• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,479 posts in this topic

On March 10, 2017 at 10:14 PM, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Glad you corrected me I do not want to affect the final hammer price if the book is all good.

I am, admittedly, predominantly a lurker on this chat forum, but I have read enough to have literally spit coffee when I saw this post. 

"Affect the final hammer price". 

My, this was certainly rich! Thank you for the good laugh, I really needed it. 

Edited by blockedshot

8 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

I agree, but for me playing the upgrade game is too risky.  But for someone from  california, i would bid higher on the cc copy b/c i wouldn't get taxed the 10 percent like the ha copy and zero interest for 6 months is nice.   That could easily swing the price $5k right there.  Maybe a normal 4.5 should go for $22k vs the $27k 

+1

Good point.  

-J.

Looking at the CC auction there is also a 5.0 copy that doesn't have the same eye appeal as the 4.5.  To me the 4.5 "looks" like a much better book.  The 5.0 is currently sitting at 29k.  So, to think that someone "feels" like the 4.5 copy isn't as good, or better, might not be such a stretch.  But, to think 5.0 copies are now in the 30k realm is truly baffling to me.  Makes me love my 6.0 copy all the more!  :luhv: :cloud9:

10 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

I agree, but for me playing the upgrade game is too risky.  But for someone from  california, i would bid higher on the cc copy b/c i wouldn't get taxed the 10 percent like the ha copy and zero interest for 6 months is nice.   That could easily swing the price $5k right there.  Maybe a normal 4.5 should go for $22k vs the $27k 

At the rate AF 15 increases in value, if you can buy one at FMV and have 6 months to pay for it at zero interest, once it's paid off you can probably flip it for an immediate profit so maybe this isn't such a bad strategy at all.

57 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

At the rate AF 15 increases in value, if you can buy one at FMV and have 6 months to pay for it at zero interest, once it's paid off you can probably flip it for an immediate profit so maybe this isn't such a bad strategy at all.

maybe

4 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

lol that's why I wrote maybe

that's why I agreed :smile:

but for how long this upward movement can be sustained, that's another big "maybe"

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

It's not a bad strategy if your a speculator comfortable with huge risk. A book of this magnitude does not fly under anyone's radar. A much less risky strategy is to find lesser books that are flying under the radar and you can purchase at a discount to gpa. Don't forget when it's your turn to sell it's also your turn to pay a commission. 

16 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

that's why I agreed :smile:

but for how long this upward movement can be sustained, that's another big "maybe"

Alright, for how long G.A.tor.? You're the Answer Man and I need answers. Thank you! B|

Just now, NoMan said:

Alright, for how long G.A.tor.? You're the Answer Man and I need answers. Thank you! B|

I believe af15 will continue to experience great demand, and for the time being, that will put upward pressure on prices...but, at some distant or not to distant point in the future, the natural cycle will require the book's pricing to stagnate or even depress...

31 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I believe af15 will continue to experience great demand, and for the time being, that will put upward pressure on prices...but, at some distant or not to distant point in the future, the natural cycle will require the book's pricing to stagnate or even depress...

Has there ever been a book (or other collectable) that has not been affected by the "natural cycle?" 

Thanks for having all the answers to life G.A.tor and tirelessly sharing it with others. ;)

I think to be fair, prices have soared in 5.0 and above. Specifically the 5.0-6.5 range with no chipping or big defects. Otherwise, those below really haven't moved that much (I think it was a natural progression to see a 2.0 jump from 4-5-6-8-to now to 10. It's those 7.0-7.5+ that have taken new flight. Naturally, as those grow like weeds the lower will follow, but I'd say the buy now- wait 6 months wouldn't work. You'd have to buy higher grade with no chipping at a good price (at least slightly below FMV or GPA) to be able to move it after 6 months with any significant profit. At least at this point. I know you guys know this, but the best scenario is buying the book because it's your Grail and watching it grow slowly and steadily. I'd say it's guaranteed to do that. Well, maybe lol It's just my opinion of course. 

I have been impressed with sales and it's been great to see Spidey soar!!!! 

18 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Do you think a 6 month zero interest payment plan causes someone to bid 40% or 50% over fair market value? I don't.

I think that some people think that this is an old label, a tightly graded copy and an upgrade candidate. That's the only explanation I can understand under the normal laws of valuation.

If people think that 4.5 copies are now worth $30K then I'm going to say that it's not healthy and the sky is about to start falling.

+1000

9 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I've sold multiple 4.5s for 20 and 22k in last 6 months. And I have the best of the 3 cgc 4.5s still available ...even I don't think a 4.5 is even a 25k book let alone 30+.  One sale does not a market make. Geesh. 

4.5-at $22k seems reasonable.  The 5.0s at $30k is also reasonable too

Perhaps this has been discussed before, the GPA for the Heritage 8.5 AF 15 Feburary 2017 sale is listed at $155,350 but the hammer price was $130,000. Why is the buyer's premium of $25,350 included in the GPA? Or is that standard to include buyer's premium in GPA

Seems like the book should be valued at 130k. 

I guess. What do I know.

17 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Perhaps this has been discussed before, the GPA for the Heritage 8.5 AF 15 Feburary 2017 sale is listed at $155,350 but the hammer price was $130,000. Why is the buyer's premium of $25,350 included in the GPA? Or is that standard to include buyer's premium in GPA

Seems like the book should be valued at 130k. 

I guess. What do I know.

The price is what someone willing to pay (including Buyer's Premium). When you place a bid in Heritage, it will display two prices: one for the bid price and the price with BP. The only thing GPA would not know is if the person had to pay states sales tax. I had books that I won that would registered higher, if my sales tax paid was input to the total.

8 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

The price is what someone willing to pay (including Buyer's Premium). When you place a bid in Heritage, it will display two prices: one for the bid price and the price with BP. The only thing GPA would not know is if the person had to pay states sales tax. I had books that I won that would registered higher, if my sales tax paid was input to the total.

ok. thanks. 

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Yeah Gator,  what are the books that you are no longer buying so that we know what to walk away from?