• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,479 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think we have a serious bidder here. Good luck !!!

Surely Roy or GAtor will chime in here. We have a world record for a grade 8.0 evolving. Incredible.

Edited by peewee22

6 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Surely Roy or GAtor will chime in here. We have a world record for a grade 8.0 evolving. Incredible.

More than you or I was offered 

12 hours ago, NoMan said:

If CVA endorses the CGC grade, does anyone endorse the CVA endorsement of the endorsed CGC grade?

I hereby announce the grand opening of C6: the Collectibles by Baker, CVA Certified Certification Company for CGC.

Edited by cbbcomics

8 hours ago, SC22 said:

What's this fixation with CVA? Another of your transparent attempts to pump AF 15s? 

The broken record continues to play...

On 5/19/2017 at 4:09 PM, VintageComics said:

I'd love to know where you've disagreed with me.  :devil:

via PM of course so that we don't derail this thread.

Derail this thread? :baiting:

This thread has been derailed for the last couple months.

Edited by nWo_22

Just now, G.A.tor said:

I like Tomis but never understood cva marketing appeal.  I mean if you have two eyes that work, you should be able to visually determine a nicer looking book,  right ?

I also like Tomas but this type of gimmick is similar to giving ice away in the winter...

So when did the AF #15 club turn into the AF #15 stock/commodity hedge fund manager thread?

Christ at this point I would take another worthless comics general CGC turnaround times thread. :whatev:

Edited by nWo_22

I don't get this CVA sticker. What is it based on? Their opinion of any said book? The AF 8.0 has the sticker on it but is this an exceptional copy? To me an exceptional copy would be a 9.4 or 9.6 - maybe I'm missing something (shrug)

2 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

I don't get this CVA sticker. What is it based on? Their opinion of any said book? The AF 8.0 has the sticker on it but is this an exceptional copy? To me an exceptional copy would be a 9.4 or 9.6 - maybe I'm missing something (shrug)

Apparently it means it has exceptional eye appeal for the assigned grade, but I don't get it either. (shrug)

Edited by Philreal

1 hour ago, bronze johnny said:

What's this fixation with CVA? Another of your transparent attempts to pump AF 15s? 

The broken record continues to play...

No actually I had never seen a AF15 with that designation hence my question.

27 minutes ago, Philreal said:

Apparently it means it has exceptional eye appeal for the assigned grade, but I don't get it either. (shrug)

I want to know how many they've turned down.  Do they keep the money if its "not exceptional"?  Is there literally someone just flipping through the books; "exceptional, exceptional, not exceptional, exceptional, not except...  wait, exceptional".  Its ridiculous...  This is easy to do with sports cards or stamps (centering, perforation uniformity etc) because it can be quantified digitally (In fact my dad has the first patent on digitally measuring the centering of a stamp) but is entirely too variable to be useful with comics.  Not to mention there are many opinions on whats considered exceptional.  I've seen CVA stickers on books with the staple on the front cover 1/4 inch to the right of the spine.  To me, thats worse than a mis-cut...  Its just another shiny object to dangle in our faces.

13 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I want to know how many they've turned down.  Do they keep the money if its "not exceptional"?  Is there literally someone just flipping through the books; "exceptional, exceptional, not exceptional, exceptional, not except...  wait, exceptional".  Its ridiculous...  This is easy to do with sports cards or stamps (centering, perforation uniformity etc) because it can be quantified digitally (In fact my dad has the first patent on digitally measuring the centering of a stamp) but is entirely too variable to be useful with comics.  Not to mention there are many opinions on whats considered exceptional.  I've seen CVA stickers on books with the staple on the front cover 1/4 inch to the right of the spine.  To me, thats worse than a mis-cut...  Its just another shiny object to dangle in our faces.

Flipping through books in slabs - sounds like a very precise exercise  :whee:

Edited by Jordysnordy

1 hour ago, Philreal said:
1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

I believe the idea comes from the coin market

Coins not only have a much finer grading scale (62, 62, 64, 65 etc, rather than 9.2/9.4/9.6) I believe some companies use markings to designate pieces that are exceptional for the grade. I know Voldemart does something similar as well on their comics.

It's just another way for internet buyers to differentiate books when they either can't hold them in hand or don't know how to grade themselves.

I don't see any harm in it. I do see it potentially achieving stronger prices (although not necessarily every time).

24 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I believe the idea comes from the coin market

Coins not only have a much finer grading scale (62, 62, 64, 65 etc, rather than 9.2/9.4/9.6) I believe some companies use markings to designate pieces that are exceptional for the grade. I know Voldemart does something similar as well on their comics.

It's just another way for internet buyers to differentiate books when they either can't hold them in hand or don't know how to grade themselves.

I don't see any harm in it. I do see it potentially achieving stronger prices (although not necessarily every time).

I'm sure it will potentially bring higher prices on some books.  But to me it leaves it open to a potential payola type situation. I don't know what they charge for books to go through their CVA process, but to me, it seems open to some sort of manipulation for people to get the CVA sticker on their slabs by tossing extra money at them (just MY opinion and I have ZERO proof of this ever happening)