• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bronze johnny said:

My point about  AF 15 and JIM 83 is that Spidey's first appearance in a lesser grade is in no way 10x the value of Thor's. That's what makes this current auction ridiculous.

X-Men 1 CGC 9.0 in same auction has bidding around 21K.

7 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

X-Men 1 CGC 9.0 in same auction has bidding around 21K.

Further evidence showing just how ridiculous the current AF 15 auction is. 

43 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Funny thing is Brannon, never saw this as an "us v. them." Read my post carefully.

Respectfully,

john

It's a joke John, please don't take it personal. There are mixed emotions about that auction I'm just making light of it. PM sent. (thumbsu

Am I concerned about the auction? You bet, both ways. I smile and frown every time I view it.

Edited by peewee22

51 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

there's a lot of hatred for af15 mania.  

Don't worry, there are a couple full-time cheerleaders for this book that offset it. And I'm not talking about SC22 either. lol

On 5/21/2017 at 6:15 PM, delekkerste said:

It'll be interesting to see how much people "love owning this book" when prices inevitably correct and it starts costing people real money to hold on to it.  At that point, we'll see who's really in it for the love, and who's motivations are more financial than they may be willing to admit to themselves while prices are rising.

As to when it may correct and from what level, I will not hazard to speculate publicly, other than to say that Sqeggs is right on - this is a textbook bubble where prices are rising from already lofty levels simply because prices are rising, with no fundamental justification whatsoever. NOTHING that has been said here to justify the price increases this year was unknown 6 months ago at lower price levels.

This.

1 hour ago, Spiderturtle said:

I don't see the af15 guys going over to the golden age area and hating on the "classic covers" or the pre-robin tecs. 

Do you really think that in terms of percentage valuations they'd be in the same ballpark as we are seeing with AF15 ?

And answer me this, why in your WTB for an AF15 7.5 started yesterday you were offering 102K when a 8.0 is currently at 260K ?

At minima, you should now offer 200K+ for a purchase.

Ah yes, that steaming train ...

Edited by Gotham Kid

21 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

It's a joke John, please don't take it personal. There are mixed emotions about that auction I'm just making light of it. PM sent. (thumbsu

Am I concerned about the auction? You bet, both ways. I smile and frown every time I view it.

Always good Brannon(thumbsu

Sent you a pm

16 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Do you really think that in terms of percentage valuations they'd be in the same ballpark as we are seeing with AF15 ?

And answer me this, why in your WTB for an AF15 7.5 started yesterday you were offering 102K when a 8.0 is currently at 260K ?

At minima, you should offer 200K for a purchase.

steaming..Peter,you are making it hard for me not to be immature.

7 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

you are making it hard for me not to be immature

are you filling in for SC22 lol (who has likely had a moderator strike as he has been unusually quiet) 

Edited by Gotham Kid

23 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Blah

23 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

At minima, you should offer 200K for a purchase.

Wish I could find one at cover price. 

Just now, Spiderturtle said:

24 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Blah

chugga chugga choo choo train ...

I'm inexperienced in the hobby/business compared to some, but it seems that this auction, alone, has drawn a lot of rightful speculation about the reasons for such bidding. It could be a die-hard fan, hobbiest or non-hobbiest investor, or market manipulation. I've read a lot about "ground breaking" sales in the past that many thought absurd, but later turned out to be wise. Still, has the hobby ever seen anything like this?

9 minutes ago, cbbcomics said:

I'm inexperienced in the hobby/business compared to some, but it seems that this auction, alone, has drawn a lot of rightful speculation about the reasons for such bidding. It could be a die-hard fan, hobbiest or non-hobbiest investor, or market manipulation. I've read a lot about "ground breaking" sales in the past that many thought absurd, but later turned out to be wise. Still, has the hobby ever seen anything like this?

Jason, I don't think anyone expected this book to pass 150k (maybe a little past that). It could any of the above things you mentioned. I've not seen anything like this in a Silver Age sale (in this grade range). And one sale does not make a trend. We all need to swallow 2 of those tablets. Will this auction be good for the hobby? We will have to wait and see. :fear:

Edited by peewee22

3 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

I've not seen anything like this in a Silver Age sale. And one sale does not make a trend. We all need to swallow 2 of those tablets.

Me neither, Brannon. If by "tablets" you're referring to glasses of bourbon... done and done. :whistle:

15 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Jason, I don't think anyone expected this book to pass 150k (maybe a little past that). It could any of the above things you mentioned. I've not seen anything like this in a Silver Age sale (in this grade range). And one sale does not make a trend. We all need to swallow 2 of those tablets. Will this auction be good for the hobby? We will have to wait and see. :fear:

Perhaps currently the floor of an 8.0 is 200k. From the bids in this auction, sure seems like three bidders are willing to go that route. Bidders willing to step up to the plate, so they can secure this a copy in a 8.0. Remember in 1990's the White Mountain copy sold for 40K and that was absurd and raised a lot of eyebrows. I've could not predicted this but felt 200k was possible.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

50 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

lol 200K for a 7.5 seems crazy!!