• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Way to move the goal posts.   

He isn't moving goal posts.

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

And no, that's not what happened. The price surge IN ALL GRADES began more than a year ago with the $450k+ sale more than a year ago. 

Uh, no.

If you're talking about the $450K 9.4 sale, that number was well expected by anyone who has been watching the market.

4 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

This isn't a popularity contest either. Try doing some research and bringing some facts. 

It's been explained and researched in detail in this thread.

It's not about popularity, it's about clarity and perspective, of which multiple opinions bring.

I think most people will agree that you're just plain wrong.

1 minute ago, drbanner said:

I don't always agree with you Roy, but you're spot on here.  (thumbsu

You don't even know what you're agreeing with. 

Unsupported conclusory statements that have no basis in either reality nor comport with common sense. 

No, two low to mid grade sales from a a couple months ago had anything to do with this.  

I'm genuinely surprised two such seemingly seasoned comic book vets would actually espouse something so obviously misguided as this.  

-J.

4 minutes ago, drbanner said:

I don't always agree with you Roy, but you're spot on here.  (thumbsu

I'd love to know where you've disagreed with me.  :devil:

via PM of course so that we don't derail this thread.

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

IMO it's a combination of low interest rates over nearly a decade, the fact that the general public now see AF #15 as a 'great investment' and 'right place, right time' as CC auctions broke out prices into the stratosphere.

What people don't factor in (and again, this is just my opinion) is that people wouldn't be buying multiple copies and storing them if it was simply for love of the character.

They also still wouldn't be doing it if interest rates were at 10%. I think maybe some people 'love' the character more now that an other times.  lol

37 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

You're the only one who thinks this.  

-J.

Not disagreeing or agreeing.  I see there are a lot of new money flowing into the vintage comic market. I have a buddy who would never spent over $100 on a book, but bought an AF15 3.0 from me last year before these spikes. He said the movies excited him about the vintage comic market and feels a great privilege to own the "First Appearance of Spiderman".

Edited by showcase22gr1959

23 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Here on this forum yes 95% of the time but that is the main fun I get from this forum discussing current sales. But outside of this forum no....never only with my brother that's it.....the rest of the people who I know don't even know we own the books we own I just talk about the heroes with them and the movies. I don't get much pleasure talking about those 2 things online I rather talk about them face to face in person with a fellow superhero junky....it's just more fun I find.

What we all don't get is how YOU don't get that we are tired of you repeating the same things over and over and over again (do you happen to have a copy of the sign that Jim Jones hung over his throne chair in Jonestown??). I'm sure I speak for many, it's no fun for us.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

He isn't moving goal posts.

Uh, no.

If you're talking about the $450K 9.4 sale, that number was well expected by anyone who has been watching the market.

It's been explained and researched in detail in this thread.

It's not about popularity, it's about clarity and perspective, of which multiple opinions bring.

I think most people will agree that you're just plain wrong.

The only resource you have cited is your own incorrect opinion.  And you've been wrong every time you have repeated it.  

-J.

At some point, one has to come to a certain degree of self-awareness and say "Self, either I am wrong on this, or every other single person is wrong on this." hm

2 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

The only resource you have cited is your own incorrect opinion.  And you've been wrong every time you have repeated it.  

-J.

Are you saying that I need explain why the $450K price was expected for the Heritage 9.4 to make my 'opinion' valid?

7 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Are you saying that I need explain why the $450K price was expected for the Heritage 9.4 to make my 'opinion' valid?

I am just curious why you think two mid grade sales from a couple months ago caused the price spike in most all grades across the board, when it was in fact the 9.4 sale that precipitated the 6.5 sales in the $50k range which preceded the 8.5 sale for $150k and Ghostown's copy for $400k which all happened before the CC auction.  THOSE sales (and a couple others) caused the feeding frenzy and panic buying in the CC auction that has been ongoing since.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

7 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I am just curious why you think two mid grade sales from a couple months ago caused the price spike in most all grades across the board, when it was in fact the 9.4 sale that precipitated the 6.5 sales in the $50k range which preceded the 8.5 sale for $150k and Ghostown's copy for $400k which all happened before the CC auction.  THOSE sales (and a couple others) caused the feeding frenzy and panic buying in the CC auction that has been ongoing since.  

-J.

The CGC 9.4 copy that sold for 4450K on Heritage sold for exactly what Metropolis was offering to pay for CGC 9.4 copies last year.

If the $450K price tag for a CGC 9.4 was such a surprise, why was Metro offering that much for a 9.4 before the copy auctioned?

The CC auction wasn't just 2 mid grade sales. It was 3 sales, including a CGC 9.0 which in my professional opinion was likely upgradeable. It's possible that each of the other mid grades were also upgradeable (remember, we went into detail about this - I spoke to the buyer of the 4.5).

Ghostown's copy was an anomaly (congrats to him for the sale) but it was better looking than the Heritage CGC 9.4.  Even after that gigantic sale, prices still didn't spike for lower grades.

As both GAtor and I (and anyone paying attention) documented, prices changed on eBay (at at shows - I was at C2E2 at the time) for all copies only after the CC auction.

I think some people felt that the CC 9.0 copy legitimized the $450K 9.0 sale.

I guess that depends on whether you believe the 9.0 copy was upgradeable or not.

6 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The CGC 9.4 copy that sold for 4450K on Heritage sold for exactly what Metropolis was offering to pay for CGC 9.4 copies last year.

If the $450K price tag for a CGC 9.4 was such a surprise, why was Metro offering that much for a 9.4 before the copy auctioned?

