• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

On 7/9/2020 at 9:32 PM, gadzukes said:

I wanted to say "At least the spine looks great" but then I zoomed in and saw a color breaking crease that goes up almost the entire spine.  I'm sorry, but when you add the MC, that might be the worst 6.0 I've ever seen.

My 4.0 almost looks better.

P1100419.JPG

This is going to be a tough book to upgrade....it’s such a sweet looking book and a perfect example of buy the book and not the grade....congrats 

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

^ Really no need to upgrade with a copy looking like that

The "upgrade" might be a resubmission.  I've thought seriously about it.  It sure looks better than any 4.0 I've ever seen.  I had Matt screen it for me and he thought it had "white pages" too.

Edited by gadzukes

18 hours ago, gadzukes said:

The "upgrade" might be a resubmission.  I've thought seriously about it.  It sure looks better than any 4.0 I've ever seen.  I had Matt screen it for me and he thought it had "white pages" too.

Folks, that is just the cover of your 4.0.  Remember, before the slabbing craze, people actually cared about the condition of the entire book!  I assume that is what is reflected by the 6.0 grade achieved by the recent 6.0 book that sold at Heritage for $48K despite extensive MC.  The non-cover/structural integrity aspects of the book (extent of stains, tears, or creases, and other issues to interior covers and pages, condition of staple areas, etc) likely justified a 6.0 grade.   

By the same token, there were likely non-cover-related reasons for your book receiving a 4.0.  But even your nice-looking cover,  I notice at least one but apparently three tears on your front cover's top edge -- an at least 1/3" tear, plus to right of that a 1/4 inch tear and a 1/8" tear.   I also see a water stain on the bottom front cover, and I've read grade takes a big hit for water stains.  If that was not enough to make your book's grade a 4.0, then it was likely the non-cover characteristics.    

If only CGC could "slab" a book in way that allowed opening and seeing the interior....I expect that would address much of the "mystery" surrounding the grades.    

For folks that crack open slabs anyway, they might care more about the book being a 6.0 structurally than 4.0 eye candy, since they have access to the whole book and enjoy the eye candy from within too, not just without.   Just sayin.   No need to judge the purchaser of that 6.0 without knowing the condition of the rest of the book, for which he paid a discounted price anyway (6.0s have been going for 55K recently).  In short, the 48K for that book looks like a good deal all things considered.   

Wow...editing b/c further inquiry shows that a 6.0 reflects top 13.4% of the CGC census for blue/universal AF15 slabs!    Top 13.4%!   A 4.0... "only" top 40.7%.   That alone justifies the $48K paid for the recent Heritage 6.0 even w/ extensive MC, and like a I said, even suggests a good--if not very good--deal for an almost 60-year-old book with that structural integrity.        

Edited by Pantodude
grammar

25 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Folks, that is just the cover of your 4.0.  Remember, before the slabbing craze, people actually cared about the condition of the entire book!  I assume that is what is reflected by the 6.0 grade achieved by the recent 6.0 book that sold at Heritage for $48K despite extensive MC.  The non-cover/structural integrity aspects of the book (extent of stains, tears, or creases, and other issues to interior covers and pages, condition of staple areas, etc) likely justified a 6.0 grade.   By the same token, there were likely non-cover-related reasons for your book receiving a 4.0.  But even your nice-looking cover,  I notice at least one but apparently three tears on your front cover's top edge -- an at least 1/3" tear, plus to right of that a 1/4 inch tear and a 1/8" tear.   I also see a water stain on the bottom front cover, and I've read grade takes a big hit for water stains.  If that was not enough to make your book's grade a 4.0, then it was likely the non-cover characteristics.     If only CGC could "slab" a book in way that allowed opening and seeing the interior....I expect that would address much of the "mystery" surrounding the grades.    

For folks that crack open slabs anyway, they might care more about the book being a 6.0 structurally than 4.0 eye candy, since they have access to the whole book and enjoy the eye candy from within too, not just without.   Just sayin.   No need to judge the purchaser of that 6.0 without knowing the condition of the rest of the book, for which he paid a discounted price anyway (6.0s have been going for 55K recently).  In short, the 48K for that book looks like a good deal all things considered.        

Just drink the Kool-Aid, Bro.

20 hours ago, gadzukes said:
21 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

^ Really no need to upgrade with a copy looking like that

Edited 20 hours ago by gadzukes

Gotcha!  Worth a shot I guess, what's there to lose.  If anything, the bottom stain and the crease line at Spidey's left leg (not sure how far up it goes) may be the factors that placed this book in the 4.0 holder.  If you're lucky enough, I think a 5.0 grade might be the highest it can go. Good luck! Hope it works out for ya!

