• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

We'll see how it goes for the 9.4 copy. Here are a few factors to consider:

1) there are around 6 copies (possibly more out there) in 9.4 and the pool of buyers looking to add one in their collection is very small

2) will there be new bidders entering? I have a feeling that a few of the bidders with deep pockets already have a copy they own so would result in less bidding perhaps.

3) let's face it, SA books have been down in value for the most part last year and early this year or stayed the same price range for the past few years which typically would translate to a lower hammer price. Who knows when it will pick up again. Now is more of a buyer's market.

27 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

1) there are around 6 copies (possibly more out there) in 9.4 and the pool of buyers looking to add one in their collection is very small

2) will there be new bidders entering? I have a feeling that a few of the bidders with deep pockets already have a copy they own so would result in less bidding perhaps.

3) let's face it, SA books have been down in value for the most part last year and early this year or stayed the same price range for the past few years which typically would translate to a lower hammer price. Who knows when it will pick up again. Now is more of a buyer's market.

:idea:

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

I'd add a fourth factor: the pages sticking out so much from the cover may dissuade some interested parties from bidding.

2 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

You do realize the bidding is already at $432 000 with 10 days left. The auction is open for bids and has been for a little while.

About all I realize is that one of my three cats all over the cat box for the third time in less then 1 hour.

man then the sales tax if you live somewhere HA is....

whomever  becomes (or remains) the President of the United States should pass legislation that no comic book can sell for more than $150,000.

Edited by NoMan

On 2/22/2020 at 3:40 PM, Dark Knight said:

I guess Torpedo wasn't sold on the offers for the book and just went the auction route.  Good luck to them!  Pages sticking out, likely pressed

I'm sure it was pressed before slabbing but I doubt that's why the pages are sticking out like that.  

In any event, that's a pretty soft 9.4.  Lots of spine stress and the pre-Marvel chipping at the top would keep me from grading that book a 9.4.  

21 hours ago, FFB said:
On 2/22/2020 at 6:40 PM, Dark Knight said:

I guess Torpedo wasn't sold on the offers for the book and just went the auction route.  Good luck to them!  Pages sticking out, likely pressed

I'm sure it was pressed before slabbing but I doubt that's why the pages are sticking out like that.  

Correct.

I don't know why people keep saying this.

I saw the book when the collection was raw and in the process of being purchased and the pages looked exactly the same.

It's a known fact that covers and interior pages change size over time as the paper dries and ages. And depending on how a book is stored shrinkage will vary.

This is the main reason interior pages protrude from the covers on most SA books.

Edited by VintageComics

15 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Correct.

I saw the book when the collection was raw and in the process of being purchased and the pages looked exactly the same.

It's a known fact that covers and interior pages change size over time as the paper dries and ages. And depending on how a book is stored shrinkage will vary.

This is the main reason interior pages protrude from the covers on most SA books.

So...is the book pressed or not?  :hi:

36 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

So...is the book pressed or not?  :hi:

I would absolutely assume the book was pressed. You'd have to ask John to be sure (although I believe it did go through CCS I can't say for sure).

15 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Whether the book was pressed or not, I've already have it programmed in my head that a graded book was already pressed unless it's in a 1st generation early holder.

15 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Happy most of my key books are in those types of CGC holders.

I thought pressing existed before CGC but not as popular as it is now? so wouldn't those books still have a chance to have been pressed and cleaned?

On 2/23/2020 at 1:29 PM, mysterio said:

Miswraps are common on AF #15, front to back with the A and 12 cent circle wrapping around the spine. 

(shrug)

AF15front.thumb.jpg.cb76f16323980f16ac4aef7737b880bd.jpg

And one (of many) without the pages sticking out from an old label slab, despite the front to back cover miswrap:

dvogSx.jpg&key=811e4d40ede21d079bd5759e5

Edited by namisgr

On 2/24/2020 at 5:56 PM, VintageComics said:

Because for a large proportion of early Silver Age Marvels, after pressing the pages stick out (or stick out more) beyond the covers where they didn't before being pressed.  Many also carry other stigmata of pressing, including 'starched collar' top cover edges, counterclockwise twists in cover registration, impacted staples, and fuzzy paper around the staples.

Don't believe it?  There's the visuals of a slew of early SA Marvel books that have gone through the crack-press-resub cycle with public and private records of before and after scans.  Plenty of examples have been shown on the Boards before.  Then there's the visual record of a number of pedigrees, many of which were obtained in the days before CGC existed.  Of the Pacific Coast, Curator, Massachusetts, White Mountain, Boston, Winnipeg, and Northland early SA Marvels, how many had pages sticking out from their covers when they were raw?  Very few to nil, depending on the collection.  But it's a different story now that they've all been pressed and slabbed.

If sellers of early SA Marvels were forthcoming with their experiences with pressing in general and different pressers in particular, we'd know even better the problems that occur on occasion after pressing and the identity of certain pressers who are linked with problems more often.

Edited by namisgr