• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, peewee22 said:

Can anyone say "what a sooper dooper copy!!!!". Geez we've lost touch as collectors. :p

How do we know it's a "sooper dooper copy?" It's f-ing entombed in plastic. How out of touch with collecting comic books does one have to be to willingly encase them in plastic to begin with, to never to be able to gaze at the other 40 pages again?

Edited by NoMan

42 minutes ago, NoMan said:

How do we know it's a "sooper dooper copy?" It's f-ing entombed in plastic. How out of touch with collecting comic books does one have to be to willingly encase them in plastic to begin with, to never to be able to gaze at the other 40 pages again?

As a self imposed rule, I haven't bashed any members since I had a run in with SC22, but I do find that you have been overly critical and negative in both AF threads. I feel the nature of this thread should be left to everyone's love of this book and leave all the negative thoughts to the AF falling thread.

The 9.4 IS a sooper doper copy that I'm sure very AF lover would love to own. (Even if there are flaws that some don't love)

And lastly every AF 15 lover knows there are 32 pages and not 40 :gossip:

Edited by Jordysnordy

11 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

As a self imposed rule, I haven't bashed any members since I had a run in with SC22, but I do find that you have been overly critical and negative in both AF threads. I feel the nature of this thread should be left to everyone's love of this book and leave all the negative thoughts to the AF falling thread.

The 9.4 IS a sooper doper copy that I'm sure very AF lover would love to own. (Even if there are flaws that some don't love)

I see two pages. Front Cover, Back Cover. If comics are gonna be encased in plastic so someone can't admire those other 32 original pages or whatever than they're probably gonna be viewed as investments so no one need be surprised when that very thing happens. 

Edited by NoMan

48 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Pretty damn sure this is a sooper dooper copy. I trust CGC to at least hit the target, maybe not the bullseye.

5 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Pretty damn sure this is a sooper dooper copy. I trust CGC to at least hit the target, maybe not the bullseye.

point remains and I'm pretty sure there's a couple of surprises out there if you crack open that plastic, but hey, the cover sure looks nice. And generally that's the state of collecting today.

Edited by NoMan

22 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Are we allowed to wonder about the provenance of the book in this thread, or is that too negative?

Edited by NoMan

15 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Pretty damn sure this is a sooper dooper copy.( Cause of the restoration? Sorry I mean pressing) I trust CGC (because they probably pressed it) to at least hit the target, maybe not the bullseye.

Pretty damn sure this is a sooper dooper copy.( Cause of the restoration? Sorry, I mean pressing and cleaning) I trust CGC to at least hit the target, (because they probably pressed it) maybe not the bullseye. 

Just now, NoMan said:

Pretty damn sure this is a sooper dooper copy.( Cause of the restoration? Sorry, I mean pressing and cleaning) I trust CGC to at least hit the target, (because they probably pressed it) maybe not the bullseye. 

I think you are over analyzing this book. It's a 9.4 for a reason. Bright colors, clean grays, nice pages, etc. Very few of these are available in the collector's market. (thumbsu 

58 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Having seen this book raw and being in Las Vegas with John and Matt going over the collection this is the Torpedo 9.4 copy.

I have pics of it raw.  

Heritage scan is not doing it justice.  It is not a crack and resubmit.  It is not a crack out 9.2.  This was a raw very very nice 9.4 that came to market in the collection he bought.

Thanks, Bob.

See now I have an interesting bit of info from someone who knows a thing or two about comics and knows a thing or two about the book that's currently up for sale. I wouldn't know what bob just told me if I had kept it at "This book is so super you guys let's have a circle jerk!"

As far as my comments about the precious AF15 in whatever thread whomever is talking about, it's a schtick. As in comedy. If you view it as negativity that's on you with perhaps  you worrying  your copy of AF15 will lose money, which sounds like something a true collector wouldn't worry about.

Not to bash other members, however, how about a moratorium on what question/comments makes someone a true collector?

Edited by NoMan

5 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Thanks, Bob.