Edited by Dark Knight

22 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Do you think all (or most) of those defects are due to scraping off color touch?  Even the long vertical-ish lines going through Spidey himself?

4 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Do you think all (or most) of those defects are due to scraping off color touch?  Even the long vertical-ish lines going through Spidey himself?

Absolutely!  It even created small holes which went way too far and beyond my understanding of color touch removal.  If it would cause this much damage, it shouldn't be done.

46 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Precisely!   If the seller was the one who allowed this book to be damaged by removal of the color touch solely for the prospect of increasing resale value,  it looks like he got burned.  Might I add deservedly so?   Even a purple 3.0 goes for around 10-11K, but this book sold for $6,900 total.  So he likely would have sold the color-touched book for much more, especially if it had an apparent grade of 5.0 or more.  Because of the obvious disregard for the inevitable damage to a vintage book, does this mean folks should never try to remove color touch?   I mean, don't color touch, but once done, for the love of all that is holy and great, don't intentionally damage the book further!   But I also refer to what looks like a penalty in the form of much lower resale value for a book damaged due to CT removal as opposed to something else, e.g., rodent nibbling, tears, water damage etc.   

While I agree with you for the most part, this auction still has 4 days left so it may still sell for more than $6900. I am curious to see what the hammer price is....

Edited by jjfversion1

51 minutes ago, jjfversion1 said:

While I agree with you for the most part, this auction still has 4 days left so it may still sell for more than $6900. I am curious to see what the hammer price is....

Ah....I goofed...thought it was a done deal, which to me would have suggested a penalty.   So strike the implicit assumption of my original statement above.  I too am curious at the result.   $7K would have been too harsh a penalty, and arguably a geat deal for the purely spec-oriented.  The book is special regardless and may yet garner a 3.0 blue price, especially as it looks okay.  It does look presentable!  Because most folks grade books as they find them, arguably this legit blue 3.0 should garner a blue 3.0 price, potentially subject to further adjustments up or down for any of the many reasons folks haggle on final prices of any book.   Some folks could reasonbly prefer this book's appearance over one that has other issues warranting the 3.0.   Like I said, this book is rather nice-looking for the grade, although some folks prefer to avoid this book's issues, like some avoid CT to begin with.    

Edited by Pantodude

On 6/14/2020 at 1:54 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

So I was advised two ways of pursuing the AF 15

1. Continue to buy blue chip books ie. ASM 2,3,13,14,101,129

IH 181

And trade for AF 15

2. Save up my money for 3 yrs and buy it outright

What do you think the best route is?

Imo first route would be hard because I would have to let go of a bulk of my collection to fund the trade

Second route, God forbid if anything happened in the 3 yrs we would have liquid funds to cover it and if nothing did then in 3 yrs we would have the money to get the book. Also the problem with this route is I won't be able to collect any books in that span

I can tell you what I did, I saved the money aside and bought the book sometimes if a good deal comes by grab it up

2 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Precisely!   If the seller was the one who allowed this book to be damaged by removal of the color touch solely for the prospect of increasing resale value,  it looks like he got burned.  Might I add deservedly so?   Even a purple 3.0 goes for around 10-11K, but this book sold for $6,900 total.  So he likely would have sold the color-touched book for much more, especially if it had an apparent grade of 5.0 or more.  Because of the obvious disregard for the inevitable damage to a vintage book, does this mean folks should never try to remove color touch?   I mean, don't color touch, but once done, for the love of all that is holy and great, don't intentionally damage the book further just to remove it!   But I also refer to what looks like a penalty in the form of much lower resale value for a book damaged due to CT removal as opposed to something else, e.g., rodent nibbling, tears, etc., that could have resulted in the book looking the exact same way today.     

I think it’s really a case by case scenario for some for me I don’t mind light or small resto but when it becomes very heavily done it makes me think about it 

1 hour ago, Krismusic said:

I think it’s really a case by case scenario for some for me I don’t mind light or small resto but when it becomes very heavily done it makes me think about it 

I hear ya.  Ultimately, if the price is right...then it is!    It's a balancing act, and it's all okay.   Todd McFarlane has many (i think predominantly) restored books in his collection, including an AF15, and they all looked nice.  McFarlane!   So who am I to judge.   Just try to be nice to books.  Cuz they have been nice to us.  :)  I mean, GRRR!

Edited by Pantodude

On 7/15/2020 at 4:44 PM, jjfversion1 said:

15,000.   Both buyer/seller could (should?) be happy.

Edited by Pantodude