• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

The restored looked very nice btw.

Thanks fellas. It's a copy I'm surely proud to own, and one I thought I'd never get my hands on. Funny thing though. It's made me look at my books and collecting differently. I guess I'm forced too- forced to slow down in my buying lol It's also made me more patient, as I know most books are gettable again. Of course, you have to have that dough though!!

CBCS SS 8.5 = yuck on grade and hammer price.

That's really low. What did most people think the grade actually was? 7.5?

Yep, I have been scratching my head on this one too. Why didn't this book go for 100k+? 9.0s have exceeded 200k recently. So, one would think an 8.5 would be in the 115-140k range. Maybe the red label confused some folks?

As gadzukes mentioned, perhaps soft grading. The top front cover has some issues, but nothing extreme. To my eye, it is at least an 8.0.

Edited by Vision75

Yep, I have been scratching my head on this one too. Why didn't this book go for 100k+? 9.0s have exceeded 200k recently. So, one would think an 8.5 would be in the 115-140k range. Maybe the red label confused some folks?

As gadzukes mentioned, perhaps soft grading. The top front cover has some issues, but nothing extreme. To my eye, it is at least an 8.0.

+1

I also believe that it appears from the scan to be within the acceptable range of error when it comes to grading, even if it had been done by CGC. (thumbs u

Not sure if this is an indication that AF 15's are not the guaranteed bullet-proof winners they are supposed to be as this one looks like it sold for less than 70% of condition guide value. Especially when it was a signature copy which should have given an actual boost to its final price. Maybe a case of just too many copies available in the marketplace over the past few years. (shrug)

Does anybody remember what the buy-in rates were for AF 15 in various grades that Metro had so boldly advertised several months ago? Wonder if they would still be valid or subject to some change now? hm

The heritage 8.5 with extensive resto seemed to have done ok at $10k

Not sure why you think it did ok when it sold for only a tiny fraction (i.e. less than 9%) of its condition guide value. Especially when you compare it with Cap 3 or the Wonder Woman 4 which both sold for a premium over and above their full condition guide value, even with restoration work clearly identified on both of these books.

Interesting to note that the 6.0 EP restored copy of AF 15 ended up selling within shooting distance of the 8.5 slightly restored copy. I guess the degree of restoration was probably the key factor here. And it looks like the 9.6 NM+ restored copy either did not meet reserve or was withdrawn prior to the actual auction as it shows now as an Invalid Lot.

So, it looks like the AF 15's did not do so well in this auction, regardless of whether they were unrestored or restored. hm

That's your standard Voldemort 25% discount. (thumbs u

In all seriousness , the book looked over graded, had no "upgrade potential", had an unverified, "verified" signature with a weird red label and was in a CBCS slab.

A perfect storm for failure.

As for the restored copies. Who cares. That's a completely different market with seemingly its own set of rules from book to book even. But restored SA has been underperforming on many titles lately (like that Showcase 4 in the MCS auction).

-J.

Not sure why you think it did ok when it sold for only a tiny fraction (i.e. less than 9%) of its condition guide value. Especially when you compare it with Cap 3 or the Wonder Woman 4 which both sold for a premium over and above their full condition guide value, even with restoration work clearly identified on both of these books.

I guess I always assume the pre-resto grades for these extensive resto copies is 1.0-1.8. Those have all been selling under $8k. So $10k seemed ok. Not outstanding, but ok.

If this Af15 8.5 Extensive had a pre-resto grade of 3.0 or above then it did really bad,

I guess I always assume the pre-resto grades for these extensive resto copies is 1.0-1.8. Those have all been selling under $8k. So $10k seemed ok. Not outstanding, but ok.

If this Af15 8.5 Extensive had a pre-resto grade of 3.0 or above then it did really bad,

Not sure about most of the key SA books, but I thought the entry level low grade copies of AF 15 were selling for over their condition guide values. If this is the case, then there is no point in bothering to get the super low grade copies restored as you would end up losing money on them. (shrug)

I know that the entry level prices for key GA books or the classic cover books such as 'Tec 31, Action 13, and the likes are selling for huge multiples to their condition guide prices, even in 0.5 or 1.0 graded condition. :o

That's your standard Voldemort 25% discount. (thumbs u

In all seriousness , the book looked over graded, had no "upgrade potential", had an unverified, "verified" signature with a weird red label and was in a CBCS slab.

