• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Omaha-CGC-Comics said:

Here is something a bit crazy and odd after pages and pages of ....

I upgraded, and I can't wait to get it in hand this coming week!

af15.thumb.jpg.285d590116f4c559455eddacd2e82d44.jpg

Congrats! It's a great looking copy with no MC! I'd like to upgrade as well but financially not a good time for me.

53 minutes ago, Omaha-CGC-Comics said:

Very nice pick up congrats! :applause:

(Good job re-railing the thread, by the way ;) ).

-J.

2 hours ago, Omaha-CGC-Comics said:

Congrats!!

I'll be honest, I was never a huge AF #15 fan. I was always more of an FF #1 guy but I do love the cover to AF #15.

It's kind of strange that outside the awesome cover of AF #15, Jack Kirby could never really capture Spider-man well like Ditko did.

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I'll be honest, I was never a huge AF #15 fan. I was always more of an FF #1 guy but I do love the cover to AF #15.

It's kind of strange that outside the awesome cover of AF #15, Jack Kirby could never really capture Spider-man well like Ditko did.

Strange, but many hobbyists do not know that Kirby did the cover of AF15. I for one did not know that until last year. I thought I knew everything about this book. We live we learn.

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I always liked this explanation of Kirby vs. Ditko pencils on ASM:

"Lee and Kirby "immediately sat down for a story conference" and Lee afterward directed Kirby to flesh out the character and draw some pages. "A day or two later", Kirby showed Lee the first six pages, and, as Lee recalled, "I hated the way he was doing it. Not that he did it badly — it just wasn't the character I wanted; it was too heroic".

Lee turned to Ditko, who developed a visual motif Lee found satisfactory,[21] although Lee would later replace Ditko's original cover with one penciled by Kirby. Ditko said, "The Spider-Man pages Stan showed me were nothing like the (eventually) published character. In fact, the only drawings of Spider-Man were on the splash [i.e., page 1] and at the end [where] Kirby had the guy leaping at you with a web gun... Anyway, the first five pages took place in the home, and the kid finds a ring and turns into Spider-Man."

Ditko also recalled that, "One of the first things I did was to work up a costume. A vital, visual part of the character. I had to know how he looked ... before I did any breakdowns. For example: A clinging power so he wouldn't have hard shoes or boots, a hidden wrist-shooter versus a web gun and holster, etc. ... I wasn't sure Stan would like the idea of covering the character's face but I did it because it hid an obviously boyish face. It would also add mystery to the character...."

15 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

All of your empty posturing and windmill tilting is negated by the fact that you backed out of a big comic book deal with Joey.

I think between that and your previous posts nothing else needs to be said.

15 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

All of your empty posturing and windmill tilting is negated by the fact that you backed out of a big comic book deal with Joey.

I think between that and your previous posts nothing else needs to be said.

If by "backing out of a deal", you mean not agreeing to pay another one of his gouge prices, and terminating negotiations, then yeah, that's what happened.  (thumbsu As far as the book in question, he already owned it and had sent it out for a press.  He's lying about that part.  And yeah, I have the emails to prove it.  Wanna see them ?  Or should I just keep going here?

A professional would simply move on.  But evidently Roulette44 likes to throw temper tantrums and try to intimidate people in front of big crowds.  If I was a dealer that's not the light I would be wanting to portray myself under.  But hey, like I said.  To each his own.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

46 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Interesting point. The fascinating thing about Kirby is that he'd make his mark as the greatest SA artist with examples like his FF books and the Marvel anthologies during the Marvel SA. In fact, Kirby also made his mark (to a lesser extent) with the early DC Silver Age '56-'60. Your point about Kirby never capturing Spidey the way Ditko did after Jack drew what is one of the 20th Century's most iconic covers - AF 15 - has me imagining this scenario: Kirby "flew" in to make his mark by drawing the preferred cover (we know Ditko's version was rejected) and moved on to the Marvel Age characters that fit into his art and mythologically based perspective.  Luck was on Kirby's side in this instance. The "Comic Book New Gods of Marvel" had chosen Kirby for this one mission- he didn't have to do anything else with Spidey. I could see Kirby saying "veni, vidi, vici" with the Amazing one and continue working with Stan Lee on the greatest Marvel run of the Silver Age that they stared in'61...

Edited by bronze johnny

43 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Whatever is happening with the AF #15 prices aside,  If the Fantastic four's movie rights where with marvel and they where being kept  relevant as members of the marvel Movie universe, do you think FF#1 would be rivaling AF #15 in price appreciation?  I personally Love FF#1-20

9 minutes ago, paul747 said:

Whatever is happening with the AF #15 prices aside,  If the Fantastic four's movie rights where with marvel and they where being kept  relevant as members of the marvel Movie universe, do you think FF#1 would be rivaling AF #15 in price appreciation?  I personally Love FF#1-20

FF1 is a great book and it has been dead for some years but I don;t believe that will last....and no I don't own a FF1. In my opinion it should be #2 in the top 10 SA but sales don't allow that.

Edited by SC22

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

I will no longer be responding to your silly and transparent posts on this topic.  

-J.

:banana::headbang:(worship)

As far as AF 15 goes, I love seeing the new copies that are popping up here (in between long arguments among a variety of boardies)...I agree that the current pricing won't (can't?) be the long-term norm, but most of all I agree that this thread is a lot more fun with discussions about Kirby and Ditko and Stan the Man and the history of the actual book than more personal beefs.

Regarding some stubborn souls in this thread, the 'ignore' feature is a must-have.  I respect all those who want to fight the good fight, but to be honest I think attention -- in any form, through any means -- is all that certain boardies want.  I have several on 'ignore' and it makes my Board life peaceful and even enjoyable.

On with AF 15!  My 3.0 chipped copy still holds a very special place in my collection, and I love to see other (much more beautiful) examples.  

Dan

Too much drama happening on here so let's divert back to talking about AF 15.  There's a decent looking 4.0 copy at the CL Exchange, has a slight misalignment at bottom.  Curious to see how much it would sell for.

16 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Too much drama happening on here so let's divert back to talking about AF 15.  There's a decent looking 4.0 copy at the CL Exchange, has a slight misalignment at bottom.  Curious to see how much it would sell for.

Fine,i'll be on topic for once.

Here's my 1.5 -finally found a photo of it.It's beat but it's mine!

48514f0c-c143-4848-9dec-106f37b2abb8_zps