• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Cushing Fan said:

Yeah a remainder above a .5????

The other thing is that seller seems to be attracting some crazy buyers right now, you can't imagine how fast people buy 5 figure books on there just from flashing them on screen during live auctions. I saw a book a week or two ago sell for almost double the going rate (not a super hot book mind you) with cream pages. Not C-OW. Straight cream. 

9 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Apparently, the sale did not complete.  The book was re-listed, for more this time (almost $59K!).      

Standard practice for that seller.

15 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

It was graded by CBCS, which could explain its grade. I agree that it wouldn't receive a grade of 1.0 from CGC. The CGC 0.5 I sold you had the bottom third of the cover torn off, which is far more unusual than having the top third of the cover 

Any truth to what I heard years ago that shop owners would rip off the (mostly) top section of a comic's front cover before returning unsold issues to the distributor?

7 hours ago, Cushing Fan said:

Any truth to what I heard years ago that shop owners would rip off the (mostly) top section of a comic's front cover before returning unsold issues to the distributor?

If I remember correctly, the publishers did not want the shop owners to return the entire comic, probably due to shipping costs and storage. So, the publishers told the shop owners to just tear off the top 1/3 of the cover, and return it rather than the entire comic. Next, the shop owner was supposed to destroy any excess issues on his/her accord.

Based on how many remaindered issues we see, it's clear that the shop owners were not diligent about destroying copies.

45 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

If I remember correctly, the publishers did not want the shop owners to return the entire comic, probably due to shipping costs and storage. So, the publishers told the shop owners to just tear off the top 1/3 of the cover, and return it rather than the entire comic. Next, the shop owner was supposed to destroy any excess issues on his/her accord.

Based on how many remaindered issues we see, it's clear that the shop owners were not diligent about destroying copies.

Tear off 1/3 of an AF15 cover on unsold copies? :whatthe:

2 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

Yep, that's similar to what I heard many years ago.  My father, who was a comic collector as a kid and had all the early first Marvel superhero appearances,  remembers an old woman who would buy all the local kids used comics for 2 cents a book. My dad kept his comics but of course his mother threw them out years later.

10 minutes ago, Cushing Fan said:

Yep, that's similar to what I heard many years ago.  My father, who was a comic collector as a kid and had all the early first Marvel superhero appearances,  remembers an old woman who would buy all the local kids used comics for 2 cents a book. My dad kept his comics but of course his mother threw them out years later.

Yes this is correct. It is still done in the publishing industry, paperbacks for instance are stripped of the covers and sent in for credit, freight costs kill both sides so the covers are the currency.

2 hours ago, PKJ said:

This is pretty close to an ATH already. It certainly is business in the front party in the back.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/909148

Hammer price $35,000.  New record for a 3.0

Consider.... on November 1st, just 5 months ago, this grade sold for $14,700. 

Edited by gadzukes