• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,479 posts in this topic

BUMP! 

THIS THREAD MUST STAY ATOP OF ALL THREADS IN ALL OF  COMICDOM OR IT'S OVER AS WE KNOW IT!

Seriously! This is no joke. Major dealers are starting to get worried. 

Edited by NoMan

On 10/25/2019 at 8:03 PM, NoMan said:

well there's an AF15  coming to a CC  auction starting monday 10/22 ending in December:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=855235

It's an 8.0. AF15's on the decline, sales are flattening as collectors are moving on to other "big" books. I say it sells for around 100k to 125k. Cream to OW. Graded 3/30/12. Might not even break 100K, unless you feel as though it's crackable to flatten it some more and get a 9.0 and get that sticker that says it's extra good. That sticker is good for resale! Then you can flip it and maybe get 135K and get some variants like that ASM 667.

last AF 15 7.5 sold for 150K in August this year amidst the price decline.  The 8.0 will most likely hit 200k mark or close to it

On 11/10/2019 at 5:53 PM, lou_fine said:

Whenever I see a book like this that's clearly been overgraded if you factor in the extensive and clearly visible Marvel chipping defects, it seems absolutely ridiculous that they would ignore something so obtrusive.  :screwy:

Yet, on the other hand, they would apply a battering ram to the grade of a beautifully presenting perfect looking book that has a tiny near invisible NCB crease that can only be seen by holding the book up at a certain angle to the light.  :censored:  :mad:

You're exaggerating a bit on both points.

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:
On 11/10/2019 at 2:53 PM, lou_fine said:

Whenever I see a book like this that's clearly been overgraded if you factor in the extensive and clearly visible Marvel chipping defects, it seems absolutely ridiculous that they would ignore something so obtrusive.  :screwy:

Yet, on the other hand, they would apply a battering ram to the grade of a beautifully presenting perfect looking book that has a tiny near invisible NCB crease that can only be seen by holding the book up at a certain angle to the light.  :censored:  :mad:

You're exaggerating a bit on both points.

Well, maybe just a tiny tiny bit on the second point in an attempt to make a statement.  (thumbsu

Definitely nowhere close to your huge understatement with respect to my first point though.  I highly doubt you would find another book from any other era including the GA that would be graded as a CGC 6.5 with that much missing paper from the front cover.  :p

For example, take a look at this relatively nicely presenting CGC 6.5 graded comic:

gre2.5675a.jpg

and even a blind person would be able to tell you which CGC 6.5 graded book has far superior eye appeal.  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

5 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Maybe this copy up for sale in the February HA auction will get us talking about how great this book is and not all the doom and gloom about collapsing prices.

96C1FFF1-7F71-441A-A26B-DFF6D2350F97.jpeg

Only if it happens to set a record price for this grade, otherwise, the doom and gloom just might go on a bit longer.  

Not sure if this particular copy will be able to set a record price though, considering the visual appearance of the book, especially along the top edge and upper portion of the spine, does not seem to line up with the assigned grade.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Only if it happens to set a record price for this grade, otherwise, the doom and gloom just might go on a bit longer.  

Not sure if this particular copy will be able to set a record price though, considering the visual appearance of the book, especially along the top edge and upper portion of the spine, does not seem to line up with the assigned grade.  (shrug)

The tiny flaws along the top edge, IMHO, are easily acceptable for a 9.4.  I can't tell if what I see along the upper spine (below the 12-cent circle) is on the book, on the case, or a trick of the light.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:
8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The tiny flaws along the top edge, IMHO, are easily acceptable for a 9.4.  I can't tell if what I see along the upper spine (below the 12-cent circle) is on the book, on the case, or a trick of the light.

If you guys are talking about the change of color in the brown along the spine, that is a problem with Heritage's imaging system and this is a very common scanner artifact that happens on many of their books (and has for years).

I remember many years ago calling Heritage to ask if the scanner artifact was actually on the book or not during an auction.

Personally, I've always believed that it's unacceptable especially for a book of any real value, but it's been like that for years. I'm surprised Heritage hasn't addressed this yet.

14 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Maybe this copy up for sale in the February HA auction will get us talking about how great this book is and not all the doom and gloom about collapsing prices.

96C1FFF1-7F71-441A-A26B-DFF6D2350F97.jpeg

Wonder if this is the Torpedo Comics copy they recently acquired in a big collection......or something like that. Or somebodies immediately attempting to flip the Blast Off Comics owner’s copy. I’m on my phone and don’t feel like looking up serial#s. 

or is it a crack and resub?

or is it true new to market?

EDIT: I can’t even find it on the Heritage site.  My brain hurts. 
Too many AF15s to keep it straight. There needs to be less AF15s.  Like maybe 7 copies or something like that. 

Edited by NoMan

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

Wonder if this is the Torpedo Comics copy they recently acquired in a big collection......or something like that. Or somebodies immediately attempting to flip the Blast Off Comics owner’s copy. I’m on my phone and don’t feel like looking up serial#s. 

or is it a crack and resub?

or is it true new to market?

EDIT: I can’t even find it on the Heritage site.  My brain hurts. 
Too many AF15s to keep it straight. There needs to be less AF15s.  Like maybe 7 copies or something like that. 

Can anyone say "what a sooper dooper copy!!!!". Geez we've lost touch as collectors. :p