's a gorgeous example for the grade, but looks fairly graded to me.  With the front cover top edge, spine and bottom right corner, and what appear on the back cover to be a very small piece missing and a possible left edge cover tear and clear small tears along the spine, one can argue that the assigned grade is spot on.

Edited by namisgr

On 7/31/2019 at 5:47 PM, Frank Mozz said:

Just a typical marvel chipping AF 15 & imo it looks like every other AF 15 ( and there a lot fo them) with chipping no better or worse than most. Over all its was a solid buy. Would a non chipping 5.0 have done better I am sure. However at that price the buyer did just fine. I am not slamming anyone but I just think sometimes we get caught up in our own small bubble here & its easy to forget what this book or any big book like this might mean to someone, 32k is still a lot money to a lot of people myself included & honestley if I came here and read some of the posts I would feel like s#it & never come back.  If your on the boards congrats, I know a lot of collectors that would be proud to add your book to their collection as you own one of the most desirable and historically important comics in our hobby.

wonderful post, sir and welcome. we are all like drug addicts with ocd in a way (OCD is awful as it doesn't let you enjoy anything)and often forget they are just comics and take us back to a happier time and place. Great story and art is a plus. While in the hospital in some fairly bad pain that no medicine would manage I would just look at covers of old comics from the 70s and such and it took much of the pain away.

Someone read and read and read and loved this comic. Now someone new owns it. Until it's handed off again.

Edited by NoMan

On 8/3/2019 at 8:07 AM, Frank Mozz said:

So I would never post who sent me this but I ha e yo tell you thhis just 

So I would NEVER post who PMed me this but it really should hit home with some people on this board, yes buy the book not the grade but also look for the best copy YOU can afford & while I am not in anyway trying to call anyone out I would suggest in the future to maybe be a little more reserved on you personal opinions one mans ugly book is anothers grail

Here is the pm I got & honestley it really sucks to make any fellow collector feel that way imo

"So I was actually the one who won that recent eBay auction on the Af15 5.0.   I read all those posts about how but ugly the book looked  and agonizingly ended up canceling the transaction last night.  I actually thought it was a pretty good price as well below GPA, but all those comments scared me. Kinda wish you had commented on it yesterday, probably would have leaned in my decision to keep it.  Instead of cancelling. Oh well.  

But yeah I was kind of harsh all those comments and obviously a non-chipped copy would go for higher. " 

I am not the comic post police but damn I understand why anyone would feel like s#it after reading some of the posts here & IMHO thats not what we should be about. I thiink we can all agree there are a 1000 better ways to have give your opinion on the book while also respecting that somone just spent 32k on what may be there dream book, just my 2 cents.............................I mean its an AF15 5.0 ( chipping be damned) & like I said a lot of people would be proud to add this to their collection.

It's kind of interesting that I too got an email from the person who bought that 5.0 and it indeed was me that suggested it was overgraded. I haven't changed that opinion but the email I got thanked me for the observations that I made. I'm not going to reprint the note but it seems to me that the buyer wanted to play more than one side of that particular fence. I don't think thaat the condition represents a typical 5.0 given the number of 5.0's I have seen. That's my opinion. 

It does look to me that the 4.5 in question may have a 3/4 inch tear on the back cover and that would reduce the grade. Beyond that, I still think it to be the better copy.

If one is buying the book because they want to own the book and not flip it, that's one thing but if one is buying the book and gets a lower price because of condition in its  potential grading , that's quite another. While the book initially went for 32K, the market is clearly not hot right now and it might be rather difficult to realize a profit in a resale. So, I think it depends a lot on motive and 32K is still a lot of money..  If it has a 5.0 at this point, I don't think a resubmission would improve the grade and could actually lower it. I think Bob Storm's observation's about the book and the grade are worth noting. 

Edited by Glassman10

35 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

It's kind of interesting that I too got an email from the person who bought that 5.0 and it indeed was me that suggested it was overgraded. I haven't changed that opinion but the email I got thanked me for the observations that I made. I'm not going to reprint the note but it seems to me that the buyer wanted to play more than one side of that particular fence. I don't think thaat the condition represents a typical 5.0 given the number of 5.0's I have seen. That's my opinion. 

It does look to me that the 4.5 in question may have a 3/4 inch tear on the back cover and that would reduce the grade. Beyond that, I still think it to be the better copy.

If one is buying the book because they want to own the book and not flip it, that's one thing but if one is buying the book and gets a lower price because of condition in its  potential grading , that's quite another. While the book initially went for 32K, the market is clearly not hot right now and it might be rather difficult to realize a profit in a resale. So, I think it depends a lot on motive and 32K is still a lot of money..  If it has a 5.0 at this point, I don't think a resubmission would improve the grade and could actually lower it. I think Bob Storm's observation's about the book and the grade are worth noting. 

I 100% agree while this may not have been an instand flip book in the current market I think we would all agree that having this 5.0 (or any AF 15 for that matter)  in ones collection is a pretty solid book to own over the long haul. However, the point of my posts were not which book was better looking vs grade but more on the initial over all negativity about that particular book. I mean honestley if we are now at the point where some of us look at any AF15 with chipping as  " less than"  more than half of the ones I have seen over the past 3 decades are in trouble  as are many of the ones I have seen that are owned by collectors here on these very boards my self included. ( Maybe we should have a new color on CGC for books with no chipping? lol )