• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,479 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Hammer price $35,000.  New record for a 3.0

Consider.... on November 1st, just 5 months ago, this grade sold for $14,700. 

:foryou:

Admittedly, that 14k price is a bit of an outlier? Back then, my asking price for a 3.0 if I were selling, would have been approximately 20k. Of course, I have no plans to sell my copy...

8 hours ago, piper said:

:foryou:

Admittedly, that 14k price is a bit of an outlier? Back then, my asking price for a 3.0 if I were selling, would have been approximately 20k. Of course, I have no plans to sell my copy...

agreed- i also find huge variation amongst 3.0-4.0 copies in terms of marvel chipping and other unsightly issues. that can really affect hammer price on books at auction. still, af15 is clearly catching fire now at last. the upcoming CL auction has one of the nicest looking 4.0 copies i've seen. i expect hammer to be around 50k, maybe more.

1 hour ago, alexgross.com said:

agreed- i also find huge variation amongst 3.0-4.0 copies in terms of marvel chipping and other unsightly issues. that can really affect hammer price on books at auction. still, af15 is clearly catching fire now at last. the upcoming CL auction has one of the nicest looking 4.0 copies i've seen. i expect hammer to be around 50k, maybe more.

I'll be watching that 4.0 with interest, as I have an AF 15 in that grade myself.  These days, you have to follow everything if you want to keep up with the prices...one new sale not listed on GPA, etc., could affect everything.

5 hours ago, alexgross.com said:

There is a huge variation in prices for chipping on this book. it's possible its even more of a factor than page quality. i for one, would buy a lesser quality PQ than one with chipping. thoughts?

5 hours ago, alexgross.com said:

I've been following the recent listings and I thought the 3.0 on Comic Connect was a very nice copy for the grade. No chipping and strong colors. I put it at $30K easily and it went for $35K. Way beyond my budget but it was interesting to watch the snipe fest at the end. 

On 4/8/2021 at 7:51 AM, PKJ said:

I started back  traveling for work about 2 months ago, I will say in 8 weeks the airports have went from ghost towns to pre covid levels so I think in certain parts of the country that is already happening. TSA throughput has been tracking close to 65% of 2019 numbers ( I could possibly own airline stocks so I may watch that closer than I should). For example, 4-7-2021 had 1.2m Travelers against 94K for 2020 same day. If this vertex is going to happen it is fairly close already.

I'm more interested in the cars in your avatar.

Is that a 911 (RS - no way :whatthe: ) a 348 and an M3?

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I'm more interested in the cars in your avatar.

Is that a 911 (RS - no way :whatthe: ) a 348 and an M3?

Ha, correct on the 348tb and M3. The Porsche is a 1980 that I built with my son 15 years ago. It is backdated with 73 parts and does have RS decals so a clone in that aspect, but a super light and fun car. 911 is the most fun to drive the Ferrari is just a different animal all together. I am partial to European cars.

IMG_2431.JPG

in garage.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_3438.JPG

7 hours ago, PKJ said:

Ha, correct on the 348tb and M3. The Porsche is a 1980 that I built with my son 15 years ago. It is backdated with 73 parts and does have RS decals so a clone in that aspect, but a super light and fun car. 911 is the most fun to drive the Ferrari is just a different animal all together. I am partial to European cars.

IMG_2431.JPG

in garage.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_3438.JPG

Amazing. I've been a Porsche fanatic since the early 80's, used to work for Porsche (along with a slew of other exotic car shops) and have loved the 911RS since then so it caught my eye.

I've only ever seen maybe 2 or 3 ever in real life. Saw one in a parking lot in about 1987 at a grocery store I worked on and one at an Auto show 2 years ago.

Yep, 911s are scary fun to drive. Loud, obnoxious and the toughest of all exotic cars to drive but so rewarding. It's the automobile version of a bumble bee - it shouldn't work because of the way it's designed but it does!

The 348 is probably much more tame and balanced to drive.

The fender flares on the M3 were ground breaking at the time when that car came out. The Audi Turbo Quattro GT and the M3 had them and I used to dream about making my VW Scirocco looked flared out like those cars.

I almost bought an Audi Quattro GT back in the late 80's but I was a little too young and too poor to afford the $20K price tag back in the day.

Gorgeous cars that flooded me with memories and sent me back in time when I saw your avatar. Glad you're enjoying them with your son.

BTW, that AF #15 CGC 7.5 in the last Heritage auction went for a steal @ $156K. Someone is going to be very happy with that win.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

BTW, that AF #15 CGC 7.5 in the last Heritage auction went for a steal @ $156K. Someone is going to be very happy with that win.

Gorgeous book but the chipping and spine wear probably kept the price down a little.

CE52380E-75BA-4478-BF5A-717AD24CFC68.jpeg

F8F5F129-A909-41E7-91FD-82BAA0918BCF.jpeg

06852028-707B-4803-85D7-88F8008A0E0E.jpeg

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Amazing. I've been a Porsche fanatic since the early 80's, used to work for Porsche (along with a slew of other exotic car shops) and have loved the 911RS since then so it caught my eye.

I've only ever seen maybe 2 or 3 ever in real life. Saw one in a parking lot in about 1987 at a grocery store I worked on and one at an Auto show 2 years ago.

Yep, 911s are scary fun to drive. Loud, obnoxious and the toughest of all exotic cars to drive but so rewarding. It's the automobile version of a bumble bee - it shouldn't work because of the way it's designed but it does!

The 348 is probably much more tame and balanced to drive. 

The fender flares on the M3 were ground breaking at the time when that car came out. The Audi Turbo Quattro GT and the M3 had them and I used to dream about making my VW Scirocco looked flared out like those cars.

I almost bought an Audi Quattro GT back in the late 80's but I was a little too young and too poor to afford the $20K price tag back in the day.

Gorgeous cars that flooded me with memories and sent me back in time when I saw your avatar. Glad you're enjoying them with your son.

Thank you, I have owned several 911's over the years. When they were not so expensive I had 3 at one time, I turned 16 in 1990 so you can see my taste in cars sorta stuck in that era. Loved the Quattro as well myself and had looked for one until they got insanely priced. 

21 hours ago, Lpgk said:

There is a huge variation in prices for chipping on this book. it's possible its even more of a factor than page quality. i for one, would buy a lesser quality PQ than one with chipping. thoughts?

Agree.  Lesser PQ (other than brittle) over MC every time.  As harsh as they are on some defects, I think they aren’t harsh enough on MC.  

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

Agree.  Lesser PQ (other than brittle) over MC every time.  As harsh as they are on some defects, I think they aren’t harsh enough on MC.  

I hear you.

Simply put, MC = pieces missing from the book (regardless of how it occurred).