• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

It's safe to say that there have been several recent sales of AF15 in a variety of grades that have exceeded the highest sale prices for those grades recorded by GPA.

While I don't doubt you, how do derive this information?

I sold one of them for a price that crushed the GPA-recorded high, and learned from the dealer to whom I consigned it that several other sales had done so, too.

It's safe to say that there have been several recent sales of AF15 in a variety of grades that have exceeded the highest sale prices for those grades recorded by GPA.

Several dealers reported extremely strong prices at SDCC. The current heritage auction has a GPA busting 5.5 on it as well.

-J.

It will be interesting to see where it finishes and also the 7.5 on CC that starts tomorrow.

Several dealers reported extremely strong prices at SDCC. The current heritage auction has a GPA busting 5.5 on it as well.

-J.

It will be interesting to see where it finishes and also the 7.5 on CC that starts tomorrow.

So then what do people think the lag will be for GPA to catch-up?

What would you consider FMV by grade..:

1.5- $5-6K

1.8- $5-7K

2.0- $6-8K

2.5- $7-9K

3.0- $8-11K

3.5- $9-12K

4.0- $10-14K

4.5- $13-17K

5.0- $15-20K

5.5- $15-21K

6.0- $19-25K

6.5- $27-32K

-J.

So then what do you think the lag will be for GPA to catch-up?

FYI - dealers always report strong prices on key books...

I think GPA only catches up on this (and certain other SA super keys) when/if the market softens or stagnates a little and/or they become more comprehensive in whom they accept sales data from.

-J.

-J.

So then what do people think the lag will be for GPA to catch-up?

What would you consider FMV by grade..:

1.5- $5-6K

1.8- $5-7K

2.0- $6-8K

2.5- $7-9K

3.0- $8-11K

3.5- $9-12K

4.0- $10-14K

4.5- $13-17K

5.0- $15-20K

5.5- $15-21K

6.0- $19-25K

6.5- $27-32K

I can't speak to all of these grades but I know for a fact that nice presenting 0.5's have gone for just about $5k on comic link (not reported by GPA) and a boardie here got $34k for his 6.5 (also, not reported). Plus there is a 5.5 on heritage at just under 24k right now. That will be reported once the auction concludes. The prior GPA high in that grade is indicative of how far behind the curve GPA can be with certain books.

-J.

0.5- $2.5K

1.0- $3K

1.5- $4K

1.8- $4.5K

2.0- $5.5K

2.5- $6.5K

3.0- $7.5K

3.5- $9.5K

4.0- $10K

4.5- $12K

5.0- $15K

Until recently it was pretty easy to remember prices. Just double everything: E.g. a 1.5 would cost $3.333, a 2.0 would cost $4.444, a 3.0 would cost $6.666. This rough guide worked up until around 6.0.

Then it was double plus a bit.

Now it double plus a bit and then another bit...

S0... Thoughts?

What would you consider FMV by grade:

0.5- $2-5K

1.0- $3-5K

1.5- $5-6K

1.8- $5-7K

2.0- $6-8K

2.5- $7-9K

3.0- $8-11K

3.5- $9-12K

4.0- $10-14K

4.5- $13-17K

5.0- $15-20K

5.5- $15-25K

6.0- $20-28K

6.5- $27-35K

I think white paged copies with no Marvel chipping would command a premium outside of your ranges in many cases.

S0... Thoughts?

0.5- $2-5K

1.0- $3-5K

1.5- $5-6K

1.8- $5-7K

2.0- $6-8K

2.5- $7-9K

3.0- $8-11K

3.5- $9-12K

4.0- $10-14K

4.5- $13-17K

5.0- $15-20K

5.5- $15-25K

6.0- $20-28K

6.5- $27-35K

I think white paged copies with no Marvel chipping would command a premium outside of your ranges in many cases.

+ 1/2

I find the presence of Marvel chipping and the severity of it as it impacts in-slab eye appeal to be the single biggest detractor from prices nowadays, hitting copies even with "white pages" notation on the label. "White Pages" on the label and no Marvel chipping as a combo would likely get a premium, but is also a bit of a unicorn in the market. Even if present I don't think the market would yield much more than a 3-5% bump on a good day.

-J.

I sold one of them for a price that crushed the GPA-recorded high, and learned from the dealer to whom I consigned it that several other sales had done so, too.

I think the same thing is going on with Hulk 1. From what I can ascertain, many dealers are no longer reporting to GPA, on anything. Can't say I blame them. If they report, that just sets the bar higher for them to purchase. These are crazy times !

I think the same thing is going on with Hulk 1. From what I can ascertain, many dealers are no longer reporting to GPA, on anything. Can't say I blame them. If they report, that just sets the bar higher for them to purchase. These are crazy times !

Absolutely. The price rose so much that I couldn't help but sell my Hulk #1 in July as well. The dealer I consigned it to sold it for like 40% over the highest recorded GPA price in that grade. GPA is often a trailing indicator for hot comics.

What dealers used to report to GPA that no longer do? Do you have any evidence of this at all? Thanks

GPA is a tool and is an all or nothing proposition, so sellers can't pick and choose what they report. Therefore more and more GPA only reflects auctions and eBay. Its easy to use GPA as a guide but if you're pursuing desirable books and use GPA as the gospel, then its very likely that you're not going to place an accurate valuation on the book that you are looking for.

GPA is a tool and is an all or nothing proposition, so sellers can't pick and choose what they report. Therefore more and more GPA only reflects auctions and eBay. Its easy to use GPA as a guide but if you're pursuing desirable books and use GPA as the gospel, then its very likely that you're not going to place an accurate valuation on the book that you are looking for.

As opposed to just making it up entirely?

What is your alternative suggestion?

S0... Thoughts?

0.5- $2-5K

1.0- $3-5K

1.5- $5-6K

1.8- $5-7K

2.0- $6-8K

2.5- $7-9K

3.0- $8-11K

3.5- $9-12K

4.0- $10-14K

4.5- $13-17K

5.0- $15-20K

5.5- $15-25K

6.0- $20-28K

6.5- $27-35K

+ 1/2

I find the presence of Marvel chipping and the severity of it as it impacts in-slab eye appeal to be the single biggest detractor from prices nowadays, hitting copies even with "white pages" notation on the label. "White Pages" on the label and no Marvel chipping as a combo would likely get a premium, but is also a bit of a unicorn in the market. Even if present I don't think the market would yield much more than a 3-5% bump on a good day.

-J.

I agree in part. MC is a big detractor from value in many cases depending on the severity. However, there really is no shortage of copies with no MC in virtually any grade 2.5 or higher (feel free to check this club as proof).

However, I think paying a premium for WHITE pages is silly given its inconstancy. I understand if someone doesn't want LIGHT TAN or BRITTLE, but paying extra for it to say OFF-WHITE or WHITE is downright silly considering how loose the grading is...

To your point on the value though, I agree that more than a 5% bump would indicate that someone got bamboozled...