The CC auction wasn't just 2 mid grade sales. It was 3 sales, including a CGC 9.0 which in my professional opinion was likely upgradeable. It's possible that each of the other mid grades were also upgradeable (remember, we went into detail about this - I spoke to the buyer of the 4.5).

Ghostown's copy was an anomaly (congrats to him for the sale) but it was better looking than the Heritage CGC 9.4.  Even after that gigantic sale, prices still didn't spike for lower grades.

As both GAtor and I (and anyone paying attention) documented, prices changed on eBay (at at shows - I was at C2E2 at the time) for all copies only after the CC auction.

I think some people felt that the CC 9.0 copy legitimized the $450K 9.0 sale.

I guess that depends on whether you believe the 9.0 copy was upgradeable or not.

I appreciate the greater detail in the post.  But the 8.5 for  $150k still came before the CC auction. As did Ghostown's sale.  Apart from you trying to get in the heads of buyers, taking things at face value, the CC auction results were simply a continuation of escalating prices that began with that 9.4, travelling down to more mid grade 6.5's way before the CC auction, etc. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

The $150K CGC 8.5 number was just in line with where it should have been.  I wouldn't consider that a strong sale either. Actually, it went a little cheap IMO because I had the opportunity to buy an 8.5 for $120K about 5 years ago. I thought the 8.5 might have fetched more.

Why didn't it? Was it because it wasn't upgradeable any longer? Maybe.

But as Bob said earlier, very few people want to be the big person to set a new price point.

All you guys talk money all the time so all this finger pointing makes no sens at all....look in the mirror you will see dollar signs!! You guys are only a few of the total members here there are many who just read and never write I am positive some like to know what is going on in terms of sales.

Just look at the last few posts you guys have made 95% or more is money, money and more money!!

Edited by SC22

55 minutes ago, drbanner said:

At some point, one has to come to a certain degree of self-awareness and say "Self, either I am wrong on this, or every other single person is wrong on this." hm

Tell that to the others here not just me most of you guys talk more money than books...don't believe me go research your own posts. Money this money that it's every where on this site. Go to the golden age they talk money and sales all the time yes they post more about their books there than here in the SA but most of it comes down to dollars.

Edited by SC22

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

What we all don't get is how YOU don't get that we are tired of you repeating the same things over and over and over again (do you happen to have a copy of the sign that Jim Jones hung over his throne chair in Jonestown??). I'm sure I speak for many, it's no fun for us.

When was the last time you did not speak about either me or money not very often let me tell you. Judge, judge and judge some more that is a really bad habit....enjoy your life here because I will continue to enjoy mine!!

Edited by SC22

21 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The $150K CGC 8.5 number was just in line with where it should have been.  I wouldn't consider that a strong sale either. Actually, it went a little cheap IMO because I had the opportunity to buy an 8.5 for $120K about 5 years ago. I thought the 8.5 might have fetched more.

Why didn't it? Was it because it wasn't upgradeable any longer? Maybe.

But as Bob said earlier, very few people want to be the big person to set a new price point.

The fact that the 8.5 sold for so much more than it did in the Voldy holder did raise a lot of eyebrows.   

I think Ghosttown's big sale took a lot of people by surprise, and I agree that the CC sale after his affirmed the price point, but I don't agree that the CC auction "started" anything.  The panic buying perhaps started with the CC auction, but I am more interested in what triggered the panic buying as a means for discerning future market trends.  

-J.

1 hour ago, SC22 said:

When was the last time you did not speak about either me or money not very often let me tell you. Judge, judge and judge some more that is a really bad habit....enjoy your life here because I will continue to enjoy mine!!

Professor - I rarely speak about the money side of comcs - I tend to leave that to people who have more experience than I do - you should also. (I think some wise men once said common "sens" is not so common and better to be thought an *ss than type it and prove it.) But when I do talk about the financial side I tend to know what I am talking about. You only try and pump up books that you supposedly own with your brother. How many times can we hear that Hulk 1 is lagging behind AF in VALUE (it makes no sens at all), how great X-Men 1 WITH WHITE PAGES is - so great but a SLOW grower, that AF is the 3rd most important comic in world history, that a Mickey Mantle card is OMG over the top awesome and that a genius like you made a mistake of selling it too early doh!. It makes zero "sens" to me that you can't figure out that until you stop rinse, repeat, rinse repeat, noone will care what you have to say. The sooner you can get a firm grasp on this and reality, then maybe, just maybe (but I doubt it) you will become a useful member on these boards. End of rantrantand if I earn a strike, so be it, especially if you can learn anything from this :foryou:

Edited by Jordysnordy

6 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Professor - I rarely speak about the money side of comcs - I tend to leave that to people who have more experience than I do - you should also. (I think some wise men once said common "sens" is not so common and better to be thought an *ss than type it and prove it.) But when I do talk about the financial side I tend to know what I am talking about. You only try and pump up books that so supposedly own with your brother. How many times can we hear that Hulk 1 is lagging behind AF in VALUE (it makes no sens at all), how great X-Men 1 WITH WHITE PAGES is - so great but a SLOW grower, that AF is the 3rd most important comic in world history, that a Mickey Mantle card is OMG over the top awesome and that a genius like you made a mistake of selling it too early doh!. It makes zero "sens" to me that you can't figure out that until you stop rinse, repeat, rinse repeat, noone will care what you have to say. The sooner you can get a firm grasp on this and reality, then maybe, just maybe (but I doubt it) you will become a useful member on these boards. End of rantrantand if I earn a strike, so be it, especially if you can learn anything from this :foryou:

Well stated Jeff!  I think you speak for all who participate in this thread as well as those who can no longer stomach it.

Edited by comicquant