See now I have an interesting bit of info from someone who knows a thing or two about comics and knows a thing or two about the book that's currently up for sale. I wouldn't know what bob just told me if I had kept it at "This book is so super you guys let's have a circle jerk!"

As far as my negativity about the precious AF15 in whatever thread whomever is talking about, it's a schtick. Don't like it, move on. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

4 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Thanks, Bob.

As far as my negativity about the precious AF15 in whatever thread whomever is talking about, it's a schtick. Don't like it, move on. 

Like we told you the book is an outstanding copy. Many of us collectors know a thing or two about comics, too. We don't need confirmation that this book is nice. The eye appeal is telling. It is nice to hear it was a raw 9.4 and simply slabbed.

3 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Like we told you the book is an outstanding copy. Many of us collectors know a thing or two about comics, too. We don't need confirmation that this book is nice. The eye appeal is telling. It is nice to hear it was a raw 9.4 and simply slabbed.

Which was revealed because I asked.

1 minute ago, peewee22 said:

And as most of us know...  A Storms 9.4 is everyone else' 9.6 (and mile high's 10.5).

27 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

I know you know about comics. I knew this was (is) a nice copy before saying a word. I didn't need confirmation either. I asked about where it came from basically and you made a comment quoting me (basically) about what a true comic collector thinks about and, seemingly, none of the questions I had a true comic collector would ever consider. That had me respond that these things are now trapped in plastic and only the front and back page are visible and because of that (In my opinion) they have been reduced to investments trying (perhaps unsuccessfully) to make the point that that's the antithesis of true collecting.

Yeah, dude, I know it's a nice copy.

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Serious question.  Why are you here if you don't like the books or the slabs they're in?

Or should we just ignore this post because tomorrow you're going to tell us you were posting drunk again?

I don't drink. Ever. Like I said, that was a comedy bit. If you find the post(s) I said that in you'll see it's so silly it's hard to think someone would take it seriously. But here you are. I'm conflicted by slabs. I do believe in the coming years/decades there's gonna be some "surprises" in them. Anyways, I'll be the first to admit that slabs are an odd phenomenon.  What bothers you so? I came and asked a simple questions about the 9.4 for sale, was accused by someone (they quoted me) acting holy than thou that I "lost touch as a collector" meaning I wasn't any real serious collector. I've admitted all my posts in the "AF15 is falling thread" (which was not started by me so gee I guess someone else thinks it's flatlined ) was all in good fun and just pulling everyone's leg because it's so funny watching the "AF15 is equal to the Gutenberg Bible" crowd get in such a tizzy. No f-ing duh that everything in life fluctuates, AF15, too. Your comment about me saying I don't "liking the books" does that mean you're saying I said don't like AF15? Show me where I've said that. I could own one for all you know. 

Serious statement/request: I couldn't care less if you ignore this post, my future posts, my past posts, any posts. In fact why don't you just do that. Best for everyone.

Edited by NoMan

I personally think it's one of the finest copies that has been on the Boards in awhile. Eye popping colors, ultra clean grays, premium quality PQ, etc. Bob's comments on the history makes it that much more special. I cannot even fathom what it will fetch. We can argue all day about what's wrong with it, what grade it shoulda coulda been, but it has achieved the Big 3 grade plateau (9.4, 9.6, 9.8). That's all that matters, really. 2c..

Edited by peewee22

8 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

I personally think it's one of the finest copies that has been on the Boards in awhile. Eye popping colors, ultra clean grays, premium quality PQ, etc. Bob's comments on the history was very helpful. I cannot even fathom what it will fetch. We can argue all day about what's wrong with it, what grade it shoulda coulda been, but it has achieved the Big 3 grade plateau (9.4, 9.6, 9.8). That's all that matters, really. 2c..

indeed it is nice, espescially now that we know Bob has seen ever single page. I'd ask what someone thinks it will fetch but I don't feel like getting jumped all over. Besides I have to leave to go see Daniel Lanois' new band.

Edited by NoMan