• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 360racer said:

I started collecting in this hobby for the past 8 years and I’m astonished at how much the collection is now worth! I’d rather invest it in the comics I bought rather than buying another property. Comics went up a lot more 😱

Can you build a 2 story house on an AF15? hm

On 8/2/2019 at 8:03 AM, fishbone said:
On 8/1/2019 at 10:50 PM, jjfversion1 said:

Not sure what's on the inside (I bought it slabbed). Here is what the back cover looks like:

AF_15_B.jpeg

Got to be internal issues, how can this be only 4.5 ?!  CGC certainly is tough on SA

Yes, the back cover definitely presents much better than a 4.5 graded copy.  (thumbsu

The major defects with this copy though are clearly evident in terms of the front cover and this is probably why the book came in at only a 4.5 grade.  

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/3/2019 at 6:11 AM, namisgr said:
On 8/2/2019 at 8:03 AM, fishbone said:

Got to be internal issues, how can this be only 4.5 ?!  CGC certainly is tough on SA

It's a gorgeous example for the grade, but looks fairly graded to me.  With the front cover top edge, spine and bottom right corner, and what appear on the back cover to be a very small piece missing and a possible left edge cover tear and clear small tears along the spine, one can argue that the assigned grade is spot on.

+1

Without the benefit of having the book in hand, I am also in full agreement that this book "appears" to be fairly graded for a CGC 4.5 graded copy, especially in light of the aformentioned visual defects on the front cover.  (thumbsu

On 8/5/2019 at 1:23 PM, drbanner said:

Ignores is a strong word. MC is considered a "production defect" that doesn't get discounted as harshly as a post-production defect (i.e., some kid tearing off a small corner of an AF 15 to throw his gum away).

I don't see this being much different than a bindery chip.  A chip along any front edge will knock the grade down more than bindery chip of the same size.

53 minutes ago, 234wallst said:

I don't see this being much different than a bindery chip.  A chip along any front edge will knock the grade down more than bindery chip of the same size.

I know, doesn't make much sense does it? :screwy:

On 8/15/2019 at 10:28 PM, piper said:

This is what I posted 10+ years ago...

I won the 3.5. My max bid was $4057...  lol and wasn't willing to pay a cent more.  :sumo:

It will be interesting to see how that price holds up over time, but since I have no plans to ever sell it... (shrug)

Don't get me wrong ... I'm not sure when/if I will, but I think I'm probably more open-minded about letting it go eventually. The discussion was somewhat prompted by the fact my father-in-law is beginning to sell much of his lifelong signature collection. He knows I know a little bit about collecting, but not in the same lane. So ... he can pass the collection along, but should we ever want to sell it, we won't be able to maximize the sale of it. So, he's selling off anything from people where we have no personal affinity. 

In the same vein, are the kids really going to know what to do with the comics if they don't end up collecting? On the other hand, would they know what to do with a condo down in Florida on the beach? :P Plus, if we sell my collection off in 10-15 years, we can get a lot of good use out of said condo even before we retire. 

On 9/5/2019 at 6:30 PM, rsouxlja7 said:

Wow, would not be happy if I was the seller. 

I wouldn't be happy selling much on Heritage.

Buyer spent almost 11.5k for the book (which is what its now worth) - and seller gets 9 and change.... but grats to all!