A perfect storm for failure.

As for the restored copies. Who cares. That's a completely different market with seemingly its own set of rules from book to book even. But restored SA has been underperforming on many titles lately (like that Showcase 4 in the MCS auction).

-J.

Jay is exactly right with his reasoning.

To think otherwise is foolish.

There IS a reason why Voldemort copies go for considerably less than CGC copies.

It takes a gambler with big melons to lay out 8.5/9.0 money on a Voldemort copy and then CPR it with the HOPE that it will come back a 7.5 or 8.0 with CGC.

That's your standard Voldemort 25% discount.

That's actually not a true statement.

There IS a reason why Voldemort copies go for considerably less than CGC copies.

They don't always. CGC prices vary as well. You never see GPA lows for CGC graded books?

It takes a gambler with big melons to lay out 8.5/9.0 money on a Voldemort copy and then CPR it with the HOPE that it will come back a 7.5 or 8.0 with CGC.

Nobody is going to lay out 8.5/9.0 money expecting a lower grade but just as it happens with almost books, CGC or not, people buy the book and not the label.

That's your standard Voldemort 25% discount.

That's actually not a true statement.

They don't always. CGC prices vary as well. You never see GPA lows for CGC graded books?

I didn't say always, but they usually do and there can be exceptions :foryou:

Nobody is going to lay out 8.5/9.0 money expecting a lower grade but just as it happens with almost books, CGC or not, people buy the book and not the label.

Very true but would you value a CGC 8.0 the same as a Voldemort 8.0? I don't think many would but there may be some who do.

Very true but would you value a CGC 8.0 the same as a Voldemort 8.0? I don't think many would but there may be some who do.

When I buy a book, I value it with the grade I would place on it, regardless of what the label says or who printed it.

I realize that I'm an above average grader but there are plenty of others that do the same.

And there are also plenty who don't care what the book looks like.

When I buy a book, I value it with the grade I would place on it, regardless of what the label says or who printed it.

I realize that I'm an above average grader but there are plenty of others that do the same.

Is it time to dig in or retreat?? :whee:

Do a little dance :banana: make a little love

Do a little dance :banana: make a little love

Buddy we will get down in September when I come visit :banana:

The Voldemort discount is real. To what extent may be debatable, but there is nothing resembling parity between CGC and CBCS books, whether some choose to accept that or not.

-J.

So let me understand this.

White pages do not command a premium according to you but CGC books automatically do.

When generalizations suit your point they are OK. When they don't they are not OK.

I just want to show your hypocrisy and why many people don't bother engaging with you any more.

I'll just disagree with your points and leave it at that.

I dunno, I think the voldy discount on bigger books is pretty real. I won that SC4 7.0 voldy from comic connect a few months back - its soooo much cheaper than these CGC prices. FYI the book looked way better in person - sometimes its hard to tell from the pics. I'd say that AF was an 8, and so whats gonna happen, this guy will get a blue with 'stan lee written in pen somewhere' and, if he decided to sell right away, flip and make a profit. but its all speculative until it's done. Maybe it was an 8.5. Maybe my SC4 was a 7. Maybe it doesn't even matter. But theres only one way to find out....

white pages no premium tho? He's buggin'.

CBCS has apparently tightened their grading considerably, or so it goes. The AF15 8.5 must have been graded a while back when they were gift grading everything and the kitchen sink.

The Voldemort discount is real. To what extent may be debatable, but there is nothing resembling parity between CGC and CBCS books, whether some choose to accept that or not.

-J.

So let me understand this.

White pages do not command a premium according to you but CGC books automatically do.

When generalizations suit your point they are OK. When they don't they are not OK.

I just want to show your hypocrisy and why many people don't bother engaging with you any more.

I'll just disagree with your points and leave it at that.

You are (as always) twisting what has actually been stated in the past, however irrelevant and off topic, to suit your agenda (or rather, whatever product you are attempting to sell at the moment).

Sufficeth to say, I (and many, many others) won't be paying you CGC slab prices for anything graded by Voldemort anytime soon. (thumbs u

Carry on.

-J.