• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2019 at 7:45 AM, GAMBIT said:

I wouldn't be happy selling much on Heritage.

Buyer spent almost 11.5k for the book (which is what its now worth) - and seller gets 9 and change.... but grats to all!

I see this as an outlier as much as the $50K for the 5.0 a few years ago .. that's just too cheap. Must have been a really poor presenting book...but still

13 minutes ago, Primetime said:

6.5 seems to be the ceiling grade (on an otherwise nicer book) for a chipped book. I, personally, think the ceiling grade should be 5.0 

It depends on how much a book is chipped.

ST107TC-4.JPG.a8c3c61315001211e05f17ca724d25bd.JPG

15 minutes ago, namisgr said:

It depends on how much a book is chipped.

Agreed.  But the thing about chipping that drives my OCD crazy is feeling like even when encapsulated, and even when the chipping is minimal, how many more of those little suckers are still trying to separate from the cover. They do it when I’m trying to sleep

8 minutes ago, Primetime said:

agreed. I guess I was referring to full length chipping. 

It still depends on the severity of the chipping and the paper loss even when it's full length, like it is here along almost the entire right edge as well as part of the top edge:

JIM90.jpg.49834487dcd1a926e3fd42ba5f903533.jpg

Edited by namisgr

I simply don't see any consistency on the grade vs the chipping on Marvels from 1962-63. I witnessed the chip coming off the AF15 I owned  and it really popped off of there. The interior pages were better quality than the cover paper although this book had no other chipping, It was a 5.0. I still have a JIM 84 with a cover that seems to be decaying and the chipping is more substantial along the bottom . It is raw as are all of my remaining books. The interior pages on it are more tanned.  I persuse it far more carefully but based on the covers front and back, it's really difficult to evaluate the thing. 

What I would like to see would be a service by CGC where they allowed you to bring a slabbed book into their facility ( not send it) and allowed you to crack that slab for inspection with them present so you could see the contents page by page and photograph it. They would charge a fee and in turn would agree to reslab that book after inspection at the same number. I recognize that many people could not do that but, "so What?". If a comic book is going to sell for five and six figures, there should be some better methodology for determining condition than what currently exists.  Not all Marvel books from 1962-63 chipped. Why?

13 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

What I would like to see would be a service by CGC where they allowed you to bring a slabbed book into their facility ( not send it) and allowed you to crack that slab for inspection with them present so you could see the contents page by page and photograph it. They would charge a fee and in turn would agree to reslab that book after inspection at the same number.

I so would do that.  I have a grail that was encapsulated 15 years ago, and the grader notes reflect “lite foxing”.  CGC has reassured me in writing that, once encapsulated, the foxing stops in its tracks, but I would personally fly the book to Florida and pay for the privilege of watching while they opened it, then closed it back up with the same grade.

HEY CGC! ARE YOU LISTENING?

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost