• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

I believe I started this thread posting about CGC having a disclaimer for reholdering that you have to agree to that takes liability away from them for any potential damage that may occur for the reholdering.  I was thinking of reholdering my AF15 cgc 3.5 to have the new Spidey city label, but def not now.  Not worth the risk

On 5/9/2020 at 7:36 AM, www.alexgross.com said:

there are also numerous allegations of heritage playing games with final sale prices around the collector community.

Well, I guess we shouldn't be too surprised based upon the rather dubious pair of characters heading up HA and some of Heritage's rather questionable auction practices in some of their other collectible markets which they have dealt in.  :(

Any chance that the CGC 9.8 graded copy of TMNT 1 auction result last summer at the humongous outlying price of $90K when all the previous high water marks for this book was only in the mid to high $30K's would be a perfect example of this.  Certainly helped to jumped the CGC 9.8 TMNT 1 market up above the $50K mark immediately and then you have this exact same $90K copy selling a few short months after that for only $59K through CC.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Any chance that this very high profile $90K HA sale was one of the driving forces in pushing the CGC 9.8 graded TMNT 1 market into what would now be the $60K+ price point and as a result, lifting all other prints of this entire TMNT 1 into the irrational exuberant and almost out of control market that we now have. (shrug)

If so, definitely a perfectly timed and executed play using a high profile high dollar value book with ample copies in grade along with various reprint versions out there that can easily drive the entire early TMNT marketplace upwards.  :devil:  (tsk)

Edited by lou_fine

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess we shouldn't be too surprised based upon the rather dubious pair of characters heading up HA and some of Heritage's rather questionable auction practices in some of their other collectible markets which they have dealt in.  :(

Any chance that the CGC 9.8 graded copy of TMNT 1 auction result last summer at the humongous outlying price of $90K when all the previous high water marks for this book was only in the mid to high $30K's would be a perfect example of this.  Certainly helped to jumped the CGC 9.8 TMNT 1 market up above the $50K mark immediately and then you have this exact same $90K copy selling a few short months after that for only $59K through CC.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Any chance that this very high profile $90K HA sale was one of the driving forces in pushing the CGC 9.8 graded TMNT 1 market into what would now be the $60K+ price point and as a result, lifting all other prints of this entire TMNT 1 into the irrational exuberant and almost out of control market that we now have.  If so, definitely a perfectly timed and executed play.  :devil:

This is what happened with AF 15 in the summer and fall of 2017.

13 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

This is what happened with AF 15 in the summer and fall of 2017.

If so, AF 15 would be another perfect book to used in a play like this due simply to the ample number of copies that are around at all condition levels which makes it just so much easier to mmanipulate a marketplace.  :devil:

Unlike the $90K TMNT 1 record setter which ended up reselling through another auction house at a substantially lower price point, was there evidence of this happening with any of the AF 15 copies that were sold at then record prices at the time?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

If so, AF 15 would be another perfect book to used in a play like this due simply to the ample number of copies that are around at all condition levels which makes it just so much easier to mmanipulate a marketplace.  :devil:

Unlike the $90K TMNT 1 record setter which ended up reselling through another auction house at a substantially lower price point, was there evidence of this happening with any of the AF 15 copies that were sold at then record prices at the time?  hm

all i know is that back in may of this year a nice looking 4.5 AF15 sold at HA for 66k, about double market value. nothing has come close since then. but i am not aware of that same book being offered since. 

41 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

all i know is that back in may of this year a nice looking 4.5 AF15 sold at HA for 66k, about double market value. nothing has come close since then. but i am not aware of that same book being offered since. 

Well, if this very obvious outlier of a sale was planned and done intentionally in order to either stop or hopefully reversed the negative trajectory of the AF 15 market that had taken place over the past several months, I would have to say it would be another one that was timed and exected perfectly.  As clearly evident from some of the more recent auction results that we have seen with respect to the AF 15 offerings over the past few months. (shrug)

I was actaully thinking you was referring back to a few years ago where the relatively HG end of the AF 15 marketplace moved rapidly in a couple of short years from just under the $100K price point and into the $400K to $600K+ price point depending upon the grade of the book.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

though there are ample copies of AF15 out there, the number of mid grade books with no chipping and OW or better page quality is not so ample. having watched all CL suctions for several years now, it has been shocking how few nice looking 3.5- 5.0 books have come up at auction. i would go so far as to venture that at least half of all books in that grade range have chipping and/ or cream pages, which noticeably lessens the value of a book when compared with one with no chipping and ow or better page quality. 

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

though there are ample copies of AF15 out there, the number of mid grade books with no chipping and OW or better page quality is not so ample. having watched all CL suctions for several years now, it has been shocking how few nice looking 3.5- 5.0 books have come up at auction. i would go so far as to venture that at least half of all books in that grade range have chipping and/ or cream pages, which noticeably lessens the value of a book when compared with one with no chipping and ow or better page quality. 

When it comes to possible manipulation of the marketplace, it's probably not so defined as a book in a particular grade or a book with particular types of defects.  :gossip:

It's really probably a lot more general than that and more in the sense of changing the market sentiment and perception of a book on an more overall basis regardless of either the grade and/or the particulat type of defect.  After all, improved sentiment along with a rising tide tends to lift all boats in the water.  hm  (thumbsu

On 9/17/2020 at 3:54 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

For me I would not take the risk of shipping anything over $2500 I could not take the loss if the item was lost or stolen on the way there or on the way back to me. Just not worth it.

I sent my restored Action 1 and Tec 27 for reholdering (in new holders) - I just claimed insanity and held my breath for the couple weeks it took to go from Canada to Florida and back by Fedex - thank God it all worked out, but I was so stupid to risk it 

44 minutes ago, fishbone said:

I sent my restored Action 1 and Tec 27 for reholdering (in new holders) - I just claimed insanity and held my breath for the couple weeks it took to go from Canada to Florida and back by Fedex - thank God it all worked out, but I was so stupid to risk it 

Can you post pictures? I would love to see them.